3rd Wave from Groove Synthesis -- Both Keyboard & Desktop

I think one could do some Front Line Assembly: Neural Implant style things with this. :wink:

This is really cool! How does this work on the 3rd wave? Do you record directly into it or into your DAW, transfer to 3rd wave, and it converts audio into wavetable?

1 Like

Even easier! I plugged my phone into the audio input, found the cartoon clip I wanted on YouTube, hit record. Once it finished pulling in as much as I was playing, there are knobs assigned to trim the start and end of the table. Then you save it to the table bank. That’s it.

Here’s the clip I used:

3 Likes

That’s incredible, somehow I completely overlooked that you can do that!

1 Like

The sound of that vocal table reminds me of this track. :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that @Scot_Solida will approve. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thinking out loud :

Groove Synthesis added MPE to both, but the keyboard is channel aftertouch. They will be at Superbooth ( thread ) in a month. Does the “absolute maximum version” change then ?

1 Like

That would be amazing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A Poly AT keyboard version would be excellent! I’m not sure if that alone would constitute a MkII or Deluxe model though.

The voice count is already perfect.

Maybe a touch more DSP or some-such.

It’s difficult to think of anything the 3rd Wave actually needs other than PolyAT. :smiley:

I’m using the Keystage 61 with my desktop, and it’s really nice. I’ve been thinking about switching to the Novation though because it has the Fatar PolyAT keybed. It’s a lot bigger depth-wise though, so not sure. The Korg is fine, but as with the Hydra, the action is a bit light for my taste. It works very well, but I like a bit more substance.

I also thought about getting an Iridium KB to use as a synth of course, but also as the controller for everything, a bit expensive though, and once again fairly large depth-wise. I really need to get a different desk. :grin:

1 Like

How about the Linnstrument ? You would have polyphonic sliding and aftertouch.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about things like that. My brother has a Continuum, I’ve had various button matrix things, and always wanted a Madrona Labs controller.

That said, I’d probably have to go Osmose. I have too big a piano and keys background scored into my brain, and actually have a bit of a resistance to learning new instrument styles. A lot of muscle memory etc.

It now has a sample oscillator option. It’s always tough to justify synths this pricey but man is this thing packed to the brim with everything I like in a synth. Really thinking about moving my ob-6 and M for one of these.

7 Likes

Be careful! I got to try out the M and 3rd wave side by side a while ago and the M just has such a great sound. I was thinking the same thing wondering about replacing my M with the desktop version, but the 3rd wave sound just didn’t do it for me despite all the features.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve played both and I’m inclined to say the M holds its own, sound wise. Many feature differences though.

2 Likes

I shouldn’t let my eyes wander from the M lol. It is a very special synth.

1 Like

I love mine. I’ve played the M (though never owned it), and in my case I prefer the 3rd Wave.

As with all instruments, it’s best if you play them in person to see what fits your tastes/needs.

3 Likes

This is freakin amazing! Groove Synthesis told me some new improvements to the sound engine was coming but I hadn’t imagined this. It’s like we just got the ProphetX in our 3rd Wave :grinning:

1 Like

This synth just gets better and better (and it started off incredible)!

I will never be parted from mine (until I get the keyboard version anyway, and may still hold onto the desktop version when I do). :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I did try the ‘sampling’ option on the M too, and while it’s really idiosyncratic (or it’s just being 80s), it’s an interesting option that I’d have explored more if I didn’t have to sell the synth. Loved the sound though, gorgeous.

1 Like

That looks (and sounds) great!

Very classy update! I recently played one and was amazed at both the sound and premium feel. As others state, the M is really not far behind at all, especially soundwise, IMHO. I’m holding on to the M for now