3 synth techno setups

Is Rytm MK2 sufficient to count as a sampler? :thinking:
And since MK1 canā€™t sample, probably itā€™s notā€¦

rytm and 2 volcas to give away as stocking fillers

2 Likes

OT DT DN
OT master clock/transport goes to MIDI splitter.
MIDI splitter 1 out to DT
MIDI splitter 2 out to DN
Worflow of the 3 units being very similar helps me a lot. My old brain cannot compute anymore :slight_smile:
I sometimes swap DN for Hydrasynth or DB-01.

1 Like

my actual 3-piece techno / EBM / industrial rig:
ā€“ Syntakt
ā€“ Ambika (as 6 mono voices)
ā€“ either MBase 11 or TR-6s

ā€¦some multitimbral racksynth like a virus or nordleadā€¦
an analog heat and the octatrackā€¦

Analog Rytm MK2
Microfreak
TD-3 MO

1 Like

I love this set up, however 2 A4ā€™s would be amazing too

8 Likes

OT-Digitone-Waldorf Iridium

1 Like

This has been my setup for the past few weeks. It is ridiculously powerful. Each of these machines are super versatile and they are even better in combination.

2 Likes
  1. TR-8s
  2. TD-3 + Space
  3. TD-3-MO + MS70CDR
2 Likes

Currently:

1. Loquelic Iteritas Percido as main modular voice
  2. Syntakt for drums and midi tracks
  3. Bitbox Micro, newest addition - it works really good with Syntakt midi

How is the Moog studio compared to the dark trinity? Less fun more fun? I guess the knobs per function on the moogs is more funā€¦

MPC Live 2
Alpha Base
Acidlab Bassline 3

Great reading though all these set upsā€¦.

Iā€™m currently Akai Force, TR8S + gap - which I would fill with a Hydrasynth

1 Like

Correction:

• TD-3 -> RAT -> MS70CDR (Tiled room)
  • TD-3-MO -> Caline Mariana

The Caline Mariana was a bit of a disappointment initially. But it works well enough on acid lines that I can free up the Space for other duties. The RAT sounds great on a 303, I may need to get a second one.

4 Likes

Easy- Rytm, A4 and OT those three Elektron boxes have all of these needs covered and more easily. Plus same workflow and sequencer or close enough to be up and running quickly.

1 Like

The Moog Studio way more fun, due to the lack of menus and interface immediacy. My Moog Studio setup is actually 4 devices with an additional Mother-32. Overall, the Moog Studio is a more limited option compared to the Elektron Trinity. IMO, the Moog Studio is best served combined with other gear.

Two of the Moog Studio devices, DFAM and Subharmonicon, are more experimental and specialized than a traditional instrument (i.e., Mother-32). Both have their own charm, but with a specific use case. While full tracks can be created with the Moog Studio, I generally combine it with groovebox to add a sampler, standard drum machine, effects, and poly synths. Lately, I use a Maschine+ with the Moog Studio. The Moog Studioā€™s outputs are run through an USB audio interface connected to the Maschine+.

The Elektron Trinity is a more complete studio option, but is less intuitive due to the more complex interface and menu diving. Nevertheless, the Elektron Trinity provides a broader range of sounds than the Moog Studio, and better innate sequencers.

In short, I would not trade one for the other. The workflows and pros/cons are very different between the two. However, I do find myself using the Moog Studio more when not working in my main studio space.

3 Likes

My current techno setup
A4 mk1 > manther > lxr02
Can pretty much make hours of fairly dark acidy techno around 130bpm with A4/ lxr02 doing bits of bass/melody/drums and manther doing acid or melody - much fun to be had as they all do probability and sequence length changes :slight_smile: the lxr02 kicks and snares slap massively too

1 Like

Two A4s is probably all one really needs if not using samples

1 Like

Older topic, but itā€™s great to see how people use different setups and approaches to create techno.

My current setup:

MC 707: The brain of my setup. Main mixer and sequencer, effects, sample player (patches and looper tracks from the Quadrantid Swarm and some vocal samples), extra percursion, drumrolls and the wide variety of classic and random sounds that I can mangle. The clip based workflow is very nice as each clip can have itā€™s own sound, so you can add a lot of variation on each track.

Digitakt: Handles the main drum patterns and sometimes longer samples. Soon adding some drones from the Swarm.

Quadrantid Swarm: This synth just screams techno, itā€™s so good. I use it to sample the sounds (drones, stabs, basslines and loops) and to play live with the eight step sequencer while messing with the sound.

4 Likes