Yamaha RM1X

anyone have one?
ever used one?

I used to have one, it was my first sequencer back in 2000,
it was exellent, brilliant sequencer, which was pretty much the same on the motif (which i bought to replace the rm1x)
The sounds are however not tweakable enough, and you cant change them, but the midi worked really well with other samplers…
I would have always liked to get a rs7000, but after the morif i changed for an mpc, and since then im 100% elektron, but still got fond memories of the rm1x

2 Likes

same here, had one back in the days (somewhere around end of the 90s) and i really enjoyed playing with it. yep, you can’t play a lot with the sounds but nevertheless, it was (and still is) capable of good ones and the MIDI implementation isn’t bad at all … well, then came Elektron … :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

the rs7000 looks amazing… but a bit too big to take anywhere. it’s great studio gear though… and looks great too…

I’ve got a RM-1X heading my way, it should be here by the 31st.
I’ve heard it on youtube only… I like some of what I’ve heard and not liked some. (I have 30 days to decide if I’ll keep it)

I owned a Machinedrum for 15 days. I got it just before the Analog 4 came out and I exchanged it for the A4. I’m happy I did that, yet sometimes I wish I still had the Machinedrum too even though I don’t need the 16 tracks.
My set up right now is the A4 and the Octatrack which was my first Elektron purchase.

to be honest deep down I’m hoping and wishing that Elektron will make a 8 or 9 track analog drum machine… in the A4 vein. But with more than just stereo out…

I’ve been considering getting one the last couple of days actually. I need a MIDI sequencer to go with the Analog Four that will be used to sequence the Roland SP-404SX plus a synth or two.

Currently I use a Korg Electribe EA-1 (synths) and ER-1 (SP-404SX), but they only do 4/4 and 3/4 time signatures. In addition the MIDI note numbers on the ER-1 are set globally, so it’s a hassle changing between projects.

A friend used an RM1x back in the days, and while I never really got too familiar with it myself, it seemed like a great machine. Very flexible sequencer.

The sounds don’t get much praise, and the synthesis is pretty simple with what I think is offset values when you edit sounds, but I’ve heard some nice and characterful music made with it nonetheless.

The only downside, at least for my use, would be that in grid recording mode (x0x-style), you will only hear the channel you are working on, and not the others.

Also there seems to be limitations with recording/altering patterns while the sequencer is running, but I would probably make everything beforehand, spread things across as many channels as possible and then do simple muting/unmuting when playing the music.

“The only downside, at least for my use, would be that in grid recording mode (x0x-style), you will only hear the channel you are working on, and not the others”

this will a problem for me too. I don’t think I’ll like that at all.

Program your XOX drum parts to one track then expand the drum track after programming it so that each part has it’s own track, channel and sequence - this also means you can add midi fx in teatime and further step / xox sequence midi CC’ etc also on those tracks.

1 Like

thanks!

I’ve read that it’s a great sequencer
also that it is very intuitive… but I’ve also read that it’s hard to master.

I had both rm1x and rs7000. Very similar apart from the obvious differences of sampling multi out ability on rs7000. I did find the rm1x to be less prone to midi jitter than the rs7000.

It was a bit of a pain to sequence (both) but was totally worth it once the tracks were filled with midi data…for the one reason of midi effects. Being able to apply delay and timing effects to midi data going to external gear was the absolute business!

I found the best way to populate it with data was actually to write midi loops in ableton and then just record them in to the rm1x… (Tip turn tempo down to minimise midi jitter) I found this easiest.

Rm1x pops up dirt cheap very often worth picking up.

3 Likes

Lots of differences between the RM1X @ RS7000 operationally IMHO.

Step & grid Record Modes for example with full punch in out recording in X0X mode on the RS7K and proper track Monitor across all tracks when in both Step and X0X Mode.

RS7000’s X0X mode worked in any time signature with anything from 1/4 note to 1/128th note input with triplet timing devisions in-between.

Realtime loop remixing of Midi Data

Midi Play FX, Midi Delay ARP, Midi Unison & Grid Groove could be bounced into the Midi Data of a Track.

Midi Out A & B + TG Track for Sampler and the RS7KS Filters where actually pretty good on sampled material (no sampling on the RM1X).

Much Bigger control surface with some 29 full assignable Midi CC knobs.

Could Step sequence and X0X sequence RPN’s, NRPRN’s and/or Midi CC’s for parameter lock style control per step of any controller parameter.

Midi Mutes and Scenes on the RS7K - not a lot of them but enough to be useful for live performance.

You have to get used to Yamaha -
A Song is called a Style
A Style is 16 Tracks over 16 sections (A-P)
Each track in any section in a single style can have 264 individual phrases.
So a phrase on track 1 that trigger a kick drum could be on track 8 with an arp controlling a baseline for example.
Any phrase could also be between 1 bar and 999 bars long in any time signature simultaneously (independent of the master time signature).
You could also beat stretch midi data to play up to 4 times faster or 4 times slower per phrase on any track in any section in any style also.
The Yamaha QY700 works on similar principles but can in someways be more advanced.
I haven’t used either for years but was one of the main Moderators at RS7000.org many years ago and used to know the RS7000 incredibly well.
That is a very poor overview, but it is a hugely powerful sequencing tool.

4 Likes

Are you saying you can’t use the x0x mode for 5/8, 7/8 etc, or just that it’s not optimal in some sense (in which case, how?)?

On the RS7000 you can monitor all tracks in realtime in X0X mode which means you could in theory program for example

Track 1 Section A
Phrase 01 - 4 bars 4/4

Track 2 Section A
Phrase 02 - 16 bars 7/4

Track 3 Section A
Phrase 03 - 5 bars 2/4

Track 4 Section A
Phrase 04 - 32 bars 5/16

With full punch in / out of play record modes whilst changing note input divisions on the fly etc also.

1 Like

Just wanted to add that the strength of the RM1-X is in its ability to sequence remix. Once you have a number of styles / songs created it is for example very easy to introduced phrases and musical motifs from other songs into the ones you’ve already created.
It is fast enough to do on the fly whilst performing mutes, solo’s etc also and build up some rather nicely perfumed live sequence performances.
It is well built and also extremely powerful as a production tool (so don’t let the above comments put you off) - If I could get an RM1-X cheap I probably would (especially if space constraints are an issue).
That said of the series of sequencers RS7000, RM1X, QY Series I personally prefer the QY700 out of the bunch (just personal preference) but they are some of the best hardware sequencer made and work well for extremely intricate midi programming.

1 Like

It does sound like the RS7000 has some rather big advantages over the RM1x. Anyway, due to size and price (and some ambition of keeping it simple (and the metal casing (and the colour))), I ended up getting an RM1x too. Probably it will be here by the weekend.

1 Like

I own a RM1X but gave up on it after a couple of days of headscratching and swearing. I can normally pick up gear very quickly but this just made no sense to me. I can’t remember the exact issues now but I just found that it behaved in unexpected ways when I attempted to sequence external gear.

One day/week I might have another sit with it and the manual, but I’ll most likely just sell the thing.

You probably need to look in the data channel for that phrase. It more than likely a Midi PC Number embedded in the the phrase data that is causing your external gear to reset back to patch 001 on pattern cycle and/or the same patch number as the one in the TG header of the phrase itself.
Otherwise it should behave with external gear.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’ll try and remember when I eventually get around to plugging it in again!

The size factor of the RM1x vs RS7000 is not really that massive actually.

You probably need to look in the data channel for that phrase. It more than likely a Midi PC Number embedded in the the phrase data that is causing your external gear to reset back to patch 001 on pattern cycle and/or the same patch number as the one in the TG header of the phrase itself.
Otherwise it should behave with external gear.[/quote]
Can’t remember if/where it is on a RM1x; but in the RS7000 there are two options called “TG Param Out” and “Voice Setup to TG” in the “Utilitiy -> Midi Setup” menu which determines if she will process any Bank/Program chance and patch settings in the phrase header.

When “TG Param Out” is on, as VennDiagram said, it can send unwanted Bank/Program changes out of the midi port to external gear.

Additionally, when “Voice Setup to TG” is on this can cause unwanted glitches when changing patterns, as it i[/i] is potentially trying to change patches for 16 settings at once, so IMHO should always be turned off; and any changes should be done via programmed Bank/Program changes and/or SysEx.

1 Like

You can also filter out certain midi CC / NRPRN messages on any given midi channel also so you don’t have this problem either.
Sadly I haven’t touched an RM1X or RS7K in several years so I am going by memory here.

1 Like

I just returned the RM1x, it was in pretty bad shape.

it got here a couple of days ago it sounded bad, very distorted and had a missing knob and loose screws on the body (a couple missing)
oh well…