A few questions from a beginner

Hello everyone, I’m new to the Elektron world, just got my Digitakt a couple days ago.

I’ve prepared myself watching a dozen hours of tutorials videos, and it sure helped me a lot! I’ve also read the manual, and a few stuff on this forum.

I still have a few questions i don’t find answers for though:

1_ Is there a way to trigger fills only for a single track?

2_ Is there a way to setup 1 trig to play 2 different notes on 2 different probabilities?

At the moment i use the 1:2 condition on one step, and negative pre on the next step that i microtime as much as possible to the previous step, but it doesn’t go all the way… It’s not ideal and doesn’t feel like a satisfying workaround to the 64 steps limitations.

3_ I read that there was a solo mode and it got removed. Has it been, or will it be reintegrated?

Thank you so much for your time, and hopefully answers.
Take care of yourselves and others, and make music :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome @poolay_free.

No.

No. You know the workaround with 2 trigs and /PRE.

I didn’t hear about it…

6 Likes

I was hoping otherwise… it is what it is i guess :grin:

Thanks for the quick answers!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Previous discussion:

4 Likes

In theory, you can fill MIDI tracks with additional trigs using corresponding channels (1 AUDIO = A MIDI, 2 AUDIO = B MIDI etc) using midi loopback. Muting and unmuting corresponding MIDI channel will give you variation that can simulate ‘per-track’ fill function. Never tried this anyway, seems too clunky atm.

That’s how it works

You can always double the speed of sequence or desired track (press FUNC+FILL and select 2х option) and/or double the tempo of the entire sequence (e.g. 162 BPM vs 81 BPM - I always play in double tempo). That gives more precise sequencer grid resolution and leaves space for additional trigs. The drawback is that you get a shorter sequence, but who cares since you have % or x:8 trig conditions, the sequence can be much longer than one could expect.

3 Likes

Nice midi loopback idea !
I am ok with FILL for all anyway.
I am also ok with X1 resolution. :wink:

(@poolay_free, are you french ?
I could read a PUN in your name…)

wow I had no idea there used to be a solo function. to my knowledge, this is the only time any Elektron machine has ever had this.

Octatrack has a solo function.

2 Likes

hah! somehow this escaped me! I hope I’m wrong about others now…

1 Like

AR has solo as well.

2 Likes

damn! keep ‘em comin’!

3 Likes

And there is the famous trick :
Mute all other tracks! :arrow_right:

2 Likes

haha yeah it’s a feature I never really find myself looking for. which is why I missed that it existed, I guess!

1 Like

The best solo technique for the DT is manual

5 Likes

Get yourself some sample chains going, it’s a huge jump in workflow.