24 line ins on 1/4 inch. Options?

^I think this is your best option.

But I’d add to first look out for a Traveler MK1, if you can find it for a good price. ($100-$150)
The converters are better than the ADA8200, when receiving external clock. The main issue with the Traveler MK1 was clocking, set it up to receive clock from the 18i20 and you’re golden.
You can clock via word clock or ADAT.

Dynamic range is also improved. 112dBA vs 103dBA on the ADA8200

It makes a great ADAT expander. I use it this way with my MOTU UL MK4.

Unfortunately as I mentioned above the 18i20 only does 8 channels of ADAT maximum. There’s 2 connectors for high res rather than 16 channels.

1 Like

Ah, missed that, my apologies.

antelope audio orion32 series. no expanders needed. they’re on the 3rd generation of them so you can probably find one of the earlier ones used. the previous version will work w/USB2.0 w/full bandwidth all channels. 32 i/o + spdif etc

1 Like

I don’t know where I would plug 24 1/4 inch jacks into that!

I’m looking at the Ferrofish Pulse 16 and RME UFX ii. Only issue is I can’t find a female AES to spdif cable anywhere that’s long enough. Need at least 5m if not 6 or 7.

Then I’d just have to see if it’d work with my equipment and if not return and start again.

EDIT: Actually I can just use AES to spdif into spdif to toslink adapter that I already have. Hopefully that’ll work.

Well now I just need to splurge £3K on it all and test it.

Thanks all. The ferrofish is precisely what I needed for this!

1 Like

it has 32 analog i/o. what’s the mystery?

you just get Dsub snakes. done.

but if you want actual 1/4 inputs on the back your choices are few. many audio interfaces with high i/o counts use DB25 connectors as a way to fit them all on a small 1u rack.

btw if you just go to all the manufacturer’s sites you can find options and configure things that work for you. or just go to sweetwater or whatever retailer and start browsing.

1 Like

the AES to Spdif cable got is really short then i just got a longer digital Spdif cable at the length i needed.

Ah ok now I see how they work. I thought I’d need another unit to plug the stuff into.

Hmm, if I can do it all in 1 unit that’s definitely better…

Ah OK.

Just realised it doesn’t have midi, headphone out or volume knob.

So I guess it’s not a total 1 box solution.

If you have thunderbolt, the Presonus Quantum has 2 separate ADAT inputs at back, along with 6 rear and 2 front inputs. Thats totals 24 inputs.

Or could go Behringer X32+S16 expander… maybe rack version. 16 inputs at rear of X32, 16 inputs at front on S16… total 32 inputs. A few other options you can do with expander cards with X32 also… ie: 16 input ADAT expansion.

What about a MOTU 828es as your main interface? @phaelam has one and loves it

Has dual ADAT i/o, spdif, dual headphone outs with knobs, MIDI, monitor knob.

Sure, would be 3 units to get your input count, but otherwise ticks all the boxes

Front mounted SPDIF practically non existent, but you could make some breakout cables at redco.com

1 Like

Yep…@AdamJay is right. im LOVING the 828es. FAST, reliable, sounds great, lots of I/O.
pair it with a patchy…and you’re rollin.

BEAST

3 Likes

Bought RME UFX II and Ferrofish Pulse 16.

All good.

2 Likes

If I were to get a Ferrofish Pulse 16 today I’d pair it with an RME Digiface USB. :+1::muscle: