100% wet / 0% dry - delay. Possible?

Like the subject suggests… is it possible to impliment a delay on the MnM where only the wet signal is heard ? if so, how ? if not, why not ?!

thanks

No. The delay track effect is always in-line. I guess they just though that people almost always use delays that way.

thanks for confirming.

every other stalworth effect has a Mix dial. So if your speculation re: their assumptions is correct, it’s strange that they include a mix dial for every other effect.

I guess it’s because the delay is the only track effect that is typically used as a send effect in opposition to the others, which are typically used as insert effects:

1 Like

could understand it being an ‘executive decision’ being made when trying to get the balance of parameters available within the GUI, especially as an effect that’s available on every synth track - something has to go to make everything fit.

but on a thru track, there is oodles of free space, or better yet just provide a dedicated Delay FX machine if needs be.

anyway, as far as what’s typical or not when it comes to delay usage - and I would argue not having a mix dial is not as typical as some folks suggest - we should consider that on the MnM it is not a typical delay once you add parameter locks and the three lfos … you can make some far out patches that are, imho, marred by the presence of the dry signal…

ymmv etc, but for me this seems like a significant oversight.

Yes I agree.

As a track effect, I am fine with the “stripped down” version of the delay, as you said, since it’s available on every track.

But I also agree … it would have been nice to have the delay available as a dedicated thru effect (which would of course take up a whole track, but then offer a lot more possibilities, like a dry/wet-knob, options for pingpong, behavior (digital vs. tape-style like in the OT) and a lot more, as a standalone it would then have no problems regarding DSP power etc…

Hey,

I’m trying to talk myself out of buying more FX devices and into using more the stuff I already have. My good ol’ MM mk1 is a good candidate. I want to use it on an aux send of my mixer, as a send FX. Return signal should only be the 100% wet effect. No dry because there’s noticeable AD-DA conversion delay that doesn’t mix well with the dry signal already passing through the mixer.

I have already set up some tests with a thru machine passing audio to tracks with chorus en reverb effects. These have dry/wet controls and work fine.

Now I am a sucker for modulated delay fx and these can easily be made on the MM but I don’t find a way to get only the wet signal of the delay. Any advice?

No, because the delay is a track effect and not an FX machine there’s no dry/wet control. The dry signal is always mixed in. I’ve been trying to think of a way around it but I can’t.

5 Likes

I couldn’t work it out either… Tanx for chiming in!

Using the 3 stereo output routing, you could hard pan the original dry sound to say output E, and now any amount of delay that’s added will be sent to output F, your wet delay due to the ping pong effect. It’s not a beautiful stereo delay but you could just send it to both cd and ef busses than treat d like left and f like the right output. I hope that helps any!

4 Likes

Congrats! That’s an actual solution :slight_smile: Though I’m not willing to give up on stereo to make this work.

Continuing in this line I can see a setup with 2THRU tracks both receiving audio from input A (or AB). One is panned hard right, the other hard left. The first sends to bus CD, the other to EF. Then 2 more THRU machines on 2 other tracks. One receives from bus CD, hard pans left and outputs to AB. The second receives EF, pans right and outputs to AB.

That should give 100% wet delayed, stereo signal. Though that’s just too many tracks to dedicate to it and to handle with modulation etc…

I think I’ll focus on building FX setups that give me the wet signal the standard way.

1 Like

Yep, the method above works for stereo 100% wet delay. But one has to use 4 tracks and all 3 stereo busses (2 internally). The point of that is to further process it with more FX tracks. If one wants just the delays then 2 tracks and 2 busses will do, as @twofax described.

That stereo delay setup you mentioned with four track might be unneeded, given that it’s just processing the same signal twice. Instead, you could do the same hard panned method, but take a cable and connect the wet delay signal( say F out) and plug right into the input. Lose 1 input channel but now the wet delay can be processed with the stereo effects on the MnM.

That’s if you set the delay times the same. But of course it’s a lot of fun to give them different delay times :slight_smile:

That loop through method you describe is likely to introduce a noticeable DA-AD conversion delay, so the 2 sides will always be a little phased.

1 Like

This is a smart solution. The track usage soon adds up but it works. Good thinking!