A Module With Classic Piano Sounds

Yep second the integra. Got everything you ask and more. The supernatural rom sounds are better than the old 90’s romplers in my experience.

Would add suggestion of the Old Kurzweil k2000/2500 rack modules if it comes with the piano and contemporary expansions, and even if it doesn’t. Just sounds great in the mix. Can also sample in your own as well. Plus the synth engine is pretty special.

There’s a very cool Wurlitzer patch for the Digitone here that you might like.

2 Likes

The Dexibell VIVO SX7 (https://dexibell.com/prodotto/vivo-sx7/?lang=en) seems to be pretty advanced and the most recent one.

i got that one! it rocks.

Awesome, although I am not the OP. But I see he saw your post too so its all good

thanks for all the reply’s guys!
The internal debate for me is that there’s plenty of VST’s available to mimic these vintage piano/synth sounds. By far the cheapest solution as I do have that available. But i find that every time i open my PC i lose motivation. This was more of a scout to see if there were modules that had enough sounds available; but for a decent one you are looking at a bit of a budget.

So is that Wurlitzer patch for Digitone the right answer for you or are you going to keep looking?

Good call on the 2500 rack! I had one on loan for a few weeks years ago and it sounded really impressive. :+1:

Why not just embrace this and use your laptop like a module? Run something like kontakt or pianoteq in standalone mode and just close your laptop and put it under your table or something, just treating your soundcard like the module itself. These programs can change patches via midi and its not like piano sounds are inviting to tweak on the fly (maybe pianoteq opens this up more but I’m not fully sure.) Once you set it up once you can save all the mappings and settings, which you would most likely have to do with a module anyways. You can even use the money you were going to spend on a separate module to get a separate soundcard that can permanently live in your hardware setup if you want to further break apart the computer-ness of the whole thing.

1 Like

I have been after something like theirs for years going through a lot of stuff. Then i realized you either get the original keyboard or something like the Keyscape plug in. Think a vst cant beat hardware emulations? Look at this

true i keep circling back to that solution. VSTs aplenty!
Lots of other great solutions tho; if a pianobox was made in 2021 for <100 bucks it would be worthwhile imo.

You just reminded me of the Roland MKS-20 piano module.

In the contemporary gospel scene, it’s popular to layer the MKS with a sampled piano sound - typically on a Yamaha Motif rompler. It’s so in demand in that scene that Gospel Musicians released an MKS sample pack.

https://gospelmusicians.com/mksensation-motif.html

My guess is Roland and other companies stopped making piano modules because the sales have been poor compared to keyboards.

And of course the MKS-20 is all over house tracks from the '80-90s.

1 Like

I’ll take your word for it. I could never tell the difference between MKS piano and Korg M1/Triton piano when they’re in the mix. Isolated, maybe.

I understand Deelite at least used an M1 for piano and organ tones. They obtained it around the time that “more serious” musos started dumping M1s in favor of Tritons.