2021 Gear Purchase: Hits & Misses

Yes, I would agree.

I haven’t tried the Tegeler but I’ve watched some demo vids and really like what I’ve heard.

I forgot to mention that when I added a Verde Audio Vari-Mu compressor to the Fusion’s insert it really changed everything. All the textural sweetness intensified so much that it would be underwhelming to use it without it now that i’ve accustomed to having it. Did you use an analog compressor in the insert?

Experimenting with the input gain levels has been v eyeopening to me and really showcased the wide palette of this device.

2 Likes

I’ve bought quite a few things this year. I don’t think there are any misses, but a lack of time to explore all the gear as it deserves.

• Native Instruments Maschine MK3: my first pad-type controller. Hit. I love the feel and the size of the pads, and the responsiveness of the knobs. I use it every day to practice rhythm. But I don’t like the software so much, I prefer my usual DAW better.

• Native Instruments Traktor S3: this was a gift for my wife and I haven’t used it, but it’s a big hit: now we jam together, and we even had a live performance together for the first time. She loves it.

• Zoom H4n pro: well, how could I live before without a hand recorder? I use it for many things, it’s super convenient, and records in a very high quality. Super-hit.

• Arturia Microfreak: this is a semi-hit for me. I like it for jamming, because it’s fast to use, has a great sound palette, and the randomization option makes it very fun. The keyboard doesn’t work 100% well for me, specially in hot weather, and I don’t know if I will use it to record “serious” tracks. But for the price, it’s a very fun device and I don’t regret buying it.

• Arturia KeyStep37: super-hit. Small, portable, functional, surprisingly good keybed for the size and price, works well with either hardware and software. I returned the bigger MIDI keyboard my brother lent me, because I’m much happier with this.

• Dreadbox Typhon: another semi-hit, I need to explore it more. I like the sound, the effects, and the big knobs, but I don’t know if it adds something to my A4, sonically. But it is much easier to use than the A4, and very portable. Good partner with the Keystep.

• Yamaha MODX7: mega-hit. I needed a versatile keyboard/piano/synth I could bring to rehearsals and performances, and the MODX is perfect for that. I use it for jamming with my wife, and for the pop-rock group I play with.

• Beyerdynamic DT880 Special Edition: my first decent headphones (before, I used a 20€ sony). I’ve had them for less than a week, but I think they will be a hit too: they give so much clarity to anything I listen to, compared to any of my former headphones.

5 Likes

I’m not aware of the compressor you have, but I will kook into it. I’m thinking about getting a nice compressor / saturator, so will be interesting to hear what the Verde is like.

I used to run an SSL Six into the Fusion. Then I started running the Analog Heat into it. I quite liked the Heat, but 90% of what the Heat offered was too aggressive for me.

On the hunt for that perfect sweet spot.

1 Like

Verde Audio is a Finnish custom manufacturer that relies heavily on tubes. My unit is also modded to have two different tubes that the signal can be routed through and an attack dial that is not present in the original design so I don’t think there are any demo vids anywhere, I tried many compressors until I made the decision to go with the Verde Vari-mu.

1 Like

Sounds expensive :rofl:

It was around 1000€ so not insanely expensive IMO. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As an absolute beginner I’m baffled by the amount of gear some people are buying.

19 Likes

After making electronic Music for 15 years, i have the same . My matriarch i bought december 2020 feels so New, its hard to work with many tools anyway, and where does the money come from to spend 1 k/month? And if the money is there, where is the time to master the equipment?

7 Likes

I think some of this involves a bit of gear collecting or simply the pleasure of owning a new device.

1 Like

Plus a lot of selling and trading away things that have slowly accumulated over years.

4 Likes

eventually the HX stomp is a fine device with nice fx and plenty of amp simulations… however I am so used and convinced of my Kemper that this device can’t really compete with it…
I bought it for its FX and as a replacement in case my Kemper breaks down

hope this makes kind of sense to you

That’s not too bad. It’s cheaper than the Fusion at least.

1 Like

You’ve got to remember there are a lot of sad middle aged people with no kids (or grown up kids), few vices (any more) and decent jobs on here. Buying gear is one of the ways to eke out a small amount of happiness, pretend to have some musical talent whilst listening to a generative sequencer and relive your youthful dreams ! (Speaking purely personally !)

It’s very similar to guitars - when you were gigging and had the time to practice and play loads you could never afford to buy the guitars and amps you desired. Once you can afford it, you dont have the time to play!

Ps I’m going abstinent for 2022 !

25 Likes

This x10000

4 Likes

If you plan carefully, you will wind up retired with a room full of cool stuff to play with. Mind, you a lot of it will be showing its age and not working properly… :grimacing:

10 Likes

Talking about me or the gear?

5 Likes

Got ya. From what I’ve read and listened to, seems like Kemper, Fractal, and the Helix line all have equal footing in the amp modeling game and from there it just comes down to preference. Think the stomp is the right one for me. Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

Love this thread!

Hit: Vermona ‘14: it really is sooo good! Its all i need and it always fits and always sounds right. Easily the best machine i ever had.
Miss: None
Undecided: Maschine+: i hope they fix loading projects soon. It all glitches out when loading a project.

1 Like

This.

1 Like

These loading crackles have been the case with maschine since v1 is my experience