Why 90% of users dont have their music in the profile?

I’ve added my SoundCloud. It’s all a bit “beginnery” as most of it was recorded about a year ago and none of it contains anything done on elektron gear so doesn’t really have much of a place on an elektron users forum.:grimacing:
I have since bought a DT and DN, but also had a kid at the same time, so productivity levels have decreased accordingly.
Feel free to enjoy my SoundCloud. Or don’t, it’s not very good, wouldn’t want you to waste your time.

RepostExchange gives back some of the functionality, but SoundCloud really has suffered…

Thats what i meant with these Pseudo Group Users. Its luck if they repost you (prolly because they receive thousands of Tracks per Minute). So its nothing you can count on. And therefore its nothing to waste time with :wink:

Just started back making music after a 6-7 year break due to personal stuff…As soon as I finish my first track or two I’ll upload one :thup: …but prepare for super-duper amateur sounding stuff though…not being modest here either :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

cuz who has time for making music when somebody is WRONG in OB forum :astonished:

6 Likes

I have trouble updating my profile from my phone, but I usually drop my tracks on this thread anyway:

And lately I’ve been more active on the thread related to the collective I’m in :

2 Likes

haha, correct!

1 Like

imo, releasing music online is dumb and antithetical to the creative process.

it gets so exhausting trying to follow the constant stream of soundcloud/bandcamp releases that it just turns into noise after a time; a useless exercise. uploading your latest random one-off track isn’t my idea of making music. but it’s as if folks do it (un)intentionally to show that they’re alive and relevant. or perhaps to convince themselves that they are indeed musicians because of their ability to produce.

either way i’m increasingly finding that people are interested in making music for weird reasons that are related to anything but the actual content of the work – self-promotion, politics, youtube views, etc.

so for me, i am way more interested in releasing a physical object - tape/cd/pressing - with consideration of secondary points of access to the work like the insert, ways to disseminate the work, etc.

also am more interested in performing live than in releasing music. it’s probably true that you won’t be performing live consistently without having content out on the internet for others to stream and listen to, but i digress.

maybe i’ll just share music with close friends and/or with the community i associate with.

so to sum up: not against anyones choices here and not against sharing music – i just question the ubiquity with which faceless platforms have become the mainstay for sharing. for me it takes the personal out of the music, which is something i refuse to perpetuate.
i like the experience of going to shows, talking to musicians, having a human interaction, and ultimately buying the physical object – cassettes/records – if i’ve enjoyed the performance/set.

7 Likes

Yes, people sharing music make me happy, too!

and you are right, if there is a useful tip, it is not important what kind of music the person is doing.

I was referring to more specific arguments …(and there are plenty on this forum) :stuck_out_tongue:
regarding techniques, workflows, equipment, what is better or not,
that is often tied to specific genres or types of music.

1 Like

LOL

The irony is, the main reason I visit the forum is to find out when the new Overbridge is out… which is also is the exact reason why I don’t have music to link to my profile at the moment.

But I do agree with the sentiment.

Some people go fishing just to pass the time or for the sport of it and just end up throwing the fish back, they don’t eat the fish.

Just as some people who enjoy making music don’t actually finish tracks, they just do it to enjoy passing the time making music.

You are right, it is good to hear what music other people are making though.

Added site link in profile :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did add some old soundcloud links to my profile a while ago but I just get errors now, both with Safari and Chrome on Mac. :skull:

i suppose it’s a bit of a leap for most to share - and added pressure is nothing anyone should add to their favorite past time - at the same time, I’m just as curious and do enjoy listening to others work a lot

1 Like

I just went and checked my forum stats and not a single post I’ve made about my own music has been listened to, so why bother with a profile link?

I’m pretty sure if people want to find my music they can find it using Google.

3 Likes

just realizing that the music category is almost impossible to edit with chrome under win7

Yeah, it’s very difficult to get at least a minimum of attention. Here and elsewhere. It is what it is

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I am just having a look at your youtube now, I have a youtube aswell (keep forgetting about that…)

1 Like

Looked at your post history and am now listening to From Out of Fog. It’s good, man - well done!

I agree with you somewhat actually. However, I live in a remote part of the world, and getting gigs is a rare thing indeed, even seeing other humans happens not very often. When I lived in UK this was not an issue, gigs and tactile contact with fans all over the place.

Now I get more feedback from youtube viewers than I ever have from doing shows here in Australia. Online music sharing is what it is. I don’t rely on it to spread my music, but it is nice when someone asks me ‘Oh have you got anything I could hear?’ I can give them a link.

I don’t release physical copies of my music anymore, as remote as I am, shipping would make it very expensive. Which is a shame as I have released records cds and tapes in the past and I loved it! I wish that would happen again.

Ultimately though, the most important bit for me is making the music, finishing EPs, albums, and then getting that stuff heard. I would love to do more gigs, have more records out, but online sharing does have a place.

2 Likes

All too often I think I’ve finished something that I’d like to share with people, only to hear it later and cringe. The stuff I have on bandcamp took a shedload of effort before I was willing to make it public (and it still nearly didn’t make it). And even then it’s not that interesting.

I guess I’m still working my way through the gap

4 Likes