1gb compact flash working, 16gb compact flash not working

I recently aquired an Octatrack. Lovin’ it so I decided to upgrade the compact flash, just to be sure I can store everything safely. Ejected the working supplied card (1gb) and bough a 16gb compact flash from SanDisk, the Ultra series. Unfortunately this card is not working, the OT freezes when the card is inserted. Went back to the store and swapped the Ultra for an Extreme. Also, not working :frowning: . Very strange since the 1gb is working correcly…

Formatted both cards on Mac as fat32 with MBR. Tried inserting the card in a running OT, freezes on insert. Looked into the slot, seems to be missing pins 25 and 26 which are, according to the cf pinout, card detection pins.

Anyone recognizes this problem? Anyone cares to peek into the OT cf slot to see if pins 25 and 26 are also not installed? Right bottom and left top pin, by heart - don’t have the OT at hand right now.

Thanks all…

What OS version you running on your OT?

sry forgot to mention: 1.25h

All my pins are there. Strange that it came with a 1 gb card when you bought it.

Yeah strange indeed, should have caught my attention during purchase. Anyway, will contact Elektron for a replacement part. Thx for checking.

Seems to me you may have bought it with an issue. any chance to go back to the seller?
Apparently replacing the compact flash part is very expensive. There is a thread about this somewhere.

Maybe this one
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/bent-cf-reader-pin-end-of-the-line-for-my-ot/2324

You might be hosed, Elektron doesn’t cover that on the warranty :frowning:

This is false.

Replacing the part is not that expensive at all. The shipping here and back is the biggest cost. The part is a couple of dollars and the labour 30min-1h.

It is usually covered by the warranty if it can not be proven that you have made something stupid.

Return it or contact support and we will help you out.

5 Likes

Good to hear its not pricy to fix

Thanks all! I’ll contact support to work things out. Shipping from Holland to Sweden is ~20 euro so a repair done by Elektron is my best option.

2 Likes

Let us know how it goes. Here’s a quote from the other thread (from 2013), stating that the repair costs $465 not including labour or shipping, and that it’s not covered by warranty. Hope you have better luck - maybe Elektron have changed their policies because of all the bad press generated by this issue back in the day.

[quote]Hi,

I am afraid the Card reader PINS are not covered by warranty as they only break if the card has been inserted or ejected without care. We test every machine extensively before it gets shipped out from HQ. For this fix, we will need to replace the CPU board which is 465 USD. On top of that there will be technicians time and shipping back costs. The service can be done in LA.

We can of course fix the headphones issue under warranty.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cenk
Elektron[/quote]

1 Like

That was a different story. No need to worry.

2 Likes

Hey Olle… the same this has happened for me… im using a 16gb kingston technology CF 266X… the machine freeze when inserted… no pins missing from the the slot… are certain cards not compatible ? would you be able to shed any light on the situation ? Thanks

That card is an ideal spec, so that’s not the issue … if the OT is the issue and the Card is fine then the card would be readable in a card reader on a PC, so you can use that test to get further info about where the issue lies … it’s probably a corrupt card, so another option is to try or borrow a different card of similar spec (i.e. nothing too fast or too slow by comparison)