3-against-2 random piano?

How would I configure a 3-against-2 random “generative” piano melody in scale on the Digitakt?

1 Like

Hey Lark. Welcome! @mpiecora recently did a video about random generative chords on the DT that I think may apply here.

1 Like

Good morning and thank you! That was actually the video that got me initially interested in the Digitakt :slight_smile: The content makes sense, but I’m not sure how to reconcile the different timings for a 3-against-2 motif, as heard in this modular example.

You meant @mpiecora.

1 Like

What does it mean musically ?

I suppose you need to alternate trigs, a common trick is to use TRig Conditions % and PRE (/PRE)

Exemple of how to alternate 2 settings with 66/33% of chance :
Step 1 : TRC 66%
Step 2 : TRC /PRE, microtiming -23.

Concerning scales : prepare slices with the notes you want.

1 Like

It’s a polyrhythm motif, as heard in this example.. My specific implementation is that I’d like the “2” part to play notes or chords in octaves 1-2, while the “3” part plays in octaves 3-4.

1 Like

Thanks for precision and simple/clear example !
Do you already have the piano sample ? Ideally in a equally slice sample.

You need to use Scale Per Track, set Master Scale accordingly. I’d need to try before writing bullshit but it doesn’t seem too complicated to achieve…

1 Like

For the 3 part I’d set the track length to 12 steps and for the 2 part I’d keep it at 16 steps. Set master length to 48 steps and then after three trips through the 16 step sequence you’re back on the One together. This is off the top of my head, but I think that should work.

Guilty as charged…

3 Likes

This sounds like it would do the trick, I’ll give it a shot :smiley:

2 Likes

You could also set 2 tracks to 6 steps, punch in 1 and 4 on one, 1,3,5 on the other. To randomize pitch, quantized, I’d bake that into the sample: resample 8 or 16 notes in the scale, set up slice mode, and then use an LFO to select the sample slice. Random LFO works, or Hold mode, set with an uneven/higher-speed LFO, is how I’d do, to add repeating-ish patterns. You could have LFO2 periodically nudge LFO1 speed to keep it evolving…

3 Likes

This also sounds like it would work, thank you! I love that there’s many ways to approach this, very exciting.

2 Likes