3 Years of Brexit… what are your thoughts?

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who actually voted ‘leave’ at the time.

………

My take- it’s an absolute sh*t show, and it’s the biggest, and worst, backwards political/economical step taken by ANY country in modern times.

It’s been a complete manipulation of UK citizens by the UK Government- turn the blame to the EU and let the turkeys vote for Xmas… and 50% of UK people bought the scam.

Personally, I have witnessed ZERO benefits from leaving the EU, but have experienced a significant amount of consequences.
Absolute bullsh*t and it makes me embarrassed to be British.

47 Likes

It’s went pretty much how I thought it would

Wonder if all the gammons are enjoying this control of their country they were supposedly taking back

16 Likes

Nail hit precisely on head.

11 Likes

I concur. Not a day goes by that i don’t feel sick to my stomach with impotent rage at everything that’s been lost, and the ongoing, ever unfolding sh*t-show that the UK is now. Give me half an opportunity and i would be out of here like a shot.

14 Likes

I think the news that our economy is doing worse than anything other major economy INCLUDING RUSSIA!

Says it all.

4 Likes

All of them negative right?

I’m English, left in 2010 and moved to Australia. Was a smart move. So sad what’s happened to UK.

2 Likes

it’s very easy to suggest that those that voted to leave were only small-minded little-Englanders and dupes.

very easy.

6 Likes

It’s a pile of bullshit and one of the greatest swindles ever pulled on the British people. I have nothing else to say about it. Thinking about it is just tiresome and depressing. So that’s that from me. Now to mute this thread before my mood nosedives. Have fun, everyone!

18 Likes

as I waited behind 250 Latin American passengers to get through passport control in Madrid last week, and my two year old daughter got increasingly frustrated all I could think of were the sunlit uplands I was enjoying and how I didn’t want to retire to Spain anyway.

5 Likes

Utter shite.

Beyond all the cost of living stuff and Tories just ripping into any personal rights we have…
My band went on an EU tour in October. We had to spend about £700 on a carnet (list of all equipment you are exporting), plus had to stop and get it stamped in and out of every country with different trade agreements. So:

• out of UK
  • into France
  • out of Sweden, into Norway (one office)
  • out of Norway, into Sweden (one office)
  • out of Germany
  • into Switzerland
  • out of Switzerland
  • into France
  • out of France
  • into UK
  • out of UK, into NI (one office)
  • out of Ireland into UK (one office)

Each of those lines took from half an hour up to three hours. You can probably guess which country was useless and took three hours :unamused:

Rough guess: 15hrs total (at minimum), over a two week tour, so an hour a day. No wonder I was tired at the end!

14 Likes

Before brexit happened, I thought it was a terrible idea.

I was right. It was a fucking terrible idea.

17 Likes

I renewed my british passport recently on the increasingly slim chance I might actually visit my once homeland.

The post brexit passport is a fucking dire thing indeed. They need to remove the word “Great” and just have “Britain”.

5 Likes

I’ve personally contacted the people I know of my generation (in my 30s) that voted for Brexit asking what positives they had seen, and none of them got back to me.

The only benefit I can see is disaster capitalism, the Tory’s can fuck us even harder if we’re all broke

11 Likes

I’ll be honest, no one is ever going to be able to convince me of the merits of Brexit. So much of what I write is charged with huge frustration and more than a sprinkling of anger. I doubt I’ll ever really get over it unless Scotland some day grows a pair.

Most Brexit voting people I know all regret their decision with one exception - my mum! For those in the UK, she is a Daily Mail/Express reading royal family loving nightmare. You will 100% know the sort. She still believes Brexit was right and there is no convincing her otherwise (which, being fair, is how I behave on the other side of the fence).

I can suck it up and deal with Brexit. It is what it is. It’s unlikely to impact me significantly enough in the long run that I will be out of work or broke before I retire but my word does it make my piss boil when I think of the opportunities lost for my two boys. But, I can’t do the classic parent thing of projecting issues onto them to grow up with similar prejudices. I need to teach/coach/help them work within the limits of what Brexit will offer in terms of career and life opportunities.

But in short, Brexit is a pile of fucking shite.

19 Likes

“May contain Scotland - subject to change.”

10 Likes

Was it Switzerland? Would certainly xplain why they need all those watches.

2 Likes

Very easy, and also true?

I am still yet to meet an intelligent person who voted for it, or anyone that can tell me anything good that has come of it.

Anyone’s arguments for the benefits were easily disproven at the time, doubly so now.

The only smart, non little Englanders that wanted it were those who had plans to make an inordinate amount of money from it.

4 Likes

There was a Brexit topic. It was closed through necessity.

We don’t do politics. So I predict this will be short lived.

Ps that old topic was mine

7 Likes

I think the people who I have least sympathy for in terms of right-leaning politics are those with one-foot into retirement who’ve led comfortable lives, benefitting from affordable-housing, generous pension plans, and lifelong employment - sitting there in a detached house, with 2 cars in the drive.

They’re some of the most mean-spirited people you can come by. What is it that they think foreigners, queers, the homeless and every other minority that they hate has deprived them of?

21 Likes

Christ yes.

3 Likes