1010music Bluebox

Glad it’s not only me! Seems like a good idea to grab some new cables and SD cards then.

Yeah it’s a shame, it’s the one thing that’s been bugging me, otherwise I’ve been the most straight forward way of multi-tracking stuff I’ve tried but the. errors ar killing it a bit. Hopefully it’ll be all good with new cables etc.

2 Likes

Yup, really a shame. Taints the whole “portable” selling point a bit. It’s also super sensitive to interference, no way to share the power with other devices. Also, the USB host port doesn’t provide full 5V which causes problems with quite some gear. (Same with the Blackbox)

1 Like

Is it possible to have two separate stereo effects sends and returns?

So imagine drums on one track, and a synth on another track, and bass on a third. Send the drums to an external reverb unit and back in on another track, and send the synth and bass to a different fx loop like a chorus unit. One output for the main mix.

Can you control how much of each input track gets sent to individual outputs for the purpose of fx send/returns?

Thanks

Should be possible if you set your phones out to be the CUE send instead of mirroring main. Then you can put one effect on Phones/CUE, another on OUT2, and main (as always) would be OUT1. Each track lets you adjust the levels you send to CUE and OUT2 independently, so you should be golden.

4 Likes

Awesome thank you.

That was also the answer I was looking for :slight_smile:

My plan is to use the blue box in the following constellation:
1 mono out for effects
1 mono out to feed the Digitakt
1 stereo out to feed the Blackbox

This should also possible if I am correctly.

You are correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just noticed they’ve released a new beta firmware 1.2.0

Bluebox 1.2.0 includes some new features from your requests:

- You now have the option to mute/unmute tracks on the CUE output--instead of controlling the level manually. Look for the CUE Style option in MAIN - B.
- All the controls on the MAIN page are now available for MIDI CC control, including the master level.
- OUT3 control is now available on the TRACK page
- You can now latch the recording by tapping the record button. When you press play or start using sync from an external device, recording will begin.
- You can now use the Save As Template feature to transfer the active preset settings to a new micro SD card. This is very handy when you run out of space on your micro SD card during a gig or jam session.
17 Likes

How do you bluebox users rate the inbuilt FX? My current setup is DN->BIM->BAM->OT<-A4

OT is a mixer, and adds some FX. I was thinking of replacing it wit bluebox specifically so I could have

DN into stereo one, A4 into stereo 2, BIM->BAM into stereo 3. Then use one of the outs as a stereo send to BIM->BAM. That way both A4 and DN can benefit from all the OTO goodness, at different levels, at different times.

I know OT does a lot more, but it can’t let me do that. The only thing I’d currently miss is OTs dark reverb and compressor.

Thanks in advance for your time

Russell

Reverb is lush - earlier firmware had a lot more flexibility - later firmware opted for presets but they sound good. Think you’ll be able to find a reverb that you like. I own the OT as well and its as good if not better IMO.

Delay is fairly standard - not very configurable compared to the reverb. Most of my delay duties from Modular or Polymoon.

I haven’t played much with the compressor on it. I’m still using the OT as part of my chain.

Modular -> Bluebox -> Octa A/B C/D -> Cue to Modular. Bluebox Main -> Monitors

1 Like

I think it’s pretty nice and, yes we lost some configurability on FW revision, but 1010Music seem pretty responsive and there’s a new FW in the wings so who knows what will happen. It’s nice and easy to use, and lovely and small.

1 Like

Sounds pretty similar to how I changed my setup before and after I got the bluebox, I don’t miss the OT’s effects. The bluebox compressor is much more configurable, and the reverb sounds nice with a lot of different flavours to choose from.

Beside built-in effects in some synths, I only use bluebox and boum now for effects

1 Like

Yeah, if you’re not using any of the other OT capabilities then the Bluebox will probably better serve you as a mixer. You can even use two stereo outs on the Bluebox to go to BIM/BAM separately - then you could still cascade one into the next if you want to. Would give you a lot more flexibility as far as what sources go where :slight_smile:

The delay is okay, the filter is very usable and sounds nice when the cutoff is modulated (maybe from your DN?). Note, that as of the last FW, your reverb settings are not saved with the song preset (the settings revert to whatever reverb preset you’re using). Not a huge deal, but a bit inconvenient.

The Bluebox compressor seems pretty flexible so I’d imagine it would compare to the OT’s just fine. The big caveat is that the OT’s FX can be modulated & p’locked - will you miss this? You could do a little bit of it from the DN but it would be nowhere near as seamless as on one machine.

Nice!

3 Likes

Just bought my 2nd Bluebox after selling my first and buying a Tascam Model 12. I got the Tascam to go with my MPC One. I Sold the One and got another Deluge and now remember how nice it was size wise with the Bluebox…so bye bye Tascam.

3 Likes

It’s hard to beat that foot print. The only issue I’m having now is finding the right stand for it. I’m using the KVGear Stiletto but I’d like something with a lower profile at the same angle.

So I almost read the whole thread, started from 2020, til now 2022 :sweat_smile:
Can someone just PLEASE pin at the beginning of this thread the correct fitting 3,5mm jack split cables? literally half of the thread is filled with:

“witch cables fit on the 1010?”

:rofl:

I’m in need of more IO for my growing HW synths setup. the bluebox looks pretty cool as a submixer for my beloved SiX, still not convinced completely, I have a feeling sooner or later there will be a 2.0 version , like the SiX now got the one year later a Big SiX.

I’m in need for more convincing videos.

I found this guy on youtube who uses with an external USB mixer, pretty nice! he got 2 different setups ( and the music is pretty rad :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: )

Its difficult to know if its works for me, I should just try it, but annoying that I need to get some cables also in order to test it. I have enough space, i’m curious what would then be a good alternative? the Tascam model12? I really need more stereo channels, and also FX sends. dang it.

1 Like

I dont know where you are located but I’ve used these and they are perfect…not too tight, work great…used them for months now.

2 Likes
3 Likes

:crazy_face:

These cables work great with the Bluebox.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BMMPCY--black-market-bmm-ytrs-tr-stereo-breakout-cable-3.5mm-trsm-to-left-and-right-3.5mm-trs-f

Bluebox is my favorite portable mixer, one of my most useful hardware devices. Just picked up a second one as well. Thanks to 1010music for this brilliant device.

1 Like