1010music Blackbox

Had a go with the 1.3 update this morning, using the included demo content for some lovely piano action. An old-fashioed acoustic one, a set of rhodes keys and the mandatory Korg M1 piano (thougn they call it someone thing else, and you know, maybe it is). Voice stealing causes some clipping, but keeping that in mind, this is just a great update. Haven’t touched the midi learn stuff yet, I’m hoping more for internal modulation rather than external.

1 Like

I don’t understand what multisampling is!

Different wav files for different key ranges and velocities.

1 Like

Been using it some more now. For monophonic stoff, it’s great. For poly stuff, it depends. Voice stealing’s not great. Some clicks and pops from time to time. But overall, expands very nicely on this capable box.

I can’t decide between the Blackbox and Digitakt.
I use SquarpPyramid for all my sequencer needs, including Plocks like I have on the Rytm. So is the combination of the Pyramid and Blackbox pretty much the same as the Digitakt?

2 Likes

Not at all. The Digitakt has an entirely different flavour and its sequencer is an integral part of its audio design, not to mention it can be an eight voice synth (kinda) if you work it right.

They’re very different, I’d say. I was on the Digitakt for about a year, but won’t be coming back to it.

1 Like

Actually, one particular thing I’m after is the ability to pitch sequence samples while modulating the samples grain size. Can the Digitakt do this, it’s sequencer as you say being part of the audio design? I have been reading the manual but I can’t work out how.

I just circuitghosted my OT.

3 Likes

:smiley: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Not exactly. You can pitch samples, and the Digitakt does this quite well, despite the lack of a time stretch algoritm (or maybe because of it :). There’s no proper feature for actual granularity within the Digitakt, but there’s lots of stuff you can do that accomplishes the same kind of sound. Apply LFO to the start and end points or just p-lock them, bring down the pitch, move between playback modes and stuff.

Not to mention the Digitakt’s output quality and sound engine is just fantastic. It has a lovely character. I think its mono character (input and sample conversion, not output - output’s stereo) has something to do with it.

With that said, I’m with the Blackbox and since I’m a minimalist, I wouldn’t trade it for the Digitakt. But not because the Digitakt isn’t great, but because the Blackbox fits me just right in all the ways that count for me.

2 Likes

Thanks. Good to know, but since my use will be at the lofi end I’m ok if the Black box is the lesser of the two in sound quality.

Thanks. This is what I need to know.
Time to buy a Blackbox!

Made a glitchy jam out of samples recorded from the new Fractal Bits app. Manipulating one particular syncopated sample with some mapped knobs to see what crazy sounds I can get from the BB’s granular mode.

4 Likes

The BBox has top notch sound quality, as the Digitakt. But there’s a lot more character in the Digitakt, a very specific flavour that’s easy to love. The Bbox has personality in its filter and granular mode, but it doesn’t match the Takt in terms of special flavour.

2 Likes

Damn. Awesome.

I have a Behringer deepmind 12 and I’m looking for a partner to make rhythms and more melodies, what do you think of this 1010music Blackbox?

I’m still falling more in love with this little monster. For the first time, I used it as a midi hub to send my ATOM pads through it to play (and sequence) drums from my MODX. Additionally recorded pads and a bassline as clips. Filter cutoff mapped to an ATOM knob. Everything’s just so easy. My poor keyboard skills aside…

3 Likes

Mine should rock up tomorrow :grin:

1 Like

Anyone tried playing back entire songs/tracks on it to see how it does? Figured it might be interesting to load up a whole library of completed songs and sample entire bars or phrases of other tracks.

Just pulled the trigger on one of these.

I think it may do all the things my digitakt couldn’t in a portable form factor