1010music Bluebox

I have seen many of your YT videos. May I ask what mixer and/or interface do you use for your music production into final DAW processing? I am curious because have similar gear and am kinda lost.

1 Like

SSL big six. One of the best gear decisions I’ve made ever. Very flexible in its daw <-> hardware routing. And great headroom and sound

2 Likes

It’s not a mixer, but the Smpltrek seems like an affordable tool for recording tracks and then playing/recording a new track atop them.

Edit: mentioned because it has the USB class compliance.

Evening. Don’t suppose anyone in the UK is looking to sell a Bluebox…? I think it could be the missing part of my set-up, but I’d be quite keen to buy one second-hand if possible - they don’t seem to come up all that often, which is probably a good sign…
Thanks! Dave.

I didn’t keep track of the bluebox since it came out, any noticeable changes since release?

excuse me for being to lazy to read through this thread:)))

Not selling mine as it’s a little gem. But there is a used one up on a UK auction site just now.

No, nothing has changed since it’s release.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for pointing this out - typical, I wait for ages for one to show up on eBay, give up and buy it new, then one turns up straight away…!:sweat_smile:

Major change since release is the addition of transport controls. So you can now punch in/out play/record at certain time points, which was an essential missing feature. This is accompanied by a rudimentary visual timeline of tracks.
There have been various other smaller improvements and additions and bug fixes in firmware updates. The last update was in April last year.

3 Likes

As noted in the release notes at the 1010music forums, freely available for all to read.

So this;

…wasn’t/isn’t true. If you can’t be helpful, say nothing maybe? Dodgy sarcasm/comedy doesn’t usually translate to text. :v:

6 Likes

I know from getting mine earlier this year (actually, it’s last year now…) and then updating it to the latest FW, I noticed the FX section was much improved and it made them more usable for me.

1 Like

thanks for your answer! was looking for something like this. Most reviews address these shortcomings and it’s good to red that they are addressed.

Unlike a few who just use is as a mixer im actually interested in using it as recorder and import stems later into my DAW

This is how I use it all the time and it works great for me - although taking the SD card in and out is fiddly.

I’ve found that it’s crucial to create a new project every time I want to record something, with the tempo in the title, so it’s easy to ensure I get it all matched up in bitwig when I get round to import it all. Also, midi sync makes sure the bluebox starts recording on beat.

2 Likes

I hate the stupid SD slot on this thing!

It’s a thumb-nail job but Ok really. I just wish it would automatically date/time stamp recordings…first-world problem though. It’s a great little recorder/mixer.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone would disagree that if the Bluebox worked as a USB audio interface, or could just transfer files over USB, it would be a game changer, and 1010 would probably sell 10x the amount of them that they do/have.

I use mine mainly as a mixer, and sometimes as a recorder when I want to catch something quick (it’s great to have that capability). I agree with @sid6581, it’s best to set up a new project if you know you’re going to record, but I usually treat mine like a 4-track and ‘tape’ over what’s there, or skip to where there’s free space… if it’s of value to me, I’ll grab the files off the SD card into my Mac.

3 Likes

You seemed to figure it out. And the master plan unfolded as desired. Someone came with the answer, prompted by what you describe as a ‘dodgy’ action.

I describe it as well formulated. Not quite genius, but very smart indeed in coaxing out the intended information.

Maybe it was genius.

I just bought one of these to make getting the SD card in and out quicker and easier… Plus less wear and tear on the BlueBox… https://amzn.eu/d/0FocFw0

7 Likes

I use mine with modular but after needing more 1/4 for keyboards and mixer, went with a Zoom Livetrak L12 that works better for me. Still use the Bluebox with modular and TX-6 for on the go stuff.