1010music Blackbox

This could definitely be cool! The SFM chains were my favorite pre-loaded sounds on the OT :slight_smile:

Same for me, used them so much but wanted to use my Static slots for super long .wavs, so I extracted the hits in the Mars chains and re-chained them to concise slice chains using Octachainer. Got some of those 12MB chains down to 3MB into my Flex slot list.

I remember my first Mars product was the Voyetra multi-samples. A synth I could never own, but there it was, in my DAW, so to speak. I dreamed of a portable modern sampler that could play back the multi-samples. Way to go 1010! Just add a filter envelope and Iā€™ll be all about it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hello,

i got a blackbox a week ago, iā€™m learning the deviceā€¦ i saw that with the newest firmware, we can write sequences without sticking to the grid, which is really cool. Just une question: when working with the grid off and with long sequences (letā€™s say 64 bars for instance) how do you move or nudge events quickly ont the sequencer page ? if the grid is off, it takes a while to move them since thereā€™s no gridā€¦ and if i enable the grid, events will move faster but all my sequence will be quantised, which i donā€™t want obviously. Is there a way to move events quickly with the step mode off ? thanks

Blame Circuitghostā€¦

I bought it s/h. There is only one midi cable in the box. Should there be more? And no manual?

3 Likes

I donā€™t remember having a manual in the box, itā€™s a pdf online at 1010music.com

But you should have 2 midi adapters.

2 Likes

:fury:

Ok, have to make a phone callā€¦

1 Like

I had a printed manual, 2 MIDI adapters, PSU.

Also 2nd hand.

1 Like

I know where the seller lives. :wink:

1 Like

with Step Mode: OFF you can move the step around with the encoders. the bottom left nudges it left and right, the top right extends it. in KEYS mode, the bottom right transposes note.

like you, I wish there was sort of a ā€œmiddle groundā€ because I vastly prefer the encoders to touching the screen. some sort of ā€œSHIFTā€ function to make encoders tick faster would be great for keeping Step Mode OFF and still moving steps quickly across the grid, as well as for instance dialing in Velocity or Probability. as of now, turning the encoders 3 or 4 times to get my Probability to 50% is not ideal.

3 Likes

Stimmingā€™s review on the Blackbox and Bluebox is online!!!

30 minutes long. Enjoy. :black_heart: :blue_heart: :coffee: :no_bell: :film_strip:

5 Likes

I absolutely love the compressor on the BB. Snare slaps!

Also the audio quality is always something I am impressed by.

Hereā€™s a lil 1 min jam (glitchy snare and tribal drums from DN).

Also using DN as audio interface.

3 Likes

The Blackbox is currently 15% off on Perfect Circuit for the weekend.

3 Likes

It has lots of frustrating ui choices, and a barely above basic sequencer, but Iā€™d be lying if I said I didnā€™t use it every single day. Itā€™s ease of use, and portability are hard to be beat. Combined with a QuNexus controller and a large sized SD and filled with Samples From Mars, itā€™s a one machine production dream.

5 Likes

Daaamn. Thatā€™s a nice price for a spanky new one!

1 Like

Ok, sometimes you try something new, and it totally clicks and gels with you. This wasnā€™t the BB for me.

In short, I put it ((Bb) up for sale, and someone offered me a trade in for a Maschine+, which is now on the way to meā€¦

I really like the fact that they keep updating their devices. Not only giving it more features but also improve workflow. EG: Saw that it got an upgrade in multi sampling making use of it much faster.

And I guess the big question isā€¦ What are the Green-, Red- & Yellowboxes and when will they come out?! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

My favourite sessions with the Blackbox is when I got all the clips ready and done to finish a song. I know itā€™s all in there among the sixteen slot grids, and I put them together into different batches in the Song mode, experimenting with length, timing, structure and stuff. Most of the time, I do this work away from the Blackbox, in my head as I go about doing other things. Then, as I get back to the BBox, I sit down and assemble the ideas Iā€™ve had since last time, listen to them, try to hear what itā€™s telling me and then walk away from it again.

The way a track grows into something like this, the realisation that you got all the samples and clips right there, you just need to find their right place ā€¦ I just love being in that place.

3 Likes

Soā€¦ I took the time to fix the screen tilt the 3D file Aaron posted on the forum:

3 Likes

what would be the blackboxā€™s closest rival?

1 Like

For me, thatā€™d be the Deluge. But I use the Blackbox sequencer and song mode extensively, so Iā€™m counting that into the equation.

Streaming sampler, great recording features and converters, lots of interesting options to manipulate your samples, and a sequencer and song mode that goes beyond the 64-step patterns-in-a-bunch structure.

The multiple outs and superior output quality, of which its internal effects play an important part, of the Blackbox means Iā€™ll never stay on the Deluge only, though.