2021 Gear Purchase: Hits & Misses

If my own life is any indication, both!

2 Likes

Hits:

Pro 2
After owning the Pro 3 I wondered what it would sound like with four digital oscillators instead of two analog one digital. Guitar Center delivered me a dinged up synth missing a bunch of knobs. Good Guy Sequential mailed me some knobs for free. At first I was torn between the 2 and 3, but after losing myself for hours in feedback, digital FM and parallel filter patches, the Pro 3 moved on to another home.

Nord drum 3
I had a ND2 for a while and fumbled around with both MIDI and the awkwardness of the pad. The ND3 (which I got for about half the price of a ND2) has great built in pads and just as awkward MIDI. :b

Melodica
Sits proudly next to my shaker when I need that human touch. Cheaper than any module, plays chords! Use sparingly, add reverb.

Grandmother
On paper and demoing at the store for hours (sorry Pro Audio staff) the Matriarch seemed like the perfect synth, though both times I owned one I always ended up with basic triangle wave chords through an awkward filter envelope. With the Grandmother, I find myself getting the Moog sounds I want much more quickly. Reverb is a fun quirk.

Misses:

Mpc Live ii
Apparently a creativity wonder-tool for some, but I made the most basic straightforward uninspired stuff with it. Navigating was a headache. Guess the workflow wasn’t for me.

Hydrasynth (both module and keyboard)
I love spending time making patches on this and hate how they sound compared to any other synth I have. Tried hard to sell, it sits in my basement. Something I read said that it would be worth it just as a MIDI controller for that price. Maybe if it was smaller and the ribbon controller worked with other instruments. I don’t think I’ve ever used poly after touch meaningfully.

On the fence:

Perfourmer 2
Waited forever for this one. Loved how it sounded, love how it’s four pretty neat synths in one. In practice it isn’t that inspiring, it’s only made it onto one track. Maybe I should have held out for the CV/Gate version.

Nord lead 2,3,4
Each amazing in their own way. Like Elektron, Nord seem to move backwards and to the side - why not make more synths with the visualization of the NL3? Why not keep the cool filters of the NL2 and drum mode? There’s so much possibility in each of these, but I make cooler synth sounds with other synths and better pad sounds from the sample library in my Nord Electro (with more versatile effects).

Nord Modular
This is my third time owning one of these, this go-round instead of spending a month auditioning patches I’d never actually use I jumped right to what I wanted - vocoders. Yes, the vocoder patches are amazing. Everything else I’m struggling to use meaningfully.

Iridium
Too bulky and expensive for what it is, I think. Give me this engine in the Blofeld form factor, we’ll talk. I really like it, and the particle and kernel engines are just waiting for me to have more patience, but it takes up a little too much space for a digital synth.

Rytm 2
I wish Digitakt just had more outs. Rytm when loading samples is SO sluggish by comparison. Once I make the kits though (tedious!) I find it pretty easy and quick to build expressive and interesting patterns.

Analog four 2
An amazing synth engine. I wish I felt more inspired to play around with this. I got it to replace the Perfourmer, and while its way way way more versatile and has made it onto a lot more tracks, it’s missing some of that magic. I think maybe I just want an Analog Keys. Oh - maybe the key is to use the Hydrasynth to control it?

Strega
I keep thinking that I’ll use this, but there it sits in its beautiful box. It’s a cool instrument, maybe I’ll dig it out again.

Sold but love:

Matriarch
Thought I’d make use of all those patch points. Could never do the oscillators justice. The filter seemed kind of weak (why does my Grandmother always sound good?) and I never appreciated the stereo-ness. I do miss the delay though.

Pro 3
Though the stiffness of the knobs really bugged me, the analog oscillators sounded great and I liked all of the distortion options, but I wanted more of that digital oddness so it was to the Pro 2 I went. A few times I’ve seen great deals on the Special Edition, but I’ve stayed strong.

4 Likes

Hee hee :slight_smile:

exactly.
That’s why I’m also kind of considering selling off octatrack since they’re still fairly easy to get… but idk where to go look for used audio gears in the states. There’s only like 3 big websites in korea that everyone uses since it’s a fairly small country, but since US is so big, idk how easy it is to go about online used market searching so I kinda wanna just take everything with me if it’s not too big

1 Like

yess please never sell your pulsar!
I am a big big fan of all the stuff you did with pulsar and nord drum
I actually have the snippets you’ve uploaded bookmarked (is that creepy)

4 Likes

HITS
Vermona PerFourmer Mk2
Beautiful but simple sounds. I leave each channel of my Keystep Pro paired to a channel on the Perfourmer. I simply turn on my synth desk and can jam on the Perfourmer within seconds. I have the cv/gate version of the Perfourmer. I routed that to a 1/4"->3.5mm junction box. Within a few seconds I can drive the Perfourmer with my modular sequencers. It’s probably the most fun synth I own.

Synthstrom Deluge
I was initially sold on this for the song/arranger modes. Those are great. However, I mainly use it as a portable studio. It spends most of it’s time in my backpack. The sounds are good enough for me to sketch out ideas or jam. When it’s plugged into my desk I mainly use it for midi and cv/gate sequencing.

Soma Labs Lyra-8
It took me a while to figure out what this does. I could never understand why it was at the top of Perfect Circuit’s popularity list. Finally I understood and bought it. Whoa! This beast is driving the car, not me. I just go on crazy journeys with it. I don’t really care if it fits into a song or jam. Loads of fun.

Tip Top Audio Trigger Riot
Simple or complex formula based rhythms. Independent or related rhythms. Crazy clocking for my other sequencers. It took me a while and a TON of forum reading to figure out how to use it with an external clock, but once I got past that it is a winner. I have 4 mults sitting next to it. So each trigger stream can advance a cv sequencer, trigger an envelope, etc. It’s a rather older module so doesn’t get so much attention any more, but it can’t find anything newer that matches what the TR can do.

ON THE FENCE

Tip Top Audio Z-8000
Got it to pair with the Trigger Riot. I can’t understand the usage case for 0-10 volt pots. I have the jumpers removed so the pots send 0-5 volts. That is still too much. Running this through a quantizer still gives my oscillators 5 octaves of jump around. I have to keep all the pots cranked counterclockwise with very little movement.
Once I figure that out I think I love it.

After Later Audio Ornament and Crime
Primarily got use this as a 4 channel quantizer. It’s great for that. The button presses require a bit more study. The Hemispheres firmware make it super tough to see the tiny screen. I may go back to the og firmware and spend a weekend studying it.

MISSES

None :fist_right: :fist_left:

3 Likes

That sounds handy. Where did you get one?

This thread is so good.

It’s amazing and interesting to see things I’ve bought and loved, and not liked, appear on other peoples’ opposite lists.

How anyone can not rate the Analog Four mk2 is hard for me to grasp, but obvs that’s the way it is.

It’s a great reminder on GAS too… don’t get taken in by other peoples viewpoints… for example, I think the whole world needs an MPC and people who don’t like it are just weird. :joy:

I’m currently evaluating my Hits and Misses…

2 Likes

Oh, thanks, glad you like them, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I sold my ND2 because of the Kodamo and yeah, I regret selling it, even though its workflow was not the best.

Like you mentioned, it is really important these days for folks to buy what they want and have their own opinions on what’s good or not for them. Sometimes it is hard not to be persuaded to buy/sell something because other people don’t like it or its not popular or the opposite. As much as the internet helps us with music, such as tutorials everywhere, reviews everywhere, etc. - the internet, especially YouTube, discussion forums like this and Reddit, are full of “influence” and when you fall too deep into that trap, well, that’s when your “misses” category grows and grows and it becomes more about buying, selling, and researching than actually making music. This is me talking from experience, in 2021 I spent more time watching YouTube videos, buying/selling, talking shop in forums, etc, than focusing on my craft. My goal for 22 is to move away from that and just focus on what I have, though I know it’s not easy.

1 Like

Thansk for the info - all sounds really good. The amount of additional features that have been added into the M8 since I got my beta unit has been mental (in the best possible way!).

1 Like

My dream synth!

used stuff in the states… I mainly look on forums like here, lines and ModWiggler. Reverb and eBay are options, though more expensive typically. I’m sure there are FB options, but I steer clear of that.

between those options, you can easily find a used OT for a good price, if you’re pressed for space/shipping funds. MD and MnM, not so much…

1 Like

Hits:

Adam’s A7Xs and the Sub10mk2 - I love these speakers and can’t believe it took me so long to invest into a quality set of monitors.

Taylor GS Mini - This has been a fun lil guitar to play.

OP-1 - My second Op-1. Sold my first a few years ago and just needed to get another.

SP-404a - I got this to pair up with the op-1 and they’re a pretty powerful duo. I’ll get the new one at some point, but I’m in no rush.

Software - I feel like this year I’ve fallen in love with working in the box.

Ableton 11 - added comping and track linking, things I’ve wanted for years.

I went a bit crazy this year gassing out on plugins and don’t regret a thing. Some of my favorites: Neold Warble, Amek EQ200, Bettermaker EQ232D, Sketch Cassette II, XO, Soothe2, Gullfoss, Mishby, Fabfilter FX bundle, Big Al, Blackbox HG-2ms, Shadow Hills Comp and so many more.

Misses:

None these were really bad products. Just didn’t fit my work flow.

Mc101 - sounded great but I got bored of the lack on control pretty quick.

TR-8s - I’m finally coming to grips with the fact that I prefer to take care of drums ITB.

TT-303 - part of me feels like it’s necessary to have a 303 clone, but I never use it. I’ve been too distracted to even learn the thing.

Future hit:

I ordered a maxed out MBP M1max. Estimated to be shipped by the end of this month.

1 Like

Best band name so far in this thread

11 Likes

My sense is that people really love what the MPC can do, but do not like how you do it. At lease, well, that is my opinion. So much value in one piece, but such a cluttered workflow.

1 Like

Not at all surprised. They are such different synths, yet similar in enough ways that owning both is rarely merited.
I wish Sequential kept the character section when they made the Pro 3. It’s the heart of the tonal capabilities.

4 Likes

HITS
SM7b
Im more of a singer/songwriter than an elektronikanautier. This thing is great for vocals thru ssl six, takes the compressor nicely.

Jomox T-resonator
I think this is highly underrated! Stereo filter with decent enough delay and reverb and chorus. And an LFO. Stereo knobs for everything to get really weird running it two-handed. $290 3-day shipped from thomann germany to US. Whoa world!

1010music Blackbox
So sweet just for making and playing multi-sampled instruments. Easy to sample. Thought it might replace OT and that is a JOKE! Around when i listed it for sale, i heard several songs i just “released” (uploaded!) that used it. No replacing the OT for synthy songwriting ideas…. Its different!

Manlius pickups for a tele partscaster i built. Honestly incredible tone and dynamics.

Sanford magnetics P90. More articulate than other higher end P90s ive played.

Wampler Tumnus. Actually transparent overdrive that does not squash any pickup or tube dynamics. Sort of like an analog heat to further warm up even a warm and great tube amp sound.

Ozone advanced 9. Huge improvement from elements. Helped me have better tonal continuity song to song than any other album ive done. Upgrade for $79 from a free elements i’d gotten! Wow.

MISSES
Subharmonicon
Nice filters and sounds. I totally get why its a hit for many. But not for me. Returned to box faster than maybe any piece of equipment.

Poly beebo
Was initially very excited. So many things to like but its ittb (in the tiny box)….staring into screens with endless options bogs me down.

4 Likes

I’ve been eyeing the T-resonator for a while, did it come with swappable plugs for US power or did you just grab a universal?

1 Like

I had a universal adaptor around. Phew!

1 Like