909 midi-chain issue with Elektron

Hey Elektronauts.

Im setting up a live performance setup and i have finally plugged almost ALL my machines together, including the tr-909. Its a well maintained 909 with eprom v4 upgrade. It usually sync fine with midi.

However, this time, when i connect it as midi-chain number two, it does not start sequencing. I then need to kickstart it by hitting “stop/continue”. When i do this it starts sequencing, but not necessarily in the right place. But the tempo is in sync.

If i connect it as midi-chain nr one, it works fine, in sync.

I.e.

I connect the tr-909 directly to midi out of the “master” midi clock, the Octatrack. The 909 starts as it should, and runs in sync.

But if i then sync the Octatrack as slave to Ableton midi out, having Ableton as midi master, and the 909 as slave to the Octatrack, it does not start.

Same if i use the Octatrack as master, a RYTM as midi-slave nr 1, and the 909 as midi slave nr 2. The 909 does not start, but runs in sync when i kickstart it. If i make the Rytm the master and 909 slave nr 1, it starts and run fine…

Have anybody any idea whats going on? And how i potentially could solve it?

To begin with, tell us what connections you are making with all your MIDI (and USB, if applicable) cables.

For example, “OT MIDI Thru to TR MIDI In”.

Hi there, thanks for your reply…

Regarding the midi connections, i have tried different things.

Octatrack -> midi out -> 909 - Works fine
Ableton -> USB -> Analog keys -> 909 - Dont start
Octatrack -> midi out -> Analog Rytm -> midi out - Dont start
Analog Rytm -> midi out -> 909 - Works fine

I have also tried Analog Rytm -> Midi out -> Kenton solo -> midi out -> 909 - dont start

To me it seems like some of the midi signal disappears when i have more machines in between

Have you tried OT midi out -> A4 midi thru -> 909?

Octatrack -> midi out -> 909 - Same
Ableton -> USB -> Analog keys -> THRU-> 909 - Change
Octatrack -> midi out -> Analog Rytm -> THRU -> 909 - Change
Analog Rytm -> midi out -> 909 - Same
Analog Rytm -> Midi out -> Kenton solo -> THRU-> 909 - Change

I’m pretty sure you need to use Thru. Clock ticks and start/stop, i believe, have to be sent from the original machine, so Thru allows this.
Change where it says Change above. Thru will not work if you are directly connected to the master machine.

Thru passes everything a machine receives to the Thru. Out only sends what that machine is sending out.

Oh, that actually makes sense. I have always though of midi thru as same as midi out, just without the midi out options (as midi keyboard routing etc).

Ill try this when i get to the studio and keep you posted with results later on…

Cheers

Here’s your problem. You would need to connect the AR MIDI Thru to TR MIDI In in order for the OT’s clock and transport messages to be passed to the TR.

Edit: the same as jsz and udenjoe recommended.

I have actually the same issue with my 909 synced to the octatrack as master. No issues with other sequencers as master. Kinda annoying. As long as i don’t hit the stop transport button on the octatrack more then once it will start fine.

Hi again,

So I tried the above, and it had something to it. It seems that whatever midi device is connected to the 909 ( and probably any other device which is not elektron?) needs to just “pass” the midi signal thru, not send it out, as long as its not mastet. A long chain can I.E be:

Ableton -> USB -> Analog keys -> Midi out -> Octatrack - Midi out -> Analog rytm -> Midi thru -> 909

But its quite buggy. It only work 50% of the time. I still need to “kickstart” the 909, but not as often as before. But i think this is a “old-analog-machine” issue.

It seems like more people in this forum has somewhat the same setup as me, with Elektron machines and 909 etc. How would you guys recommend setting up a more stable midi setup with the 909? Im creating a live set, so its important that everything works on stage. (and im not super stoked on using the tr-8)

I switched to din sync the 909, problem gone

hmm. i have a kenton solo… is it just to buy a eprom v1 from ebay and im back to good old stable 909?

no need for eprom v1… i have v4 as well and din sync just work fine. For what I know, v4 is needed for stable midi sync. And din sync is working on all versions fine.

i don’t know what’s wrong with midi sync the 909 elektron boxes, something is odd and resulting in the same issues as you are describing.

if you have a kenton, use it and your 909 will sync perfect in time and start/stops also when you hut start/stop on the octatrack.

1 Like

Hi, i just tried this, but it doesnt seem to work. No contact with the 909 what so ever with din sync. Do i need to “turn it on” in some way?

You need to setup the kenton so it sending the din sync signal (mine can switch between midi thru / din sync for that port) and on the 909 you need to set din sync too (each time you switch it on you need to manually set it to din sync in pattern mode)

1 Like