300+ bpm

I think Ableton can reach 999 bpm.
You can also use CV to MIDI devices I guess.

need fully OT solution

gonna play with RYTMs internal settings before looking at gear

cant find any midi clocks that are over 300 BPM

What is your target bpm?

360-460

1 Like

I guess some resampling could be used… Sample breaks at 460 bpm and use slices on a track played at twice speed for instance.

Not that you can also chain patterns to reach the 64 steps at twice-speed.

You have a retrig on each step, that also retrig the amp envelope (accessible through microtiming menu, @sezare56’s favorite ): that could be used for repeated hits (such as hats maybe).

…what is this?

the more bpm the better…?

300 bpm as the inner max definded speed is made by decision…
u can always double up scale behaviour…and if 600 bpm is still not fast enough for u guys to come up with some decent music of any kind, well than slave them by anything that goes beyond…
all machines will follow strict orders, once be told to do so…

but whatever ur sonic content might be…beyond 1000 bpm it becomes one tone for itself again…
no groove left to dance to, i’m afraid…

so grooves and soundscapes to move along with in any human fashion, ain’t sellin’ no more in the days of doom?
is that it…?

IMHO it’s a technical reason to make sure that the processor can keep up doing its job even in the most busiest case (tons of MIDI messages coming in and going out + a trig on every step of each track + all effects in their most time consuming setup + the user hammering the controls).

By taking care of such edge cases and don’t burden the user with balancing the workload they can guarantee a rock solid device. IMHO especially for a live instrument this is a must-have.

1 Like

…no technical restriction…only musical decison…while yes, somewhere u have to draw the line…

Are you wanting to make some extratone tracks? Usually done in a daw. The volca kick has a mode that will allow absurdly high bpm. 999 I think.

Yeah midi bandwidth consideration as @tnussb said, consider a few channels each with an event on the same step, bearing in mind midi is a serial not parallel protocol, then add in timing clock, then it is easy to see why designers set the limit at 300bpm.

Of course they weren’t probably thinking about “black midi” :slight_smile:

Deluge can indeed go insanely fast (and slow), but try it with a bunch of midi tracks and you will almost certainly get hung notes or lockups on external synths. I like that it can do it though :wink:

Monotribe with midi mod can go very fast too.

1 Like

btw, in one of the latest Elektron videos they also talked about how fun it was to run their own sync protocol with Overbridge 1 @ 999bpm and see how stable it was, but they had to limit it later on.

1 Like

Some midi processor like midipal / midibud can change multiply or divide clock.

I think I’m ok with 300 bpm X2. Sometimes I use bpm to tune retrigs / delays and that kind of stuff.
103.125 bpm corresponds to A 440 Hz for instance. 103.1 on OT is actually 103.125 bpm btw…
The Untold Truth About Octatrack Tempo

Also consider that once 16th, 32nd and 64th notes get above about 250bpm the duration of these gets into low audio rates try a rapid sequence of 32nd notes, a 32nd note is 30ms or 33hz at 250bpm.
Midi FM :laughing:

3 Likes

Concerning FM, correct me if I’m wrong, x2 Scale don’t change lfo speed, unfortunately.
You can get 8 times faster triangle lfo with lfo designer though.

Or even faster pulse with LFO designer, alternate min/max :wink:

Sure? Min / max takes 2 steps of the 16 steps. :thinking:

Oh yeah, no wonder I failed at maths in school, haha!

1 Like

10-800bpm on Polyend Tracker.

300 bpm is 5 Hz on the quarter notes. With every 16th note triggered it would be 20 Hz, which is the lowest frequency we perceive as a pitch. So I’m thinking the “technical” reason is that above 300 bpm you have turned your drum machine into a complex oscillator.

I played DN at 300 pm a few hours and happened to freeze up two times which never did before.
Seems processor overload at these speed. Still very nice complex sounds. With 1/96 arpeggiator speed the base frequency is 120 Hz.