1010music Blackbox

I’m still on 1.7 only. While that one had its issues, it seems more reliable than the 1.7Somethings that came after :slight_smile:

Even finished my first commercial track on this new firmware now, going all in with probability and stuff.

I get the feeling 1010 is starting to push the limits of the CPU, acting up in all kinds of strange ways now when they roll in new stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at getting one of these but I keep getting conflicting information on one thing because the topic gets mixed up with overdubbing in live looping, which I’m not concerned with. My understanding with live looping is you can’t overdub and also you lose the “trails” at the end of your recording past the sequence length. For example if you have reverb on your instrument you’re recording you lose the tail end of it – it doesn’t wrap around the remainder. But what I’m concerned with is about just recording things while building up your sequence or song (ie not needing it to be a totally live looper affair)? Are you not able to make recordings while playing with your sequence and still get the trails? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!

You can do that by extending the length of your sequence so it plays past the midi notes and records the tails of the audio.

Then you can set the length of the sequence back to your loop length. Play back the sample polyphonically (duo-phonic is all you need depending on the tail length) in sampler mode.

This will let the tail continue to play as the loop starts over and plays the beginning of the sample mixed with the tail.

It would need to be done in sampler mode so you lose the ability to time stretch the loop. Not a problem if you are okay with a set BPM.

You could also use two of the same sample on 2 separate pads, double the sequence length, and alternate between them. This would obviously cut into the 16 available pads per project, but would give you time stretching capabilities.

6 Likes

Gotcha. Seems simple enough and glad to hear it. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s this kind of demo that’ll sell a product right there. Great stuff. I’m not, I repeat, NOT heading to Sweetwater.com right now, I swear.

1 Like

Thanks for saying :pray: sweetwater or not :blush:

I may jump on the 1010 Blackbox train myself soon. Partly because it would be awesome to be able to capture Digitakt loops in the recorder and to record stereo samples from the Virus B, but also because I am seriously considering selling my KordBot - I just need something to record the chords for playing later and I think the BB might well be ideal for this! The KordBot has 32 different chords with inversions and such, I’m planning on recording them all into the BB and naming them individually for easy access later. I’d also like to import them into Ableton Live. Is this something I would be able to do with the BB?

Friday morning EP mixing.

8 Likes

So my BB arrived, powers up from a USB power brick without issue. I set up the DT to send clock to it and recorded some perfectly synced loops. Took a 64 chord sample chain and sliced it - worked perfectly, though the release setting on the envelope wasn’t very helpful. The sequencer is a bit fiddly, but no more so than the MPC Live/One - I find it really difficult to tap on skinny boxes with any degree of precision. But overall, I’m super impressed! It’s like a 21st Century SP-404, and then some.

I’ve been thinking about getting one +a 2 channel audio interface instead of a 8 channel interface.

TL;DR this long thread, is that a good setup? I want to keep things outside of the DAW as much as possible, but the idea of recording in 2 channels at a time to be tedious, though from what I’ve read I could just record the loops/tracks to the SD card and just transfer it over to my Mac? How do the converters/inputs stand up?

Thanks, you folks are the best!

working with the screen gets easier.

Would the Bluebox not be more your cup of tea, considering all the inputs? Not entirely sure of the specs but seems better suited to the task. Also, loving the username, just finished Gibson’s Sprawl trilogy plus Burning Chrome a couple of months ago.

Shankiphonic, I sure hope it does get easier… Do you use a stylus or just an old-fashioned finger?

1 Like

Clearly I need more sleep and to not read this forum while making music, I thought this thread was about the bluebox not the black!

Haha, go to bed! Can’t the Bluebox record all the channels at once? I’ve no idea but would have thought so, bit of a weird restriction otherwise.

I’ve become quite proficient with the screen and nailing pretty accurately even fiddly stuff. Also, don’t underestimate the encoders to adjust your stuff. As long as you get your trig in there somehow, just be like that Cruise fella in Minority Report and shift stuff around with the encoders.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice, especially regarding the encoders as I haven’t tried using them much with sequence editing. I’m going to dive deeper into it today as I have a day off work. :slight_smile: For me the one shot sequencing is the icing on the cake - I’d be content if it only recorded and played back loops as well as it does!

Update: I’ve played around more with the zooming in of the sequences and it’s actually really easy to edit them! I clearly hadn’t zoomed in far enough when I was attempting it last night.

2 Likes

At the risk of cross-posting, I figure it’s relevant enough to say it here as well - I just put out an EP and it’s made entirely on the Blackbox, with samples of my own. Summing and mastering done on an SSL SiX through the Blackbox multiple outputs and recorded straight to a Zoom H1n before uploading.

So yep, Blackbox only -

6 Likes

Essentially, this is the “studio”, as it were. Though getting the samples into the Box took some effort from other sources, of course.

8 Likes

Is it still the case that the Blackbox cannot be connected to a computer to transfer files? Do you still need to transfer the card?

For better or worse, yes, this is the case.

2 Likes