5MC šŸ•

sounds like success. good job!

i might attempt this with the digitakt but need to do some vigorous calisthenics first to get in the zone.

If anybody wants to see someone panic, and fail miserably while trying to speed run through this challenge, here is my attempt, so hopefully, you can learn from my mistakes.

Good luck.

EDIT : something is wrong with the audio on this file, please stand by.
EDIT 2 : now you get a YouTube link instead, to save you a download :slight_smile:

EDIT 3 : My advice if you try it: make sure you have a start click when recording your samples, to avoid having to cut them afterwards. Spending those extra 3 seconds at the beginning of each recording will save you almost 2 minutes down the line.

EDIT 4: some context for a few points in the video

• The last two samples are recorded from MIDI synths in Ableton Live, so you donā€™t hear them being recorded.
  • Importing into Transfer failed for two samples, forcing me to retry, losing seconds that can be optimized in another run.
  • The routing is : Microphone into interface, into Live. Model Samples into Voice Memos through USB, and through my headphones (with click track) with line out.
  • My guitar is a trained professional, and did not get hurt in the making of this video (0:53 for the stunt).
6 Likes

I think my weapon of choice will be Digitone. I can work fairly quick with it, but 5 mins will be tough. I also failed at the X GND Squadron challenge, so this might be fun to take a stab at.

1 Like

DN would be so much better for this if you could use presets. Iā€™m simply not good enough at programming DN sounds to get anything worthwhile in five minutes. maybe a kick, hats and a melody. even then itā€™d be super basic sound design.

honestly the time limit is so small and the limitations so large, I donā€™t feel Iā€™d gain much from doing it. other than killing some time to make a trash beat, I guess.

3 Likes

I think youā€™ve summed it up pretty accurate. Maybe dump percussion / drums and just focus on melodic content with some nice bassline underneath. Hard to make anything solid in 5 minutes but at least everyone will be on a level playing.

1 Like

Especially with elektron gear! Fiddly!

2 Likes

@waftlord probably last questions : are midi controllers allowed? (Keyboard with knobs, Footcontroller, without midi sequence / arp)

Midi loopback possible?

Midi sequencing of a synth from the box?

1 Like

Are you procrastinating? :stuck_out_tongue: Or are you trying to get us more limitations?!

2 Likes

pretty sure only input devices allowed are sticks and rocks found in a natural setting. no smooth stones!

4 Likes

First attempt.

19 Likes

Nice work @Fin25 You are living proof you can actually knock something out in 5 minutes thatā€™s good. I actually really like the jam

2 Likes

to keep it simplistic and on an even keel: No, No and No.

interesting that so far ambient room sound has been included, which adds a nice tension (frantic twiddling and tapping) but isnā€™t necessary.

Frantic Twiddling and Tapping : alternative title to 5MCšŸ•

1 Like

mine too.
5 minutes is rough.
We will be listening to a lot of drum patterns here.

1 Like

Great challenge! Didnā€™t get far in 5 minutes but this left an itch to try again.

10 Likes

Grumpy git thanks you for not starting with a bass drum metronome.

2 Likes

Donā€™t know why but I almost always start with a Bassline these days.

Also, I hate metronomes, they donā€™t help me at all.

1 Like

Its the proper place to start.

I agree, metronomes dont help me either.

1 Like

Iā€™m up for this - but really donā€™t get the limitations!

Iā€™m on a digitakt - are you saying, basically, that I have to sample all elements into the box within the 5 minutes, and those samples need to be recorded via the inputs and canā€™t be a pre-prepared sample with, say, a kick, bass, snare etcā€¦

If thatā€™s all correct then I would suggest that those using boxes with synths should have to start with init patches.

1 Like

thatā€™s covered with ā€œnothing from banksā€ Iā€™d say