2 stereo effects with a small live mixer / 2 stereo aux outs?

Btw, SSL just introduced the SSL Six CH, might be a good way to expand the SSL Six in 500 series format.

2 Likes

@Ahaas1138 @mbillz Do you use the alt inputs through the Dsub on the SSL Six? While using all 6 normal inputs for instruments and ext 1 and 2 for stereo effects returns, I’d like to also use Alt1 input for my Moog Minitaur (summing 11 inputs in total). Is this possible? I’m a bit confused because there is a video showing that 12 inputs can be summed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC1CORyQhMI), but 1 review states: “plugging a cable into the top-panel line input sockets overrides these alternate line inputs”. Also, do you know if this would be the right cable for what I want to do? 8Ch 25Pin Dsub to Mono Jack

I love my SiX but I really wish it had more channels for things like aux/sends and EQ on the stereo channels would have been nice.

I have not used the Db25 inputs yet so I had to check the manual. But it sounds like activating the insert switch on the channel overrides the main input, letting you use the fader for the insert… but not activating it will send the insert straight to the mixbus for summing. It (sort of) explains it in page 20 of the manual. Also, I was checking out this dB connector. It’s balanced and a little cheaper.

1 Like

Great, seems like it will work. Thanks a lot for checking it and for the balanced cable link. I hadn’t thought about that because I think the output of the Minitaur is unbalanced and I normally use a TS cable. Why is a balanced cable better for this situation?

It looks like that db25 connector has female threads for the fasteners on the sides. And this might be a problem if you plan to connect dem to a mixer.

Good call, I didnt notice that!

You can also route your Minitaur through your Rytm’s Ext In.

It would mean it is going through the same compressor (Rytm) as your drums so maybe not what you are looking for, but thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

@sound_am just chiming in to say I haven’t used the Dsub either, but @Ahaas1138’s recommendations look sound to me.

I will say that I have the Moog Matriarch which is extremely fussy / noisy if using unbalanced cables. I have it directly connected to one of the SiX stereo ins with balanced cables (noise is a serious problem when connected to my BlueBox). I have a Mother 32 and DFAM as well which I know prefer unbalanced cables, but I haven’t tried connecting them directly to the SiX via DSub. I think balanced DSub cables would be a safer purchase overall, but I am not the cable expert I wish to be so hopefully someone else has some expertise.

1 Like

@aloud Good suggestion thanks. I use quite heavy compression on the Rytm, but I will try this for sure. I’ll also check to see if the ext in on the SP-404A will work at the same time as playing back samples. @mbillz Yes, I also feel that balanced DSub cables would be a safer purchase, I’ll just do a little more research on this first.

Quick question for anyone on this ye olde thread.

If you use a Zed mixer (or not…): I notice there are an abundance of sends, but I only see one stereo return on the Zed 14 for example. Excuse me if I’m being thick, but if I had a couple of effects I wanted to return (independently - if I’m effecting different tracks with different effects), I can only see one return point.

Where would the other one return?

Edit: Google threw up an answer from Gearspace:

You can use the stereo channels to return , infact you will have to as there are no dedicated aux returns on the zeds. The advatage of this is you have EQ on each effect return which is very handy .

The stereo channels also feature RCA jacks on each channel and both those and the 1/4 can be used at the same time to double the inputs on each stereo channel . But you only have level control over both at the same time so it can be tricky.

Presumably, if I had a couple of stereo machines hooked up to the stereo channels, I would need to use the dedicated stereo return in this case, or plug them in across the mono channels.

Zed 14 has two stereo returns on rca on the dual stereo channels (set switch to mix and your connected source will go straight to main mix, like a return track behaves, but you can also send the signal to the channel if you wanted to use eq or use the rca input for something else than effects return. Ofc the two stereo signals will share the channels eq etc, but you have individual gain control), but you can also use normal channels for your effects with the added benefit of eq.

The two dual stereo tracks on the Zed14 can take four stereo signals, so you could easily return four stereo effects there.

Not all mixers even have dedicated returns.

1 Like

Very helpful response, thank you!

1 Like

I’ve been eyeballing these two actually, for live performing and using the mixer as an expressive tool.

What would you say was the biggest difference between these two? And for what purposes do you use each?

I have both the BB and the SiX.

They’re quite different beasts, not sure what the biggest difference is. For my use case, the BB is worth it because of the number of inputs, precise channel EQs, and FX. The SiX is worth is for the long-range faders, multiple outputs, and compressor.

I run all my signals into the BB and then use the 3 stereo outs to go into the SiX. I use the BB to process or stage sounds (the BB can record/load stereo files as well!) and then use the SiX to put to finalize the mix and adjust levels during playback.

For live performing, I’d recommend the BB+Midi controller over the SiX as an expressive tool. You could then have it setup to do HPF/LPF sweeps on every channel, control volume, delay & reverb. Also, you can record you mix on the BB. The SiX shines best in a studio environment in my opinion. A more conventional mixer would probably also serve you well :slight_smile: and ofc, if you want the most expressive mixer, then that’s the OT :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yo! So my basic setup is:
SSL Six has inputs for the BlueBox, Apollo interface, vocal mic, guitar, and Moog Matriarch (because I was getting nasty ground hum if i plugged it into the BlueBox). Ive got the alt out connect to my Apollo so I can quickly send anything to my DAW for tracking.

All of my other synths run into the BlueBox and I have it’s outputs going into a Blackbox / Norns for sampling and effect processing.

Tbh, if SSL made a 12 channel version of the Six I’d use that for studio purposes but I think the compact form of the BlueBox is still awesome for live purposes (ignoring the fact that I haven’t played live with it yet). It’s mostly great for the flexible input / output routing and its compact form.

I don’t think the BlueBox would be super good for performing without a midi controller but I haven’t tried it. It’s most a set and forgot piece of great for me now that ive got everything configured. The SSL would be better bc it’s nice faders and I’ll often loop something on my guitar and bring it in and out, but my primary reason for having it is that it’s just a really well built, great sounding centerpiece for my studio connected directly to my monitors.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

2 Likes

Which other synths are running into the Bluebox w/out hum?

(On the fence to pick one up as my main mixer)

Input 1 L: Digitakt through OTO BOUM
Input 1 R: Digitone
Input 2: Eurorack system
Input 3: Norns
Input 4 L: Mother 32
Input 4 R: DFAM
Input 5: BlackBox Output 1
Input 6: Black Output 2 throuhg Zoia

Output 1: SSL Six
Output 2 L: BlackBox
Output 2 R: Digitakt
Output 3: Norns

I’m not sure what’s up with the Matriarch tbh - I’ve had problems running it directly into my UAD Apollo as well so I assume it’s an issue with the Matriarch rather than the BlueBox. The house I’m renting has really bonkers electrical issues from however it was wired (half of the outlets work intermittently or not at all) so it may just be that.

1 Like

Awesome and thanks so much - ordered one this weekend and excited to dive in!

Nice enjoy! And if the latest Blackbox update is any indication - 1010 will support the Bluebox with excellent updates for years to come.

1 Like