5MC 🕐

brutal and unforgiving. on the test ones i recorded all i could see/hear was stuff i should’ve done differently…
However in terms of this challenge 5 minutes is a nice, digestible and entertaining insight into different approaches with the Elektron sequencer and sound engines.

nah, this one runs forever.

1 Like

Goddamnit!

9 Likes

:thinking: still not clear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
What if the performance last 3 minutes? Seems short btw.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:…
Would be fun. What’s the tails duration limit, 30 m? :content:

So I can make a 3m song, with a 32m tail? :crazy_face:

1 Like

if you feel you can record samples, prepare them and arrange them into an exciting, rewarding, dynamic video within 3 minutes then go right ahead. i’d love to see/hear it!

as this probably will keep getting asked i reckon a 1 minute limit if you’re doing some involved LFO/delay mod trickery. (but it’s “hands off” after 0:00)

1 Like

Sounds like fun, I might try to give it a go especially as my attempts at doing a GND Squadron track didn’t quite work out. My only issue will be trying to figure out how to record it and then sync the audio…

https://www.openshot.org

this editor is free and straightforward for importing video from your phone and audio from your daw.

3 Likes

I wanted to give it a try, but I use a model Samples. Which only uses samples…

But can’t sample.

Which would mean recording something somehow, then using Elektron Transfer to put it somewhere inside the M:S, then only start making music.

Within 5 minutes.

:disappointed:

EDIT : I will try it anyway, then report back to base (which is this thread).

2 Likes

yeah, you’re not the first person to bring up the M:S (Rytm mk1 sampling) workflow…

The way i see it the USB/Transfer connection on the Samples is pretty quick right?

Therefore you’d be sampling within software on a computer, trimming/exporting the sample(s). Then dragging into Transfer, importing the sample(s) into the Model and off you go.
This is pretty much identical to the process on MD/DT/Octa albeit with a computer doing the importing/amplitude/trimming aspects.
If i was hard pushed to call it i’d say this could be fairly similar in length to the admin of creating a machine, recording, prepping sample etc.
Especially if you have everything pre-setup so you just have to hit record on computer, trim, drag, import.

Appreciate hearing more from Model:Samples users if you feel it’s truly inhibiting towards this 5MCimage challenge.

edit: single cycle waves are now permitted as building blocks for your sound design on sample based machines.

1 Like

If you have an iPhone or iPad check this app :

I used it on Digitakt, I can try on a MS.

1 Like

Thanks! I tried it with my iPad and I could not get it to work properly :frowning:

5 minutes? No prep? Pppfff Im out.
Turn gear on, let mixer and synths warm up, put kettle on, brew tea. Thats 5 minutes gone, easy.

Or… turn OT and monotribe on, record 2.5 minutes of kickass monotribe jam into OT. Play it back, fiddle with OT scenes for 2.5 minutes. Done. Id be grumpy though. No tea.

8 Likes

I’m putting together a team of seasoned lawyers and parliamentarians to figure out the rules of this challenge. Will report back shortly.

9 Likes

Youve got 5 minutes, go!

3 Likes

Could you not switch the Synths on and make (even drink) your tea before starting the challenge though?

I might have a go at it with my Cycles.

Might not.

See how I feel.

Well, I tried it, I can confirm that even with a ton of preparation, recording 6 sounds into Ableton Live, dropping them into Transfer then setting gain and start/finish points on M:S takes 4:30 minutes, solid. So I had time to make a kick and a snare over a click track.

Not so cool haha.

3 Likes

I quite like this challenge mostly because it sounds nigh on impossible to make something polished (part of the point really) meaning the shite I would’ve produced might have stacked up nicely :joy:

Shame I don’t have any Elektrons these days. Would’ve been a blast with the OT. Quick record the radio, twiddle knobs while/post recording, boom! Shit sandwich but 5 minutes nailed!

Looking forward to hearing folks efforts.

3 Likes

5 seconds would be much better

10 Likes

I’d like to listen to that grumpy jam!

1 Like

Look at Mr. Showoff over here with an actual beat made.

7 Likes

No.
The ritual must be completed.
One doesn’t simply walk in to Mordor. They had a cup of tea (and biscuits mind) first.

3 Likes