2019: Affordable (<$200) and compact standalone midi foot controller for pickup machines

Hi all! I am starting a new thread on this (hope that’s OK) because (1) many threads on this point are some years old; (2) many threads address foot pedals that are not standalone, i.e. need a midi hub of some kind; (3) some manufacturers (e.g. Disaster Area) have stopped supporting the OT for some pedals when they previously did).

What I am looping for is very specific:

1. Affordable (<$200);
  2. Works very well for triggering pickup machines;
  3. Compact;
  4. Is proven to work flawlessly with OT Mk2 pickup machines without the need for programming custom firmware etc;
  5. Is standalone - i.e. does not also need a midi hub to work.

I want to record guitar into the OTmk2 and set up asynchronous loops in the ballpark of Marcus Fischer.

Can anyone recommend a device for this? Thanks!

food controller

:thinking: the only one I know is this one :

:wink:
I’d search more in the forum, several products!
For Pickups control you just need to be able to send midi notes, or Control Changes (with the ability to set their values).
Below 200, it doesn’t seem easy. Old products? They are usually not compact…
Morningstar MC6 is compact.
Nektar Pacer has an Octatrack Preset

4 Likes

Food controller? Maybe a gastric band?

2 Likes

Ok, ok - corrected! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - good stuff - not cheap though, paid EUR250 for it. Should use it more often :roll_eyes:

Maybe it needs a little dedicated pedal board. :thinking: :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

It pains me to say it, but I went with the Behringer FCB 1010 and the iFCB app for all my midi foot work. By far the most affordable option, but certainly not compact. It does seem very versatile though. And usually the buttons work!

If you’re a tinkering type you might be interested in an Axoloti board. You can design your own enclosure and software for it, but that’s a lot of work! It will (probably) save you some money, but cost you a lot of time.

http://www.axoloti.com/

I haven’t done MIDI controllers with it, but I have used external physical potentionmeters to send midi into the Axoloti programs, with good results. There is also really effective “debounce” modules in the software enviornment that make mechanical switches a lot more reliable when communicating digitally.

2 Likes

Indeed DIY is cheap, plus you develop interesting skills :slight_smile:

There are a lot of projects out there, so with some basic knowledge you should be able to get some prototype relatively fast.

Have you search this forum already?

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=Midi%20foot

2 Likes

Mac app? You need a Mac connected?
Doesn’t seem really standone!
Edit : It’s the Behringer App?
I really didn’t like the FCB1010, but it was with a RC505, needing more than 2 control changes!

I’m more interested in the Axoloti!

And it can be compact.

2 Likes

Found it!

2 Likes

Very nice

5 Likes

iFCB is just to make programming the FCB easier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This thing is bigger than my entire house and my neighbour’s house combined. Would probably need a helicopter to deliver it.

The MC8 looks excellent - it is expensive though.

1 Like

Smaller than the ancient ART X-15 Ultrafoot I got free from somebody around 2011 and have given away a few times but it keeps getting given back. That thing is the size of a train.

I’m also interested - don’t know how much but the source audio soleman?

Depends what it sends. Btw with OT it’s possible to loop with Prog Changes only, with well prepared patterns.
Ex :
Pattern1 : constant rec
Pattern2 : play
Undo possible. I can detail later if interested.

I post this one as a reminder for control changes, but there are pretty cheap controllers with Prog Change Only.
One Control Basilisk Programmable MIDI Controller
Sansamp Midi Moose / Mouse or something.