2020 gear purchase: Hits & Misses

Though I haven’t had much time for music, two things jump out.

Hit
Nord Drum 3. Sounds absolutely fantastic! Easy to get eighties sounds but also more. Everything has a naturalistic feeling even when totally synthetic. Hard to explain! Has to be a hit because you hit it, right?

Miss
Octatrack. Sounds grungy even when you don’t want it to. Really bad effects. Mixer mode that doesn’t let you mix. Bizarre choices everywhere. Learning the interface feels like debugging software. Though I’m good at that particular activity, it’s not how I want to feel when music-making.

Reminds me: I will need to get a proper sequencer soon.

Also, thanks to some posts in this thread, I now realise I need a labeling machine.

Thanks to all for sharing.

4 Likes

Hits
Argon 8. I could go on for days about this thing, but I will limit it to one comment. Calling something a wavetable synth is a terrible marketing idea, IMHO. I think of modulated ambient evolving soundscapes and menu diving. Not my thing.

What is my thing? A synth that allows me to make the sound in my head with a minimum of fuss and sounds great at the same time.

Strymon Iridium: I just needed an great sounding box with a few amps and cabs, simple controls and a good, simple reverb, and this is it.

Misses: The DAWless workflow. In which I convinced myself that writing songs out of the box was a good idea. DAWs changed my life. They allowed my to write, record, arrange and mix a shitload of songs that I will always be proud of … in my living room.

With the DAWless workflow I created some loops that are OK.

Biggest DAWless workflow miss. The MPC One … made crawl on my hands and knees back to DAWland begging for forgiveness.

9 Likes

This is the problem. The phrase- Dawless is a rather recent term. I find it a bit foolish to be honest. An artist should use everything at their disposal to make the sound they have in their head. If a computer works better for what you need to express, use it. If I were going to make music only on my computer, I would prolly just use my AH as a soundcard or buy a rme. In the end (literally) it’s about the converters. Good luck and- don’t believe the hype.

1 Like

To be clear, I mean using the DAW to record mostly external gear - vocals, synths, guitars, bass and the occasional shaker and tambourine. Partly this was driven by working from home, but over the summer I brought my work computer home and set up a separate music space about 20 feet away. Before that I experimented with various hardware options. I learned a lot about groove boxes, but I make indie pop with somewhat unusual song structures and I felt like I was flying blind.

turned to be super hits IRL.

MB-33 is absolutely fool proof. it’s totally impossible to get it sounding wrong when noodling with it live.

rocket isn’t too far from MB-33. once you’re familiar with it — it’s not easy to make it sound horribly wrong.

this makes them a joy to pair with a groovebox for live use.

1 Like

I did not have any solid misses in 2020. However, below is a summary of a few hit and unsure purchases:

Hit:
Dreadbox Typhon
Korg Minilogue XD
Modal Argon8M
Native Instruments Maschine+
Roland JU-06A

Unsure:
Arturia MicroFreak
Elektron Model:Cycles
Elektron Model:Samples
MAM MB33 Analog Retro
Roland MC-707

The Maschine+ has the most potential in regards to altering my present workflow, as it will eventually serve as my primary sequencer in the studio. By far, the best purchase I made in 2020.

I also have a Modal Cobalt8M on order, and I am sure it will be a hit along with the Argon8M.

1 Like

I would like to add two hits to my 2020 list.

Plugin alliance shadow hills. Bam!!! That’s what I have to say about this compressor (it’s actually two in parallel). This is by far my best compressor to date.

Xln audio xo. If you’ve never seen it in action go check a video on this thing. There is nothing like this I know of. Its brilliant.

2 Likes

Hits:
Dreadbox Typhon (pure joy)
Digitone (sold it 2019 but missed it so much and I’m in love again)
Digitakt (My heart said OT, but my head said DT. It’s fun and fast)
Micromonsta 2 (sounds really really good, and it’s tiny)

Miss:
Arturia MicroFreak (I don’t like the Sound. I bought it cause „Internet“ said it’s great, but in the end, my ears said „no“)
Roland MC-707
Roland MC-101 (Sounds Great, but the Interface is just sooo clunky!)

2 Likes

One more Hit to add:

Montreal Assembly Count To 5. I’ve been having a lot of fun with this one… definitely have to let it take the lead, but getting a randomly chopped up loop going, recording that into Mood’s envelope looper, which is then triggered by the CT5 loop, has been a blast and I’ve found myself doing hour-long ambient guitar sessions as a result (works well with synths too).

3 Likes

Interesting feedback on the Octatrack

It is one of the first I hear which gives a more open and honest view

1 Like

so when people say they like it it‘s fanboyism, which is immediately destroyed by one comment about disliking it :thinking:

5 Likes

Like all of it? Really? :wink:

@Unifono beat me to it.

2 Likes

Hits:

Analog Four
Analog Heat
DOD Metal X
DOD Octoplus
DOD Vibrothang
Three Nine Of Swords fuzz pedals

Misses:
EHX Oceans 11 (sold)
Korg MS2000R (sold)
DOD Ice Box (for sale)
A bunch of different cheap guitar pedals that are waiting to get listed for sale

All in all a pretty good year, I lost a bit of money on the MS2000R but sold the Oceans 11 for a profit.

Hits:
Model 1 mixer (bought used for an excellent price)
MicroMonsta 2
Doctor A

Misses:
Faderfox EC4 (for me - could not really use it in my music making)
Audio Source Collider (excellent algorithms and versatility, but I found it too fiddly for live use)

To be clear, I didn’t mean to “destroy” anything. Instead, let’s all create, using the tools we like.

P.S. I now have a Squarp Pyramid and a labeling gun, so there’s no stopping me! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh absolutely, no point in keeping gear around that gets in the way of making music. I’m sure most people here could name at least one ”popular device” that just hasn’t worked for them. I’ve had several this year alone: AS-1, Mood, Polymoon, the whole modular experience. Just weren’t working for me, so sold them and moved on.

You misunderstood
I was surprised to hear an honest feedback on the OT

I have amended my comment

1 Like

Update to my earlier post. Wavestate ended up a miss. Took too long to build patches and after being spoiled by Elektron workflow I cannot forgive UX catastrophies like copy/paste and inserting sequence steps being a submenu on The third sub page of a screen. Just too slow! Also, it’s got loads of great samples, but having to scroll through a flat list of thousands of them on every wave sequence step is… not fun.

I traded the Wavestate for a Sherman filterbank. Which is totally rad. Really enjoying running it in parallel to my drums and making an alternate, distorted/filtered copy that is AM’d against a monosynth. Sounds like Chemical Brothers.

2 Likes

Hits:

Digitakt – sold the OP1 to get the digitakt. After 2 days, I made more useable music on the digitakt than I ever did on the OP1. The only real upside that the OP has over the digi, imo, is polyphonic samples (yea yea, I know about the retrokits cable, got one on the way, but until then…).

Octatrack MKII – the digi was so great, I spent weeks watching Youtube on the OT MKII and decided to make the plunge. Perhaps the best and worst way of coping with a covid winter. I’ve yet to completely finish a track on it (as I am still grappling with all its uses), but the results are promising, and it’s a prime distraction to get my head out of ordinary music making, and take it to some where else. Honestly, I am really not a fan of using the OT for drum sequencing… with pickup machines, and a master on track 8, it’s hard to create drum patterns the digitakt way with a sample-per-track approach, as you run out of room. I know people love chopping up drum loops, but to me the results are divisive, and I generally don’t cutting up a ready made beat, but rather building one from the ground up. Even cutting up my own digitakt drum loops on it so far hasn’t been really all that great, as I want more of a subtle sampler sound, not like a “hey listener, this is a sampler so let me demonstrate every glitch it can do as a rhythmic part.” So I really only use it for live recording, melodic samples, mixer, and I guess a brain for the whole set up? MIDI arp is definitely next on the list of things to explore with it.

Tascam 424 MkI Tape machines and loops were my stress outlet from March through August, and now have just become an integral part of my workflow. It’s given me a whole new appreciation of hi and low fidelities as textures, not as some hierarchy of sound quality. Get the MKI while you can – if you’re a producer, one of the most satisfying things is to take a sequence you want to ‘lofi,’ speed it up twice as fast, bring it up an octave, record to the 424 on highspeed, and then drop the speed back down, thus giving you a saturated, wobbly, and legitimately analog lofi sound. It’s easy to do this with things like a drum sub mix, synth arp, or something like a piano or guitar part. You will definitely have to tweak it a bit in post to make sure the timing lines up (it’s usually a hair off from perfectly in sync from the original)… To make it even better, but with more time and experimenting, use a loop so you get the beautiful tape gaps…

Revox B77 Reel to reel was the next endeavor, and I drove five hours one day to pick this up. Analog recording should be a right of passage for any music maker who wasn’t alive when it was used as a primary method (like me). It’s really worth the extra time to use it in tandem with a digital approach. For example, if you’re tracking a polysynth pad part, it’s pretty easy to just let the tape roll, nail your part over a couple of takes with a click coming from somewhere, rewind, and record all of that back into the daw. If you’re quick with audio editing, playlisting them and grid nudging will take you max 10 minutes.

Casio CZ101 - I’ve yet to give this synth it’s due time of learning, but I really like (surprisingly) Casio’s alternative form of FM Synthesis. It’s kind of a bitch to learn, but if you take a DX7 approach of preset switching, minor edits, and saving, it’s pretty damn cool. It has made it’s way on 3 tracks I’ve produced for other people.

Yamaha Reface YC Honestly needed a good hammond b3 sound and this just does the trick. It’s really easy to send sequences too, so you can focus on the leslie switch, volume swells, and tone bar adjustments.

MISSES

OP1 Thank god I’m not posting this on the OP forums, but I bought one in march, had a blast, but really only used it for my own samples to be played polyphonically. The sequencers are just not good on this device – creative and clever, sure but lacking the ability to make anything really specific or complex. The synths on this are so bad, with zero context of what any of the parameters really do to the sound. And the samples just sounded like a souped Casio 8 bit sampler. The digitakt kicks this thing’s ass in everyway. If it cost 400, I def would’ve kept it, because it is totally it’s own thing, and I do miss certain things about it, but I am much more at home with Elektron.

Ju-06a actually got this last december, and used it for a long time, but it really just doesn’t sound that great. Took far too many pedals or post processing. I think also four voices for what might be the one of the most popular poly synths of all time way a big let down too. It didn’t bother me at first, but it eventually just gathered dust… I am curious about the Jupiter Xm as a much more expensive alternative, but we shall see if another stimulus check arrives haha.

Thank you all for indulging me… I didn’t think I would like this thread, but it actually was really great reading user experiences from people other than Youtube gear guys. Wishing you all health and safety during this time!

9 Likes

Employment and financial uncertainty kept my wallet close to my person in 2020 so I mostly took the year to dive into my 2019 purchases and learn them. That being said… at least what I did pick up all fell into the “hits” category:

HITS

Tascam Model 16: Not perfect (what mixer is?) but absolutely the best solution for my DAWless recording needs. I’ve gushed about this mixer in its own dedicated thread here but the Model 16 has been one of the most revelatory gear purchases ever, and has really helped emphasized the “listen with your ears, not your eyes” way of mixing that I’ve been slow to adopt in recent years since ditching my laptop for music-making.

Digitech Polara Reverb: Randomly saw this for $80 USD on Amazon and reflexively pulled the trigger on it. Ugly as hell but for a solid, meat-and-potatoes stereo reverb it can’t be beat for the price.

Korg Volca Drum: I just received this last week so I’m still in the honeymoon phase with it, but it’s still mind-boggling to me that this much functionality and just overall… weirdness was fit into the Volca form factor. Korg could have easily scaled this up to a future classic with pads, encoders, individual outs, et al. I’ve only scratched the surface with the VD but my 20-year-old ER-1 may finally get a well-deserved break.

Wishing everyone here best wishes and happy musicking for 2021!

6 Likes