24 line ins on 1/4 inch. Options?

Hi all,

I’m so close to completing ‘the mothership’, (my setup) I really need to expand to 24 line ins.

Currently I have a 1st Gen Focusrite 18i20 + Behringer ADA8200. This provides me with 16 line ins using the 1x ADAT available on the Focusrite.

So to add more ins I need a new interface because the 1st gen only has 1 ADAT I/O.

I could get a 3rd Gen 18i20 as it has 2x ADAT I/O, and 1 more ADA8200 to give me 24 line ins. That’ll work but I’m wondering what the options are.

I don’t need mic pres, I’d like 2 units instead of 3, front mounted jacks and SPDIF out are essential so that rules out quite a few interfaces.

Thoughts?

What about a patch bay? I’ve been looking into these myself as I’m also looking for many ins.

Patch bay won’t help - I need 24 ins to my DAW.

what’s your budget?

RME Fireface UFX+ and a RME M-32 Pro will give you 42 ins. expensive but sweet.

there are a lot of options in the RME line up and their drivers are tops. also, you could go Dante or AVB for lot’s of i/o in many configurations. see RME, MOTU etc.

there’s a lot of 8 i/o via analog + 2 x Adat i/o type interfaces out there. so, you can find used solutions for less $$$$ these days to get 24 i/o. just figure out your budget. look at what’s out there and whittle down your choices.

oh, almost forgot the 32 i/o 1u units from antelope audio. the Orion 32+ line of interfaces. all over USB2 or thunderbolt depending on which model. they’ve been a round a while so you could get na earlier version used somewhere.

2 Likes

Presonus Quantum 4848?
Or is that too much?

https://www.presonus.com/products/Quantum-4848

No mic pres just lots of input and output with really really good drivers

1 Like

MOTU 24Ai? 24 analog inputs, plus 24 more ins and outs over optical so you can use your existing adat. Edit: oops I missed the front jacks requirement

Unfortunately the RME interfaces don’t have spdif out so that’s a no go. Motu do but I’m not seeing much if any benefit over the focusrite.

Also, no budget, but I need to see the value in what it is if it’s pricey.

This doesn’t give me any actual physical line ins, which is what I need!

Again no actual jacks on it?

I literally need to plug in 24x 1/4 inch jacks.

Basically the 3rd Gen 18i20 with a 16x 1/4 inch line in box would be perfect.

But does this even exist?

EDIT: Just found out the 18i20 only does 8 ADAT (not 16) even though it has 2x ADAT. So back to square one.

DB25 is a physical jack, but not one you have or need.
So you’re looking for 24 1/4” jack inputs?

I think you’re gonna have a hard time finding that many 1/4” inputs without using DB25 cables unfortunately.

Can you use your focusrite as an ADAT input device like your Behringer? Then all you would need is an interface with 8 1/4” inputs that also has 2 sets of ADAT inputs (like the Presonus Quantum) to get to 24 inputs. I have an 18i20 gen 2 that I use as a slave ADAT device for my Quantum which gives me an addition 8 ins and outs.

The Motu 16A has 16 1/4” ins and outs. You could then ADAT that with your behringer.

3 Likes

I’ve got a Motu 828es which allows multiple adat. I’ve got that paired with an 8pre giving me 8 analog trs on the 828 +2x pres on the front and 8x on the 8pre. You could add on the ADA8200 to give you 26

1 Like

That’s the one I couldn’t remember but knew was out there. That’s a good suggestion with his existing ADAT capacity

2 Likes

Indeed. But no spdif out means no dice.

I’ll have to investigate if that’ll work, but it still means having THREE boxes.

Which I can’t have as I have a switched power distribution board with no more power sockets available.

So no one in the world makes a 16 1/4 inch in with 2 adats.

I thought you only needed 24 inputs. 16 1/4” plus 2 adat pipes would give you 32.
I think all of the options have been added to this thread. You’re pretty much stuck having to switch connector types or use multiple boxes with ADAT unfortunately.

the fire face UFX+ and the other fire face series have aes/spdif and anything with AES can work w/spdif you just get a spdif to AES cable. you can get them in a few places. i use one w/my rme and dangerous Dbox.

Ferrofish make converters with 16 ins and outs to dual ADAT. All in a neat 1U rack.
You will still need to find an audio interface with two lots of ADAT ins and outs.
Are you using Mac or PC?

A Motu 896mk3 with Ferrofish Pulse 16 will give you everything you want I believe.

1 Like

I’m on mac. Thanks I’ll look into that.