2 stereo effects with a small live mixer / 2 stereo aux outs?

Sure, if you don t need the extra features then the 92 would do.

1 Like

I was just about to suggest this! If the SiX isn’t big enough, a Zed is probably your next best option.

They’re great analog desks at a good price. Often you can find well priced second hand ones on eBay etc. too.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m also really happy with my Zed14. Feels really nice, nice long faders, eqs are usable (I like them). It actually has everything I’d want from a small mixer.
You get 2x mono sends post fader and switchable 2x mono sends/stereo send pre fader. The pre fader sends can function as a stereo send, but since they’re pre fader, I wouldn’t want to use them for effects, they are great for sending stuff to OT for sampling or for recording a stereo mix.

The 2x dual stereo inputs are nice, you can send both stereo ins to the channel (maybe you have two stereo sources, that don’t need eq treatment) or one stereo in to the channel and one to the main mix (like a normal return works).

1 Like

Yes you can use it like that. That is essentially how I use it and I am very happy with it. Yea the foldback cue outs are used as the sends. The ext inputs 1 and 2 can be used as stereo returns or as 2 additional stereo channels that get mixed and summed before the compressor.

2 Likes

Great to hear that. Thinking now that I should just sample the Minitaur bass into Digitakt/Rytm/SP-404 so that 6 channels would be enough. So I’m thinking now it’s between the SSL Six and Xone: 96. Do you think the SSL Six has much analog warmth/mojo? For example, if you played a drum machine straight through the speakers vs through the SSL, would you hear much difference? I think that would be the factor that would make me decide between the 2. SSL Six looks better in terms of portability and I imagine the sound is great, so I’m leaning toward this at the moment.

There’s a big thread on the six with lots of people singing its praises if you haven’t seen it yet:

Yes and no… Id say that cannels 1 and 2 can add a lot of color and oomph if needed and the Gbus compressor is definitely gonna add mojo with tons of gain on tap. Channels 3 and 4 are pretty transparent id say. But the way the compressor glues the mix together is where I hear the SSL really shines. That and the flexible routing. Check out this processing of a loop this guy does…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_edSSsixI

1 Like

Sounds great, love the compressor

I’ve gone back and listened to my current mixer, an old Peavey Unity Series 500, and while this is not a highly rated desk, there’s just something in the sound that I can’t hear in any modern analog mixer…more bass, almost distorted and slightly lofi, a tinge of fuzziness, and it all just glues everything together. I’m thinking I might stay with this for now and accept the mono aux outs into stereo effects. Listening again it doesn’t affect the stereo image as much as I originally thought, although sometimes I feel like there’s slight phasing when I turn it the return levels (wonder if anyone else using mono aux out into stereo effects in a stereo panned mix notices this). Think I’d have to live with another mixer before I could decide. Might have to take a risk in that respect at some point. Thanks everyone for all of the great feedback! :sun_with_face:

What about a class compliant soundcard with multiIO and an iPad running AUM? Then you can do tons of routing and FX. This is my plan once I can afford another interface.

3 Likes

@Ahaas1138 @mbillz Ok, I’ve just ordered the SSL Six. As much as I like the warmth of my old mixer I can hear that I’m losing detail on certain sounds with that. I was sold by the combination of the form factor, 2 stereo sends in addition to 6 channels, and the Gbus compressor. I won’t have room for my Minitaur with 6 channels, but at least that will be one less thing to carry/set up when playing live.

2 Likes

The 96 is technically 8 channels. There’s stereo inputs C and D, but are a volume knob only and unable to be assigned to the filters or crossfader. Im tempted to buy one now that I was actually able to try one out (no one has them where I live).

I actually preferred to run the returns into channels C and D and there’s only a single knob and I don’t really need to eq the returns. Was easier for me to ride 1 knob for send and 1 for the return than a knob, fader, and EQ. USB can be used as a send/return as well. Worked great with an iPad and something like Turnado and a bunch of other effects in AUM.

So thats 6 stereo channels assignable inputs and 2 stereo returns (+USB inputs).

They are pricey which it what makes me hesitant to pull the trigger permanently. Its quite ridiculous the price gouging they get away with for DJ mixers.

1 Like

I’m thinking xone is near perfect for these use cases. To save money I might roll with xr18 and hook up a controller. I think you can sidechain in the xr18 which excites me.

2 Likes

Yeah sure is.

Though some price difference can likely be ascribed to greater durability than the low end mackie/soundcraft/etc range. These dj mixers are workhorses at rentals, in clubs etc.

1 Like

Yeah…i can’t say pioneers hold up well enough to justify 3200$ for a 6channel mixer…

2 Likes

I just got a Xone:96 to replace my Mackie mixer, found it for a very good price and couldn’t let it pass (thank you Swedish tax returns!). It’s definitely the mixer I was looking for to pair up with 2 H9 pedals.

I’ve experimented with using both returns A/B as C/D for the pedals, A/B is fun if you are playing around with feedbacks and want to EQ the low end from reverbs, really damn helpful to have a knob that can remove the mud easily.

1 Like

I have my Space and H9 on A and B exactly for those reasons: send to each other and cut the low. Plus I have them routed to the left filter and distortion which adds another layer of sound shaping tools.

1 Like

Have to say it was very hard to choose between the Xone 96 and SSL Six. Just think the sound of the SSL six will suit me more, heard some very nice demos on another thread. The form factor was another decider. Not having eq on all channels was almost a dealbreaker, but then I realized that I’d relish the challenge of working on the spectrum by using filters on individual samples. I’ve also ordered an Analog Heat Mk2, so I’m going to try that on the master for a little warmth, eq and filters and if I’m not happy with that I’ll use it on just the Rytm, Digitakt or SP-404.

1 Like

Awesome! I think you are gonna be pleased!

2 Likes

Awesome choice - the SiX is one of my favorite pieces of gear and everything I’ve ever wanted in a mixer. I’d love for them to make a twelve channel version at some point, but I’m also into the idea of having two SiX’s for flexible routing. Or as you said, maybe I should just embrace limitations :angel:

2 Likes