[2 colors, l∞ve] Analog Four+Digitone jam preview - is it shit?

So I’ve been playing around with my newly arrived Digitone and my old friend, the Analog Four.

The jam was recorded live with Overbridge with just the stereo tracks of each machine (so I can’t mix much) and the main vocal (I did add some background vocals afterward because my singing was too bad, I needed a bit of help to hide this fact^^).

So I thought it would be fun to do it again (with real lyrics) and put a video of my live rendition (minus the background vocals…) on Youtube but I’m not sure. Sometime I feel like it’s an OK song and sometime I feel like it’s just pure shit… I can’t decide so I thought you might help me decide before I embarrass my self more (ok, I lie I’m embarrassing myself already so this won’t change so much)

3 Likes

Nothing to be embarrassed of there, mate. Totally not my thing but I’ve just listened to it twice and I like it. I don’t really listen to singers and I’m tonedeaf but I liked the vocals.
Mix wise it’s ok, probably needs a bit of a boost in the low end to add weight but other than that it’s fine.

1 Like

Thank you for listening even if it’s not your cup of tea (and 2 times!) and for your feedback!

I’ve been doing pop/rock for a very long time so this is new territory for me and I can’t really tell the bad from good…

As for the mix, I can’t really mix more than that because I’ve just recorded the master tracks of each machine (so I have only 2 tracks + vocals) as I was just trying out but I shall try to record each individual tracks so that I can mix a bit more!

Or just get the mix right before you record :wink:

I wouldnt say it was shit at all. Totally not my cup of tea either, and I’ll admit I skipped through it, I just don’t go for that style of music. But that doesnt mean there’s anything wrong with it. Art is subjective innit? Keep doing what you do, if you’re enjoying it, thats what counts.

1 Like

It’s always difficult to be objective about your own music. Don’t obsess about the technical stuff, you sound like you know what you’re doing in that respect. Judge it on how well it conveys what you wanted it to. It’s the emotions that matter.

1 Like

If only I knew how to do that haha…

Yeah, I’ve been very obsessed about this or kinda self-awareness and then stopped making music for quite a long time.
And I thought “fuck that, whatever!” but here again, my old demons are coming back to haunt me…

So what if it’s shit anyway?
As long as you like it and want to share it with people that’s all that really matters.
I’m pretty guilty of oversharing on here and have put some absolute stinkers on display. I learned more from the stinkers than I ever did from the decent ones.

2 Likes

You’re totally right. The “as long as you like it” is the key.
I guess many of us are like that right? we create stuff, think it’s really dope then listen to it the next day and think this is the most horrible piece of music ever made on earth.

But yeah, putting things out there is the only way to get going I guess.
(BMX or die is a dope piece btw!)

Vocals aren’t my cup of tea but the music was good. Could see that turning into a mix that hangs with some other background music, like while I work my day job.

sad to hear that!
I was wondering if I shouldn’t release both instrumentals and vocals versions.
But the instrumental by it self is rather simplistic so dunno.

so 3/3 not their cup of tea. Let’s see if this is the statistically meaningful trend… hope not though haha

Make the music you want, not the music you think people want you to make. When I said it’s not my thing, I meant it stylistically, in that I don’t really listen to this style of music. The fact that I enjoyed it enough to listen to it twice should be taken as an indication that it’s a decent piece.

I make a lot of stuff that is almost no-one’s cup of tea, doesn’t stop me posting it here, if nothing else I might learn something.

1 Like

yeah, thank you for that!

Same here. I listen to edm, hip hop, lofi, and downbeat for the most part. You aren’t any of those nor are you Green Day from the 90s (do you have a time machine?) so the style was not likely to ever jive for me. Musically I thought it was good.

1 Like

haha
I’ll try the 70s if I had one! Could be fresh!