What can I buy, if I sell my DT?

Hi, folks. I need buying advise. I play 2 keyboard synths and more of a keyboard player than a knob tweaker. I like my DT, it’s great on its own, but I can’t use its full potential as both my hands are occupied playing keys and I find it difficult to integrate it with other gear. So I want to sell it to support other things. All I have is money I can get from selling the unit + maybe 100-200 bucks.

Possible alternatives:

1. an ipad (will use it primarily as an FX processor and a DAW, not so interested in ios synths).
    2)laptop + bitwig (for similar tasks). I know I have not enough money for a new one.

Note: 1) audio interface Arturia Audiofuse. It will work with both. 2) system needs to handle up to 10 tracks, don’t need more.

So what would you buy? Please, be more specific about models. Thanks.

2 Likes

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough. I don’t need another keyboard, or desktop synth. I need a DAW, just not sure what alternative is the best.

1 Like

If you need a daw that is the best option. There is no piece of hardware that can fully replace it.

The closest I personally think there is would be the mpc live/x or the deluge.

2 Likes

Was thinking about the octatrack MK1 as an FX processor and a DAW in a box, but I fear this machine =). DT is relatively easy to understand.

DSI Mopho SE (bass, leads) + Nord Wave (poly stuff) => Arturia Audiofuse as a mixer. Year ago I bought the DT and was really happy until now. It was very enjoyable to create beats, to learn a new instrument and now I want to make songs, record them and I need a DAW really, but not sure what can I afford with that money. Octatrack isn’t in the list. Yes, it can arrange and record and be an FX processor for my two synths, but it’s too complicated and, as you mentioned, it’s knob tweaking again. I’ll be glad if you suggest particular ipad/laptop models for my needs.

ableton live 10 suite can be had for the same price as a retail digitak. Even lower if you are not purchasing the suite. FL studio can be found on amazon for 200-300 dollars for the producer/signature edition. Reaper is 50$. Depending on your needs finding a DAW for a good price is feasible.

IF you feel that you need a DAW, you will always run into the issue of feature x,y, and z not existing in hardware form or not being easy to accomplish on a piece of hardware.

3 Likes

Let’s put it this way. I will have 800 $, when I sell the DT and add some cash. I will be able to buy an Ipad pro 2017 with 64 GB and 4 GB of RAM. Do I actually need 4 GB? Or I could buy 2018 regular version for less money, but with 128 GB and 2 GB of RAM. Any other possible variants?

Maybe a used Macbook? Not including price of a DAW of cause. Have absolutely no idea about the models.

Windows laptop? Actually found a new Lenovo in this price range. Core i5, with 8 GB of RAM. Will it do for my needs?

If you get an iPad, you will also need an audiointerface, which will add to the price.

I recommend a notebook with a DAW of your choice plus a good Audio Interface like Focusrite, Audient, RME.

1 Like

In the first post I wrote that I have Arturia Audiofuse which works with an ipad.

I think if you sell your DT you may be able to afford:

• an LCD TV
  • a nintendo switch
  • zelda breath of the wild

you’ll thank me later (:

15 Likes

I wouldn’t get an iPad to use as a DAW.
I have an iPad and a pc desktop and Mac laptop. The iPad is great as a fx unit or sample source but not as a DAW. Using a mouse is much better than a touchscreen with a DAW.

If you don’t need to be portable with your DAW you can build a great and powerful desktop pc for cheap.
This is your best performance to dollar option imho

My Windows DAW stomps my laptop in performance and was around $1400 to build, but that’s Australia, and parts are MUCH cheaper in the USA

3 Likes

Ableton suite if you don’t have it

3 Likes

Reason

1 Like

MPC Live

2 Likes

If you’re on a budget, why not start out with a free DAW? If you get a Mac, you get Garageband with it which is surprisingly capable and which allows you to update your projects to Logic later (which is cheap considering all that’s included).

If you’re on a PC then check out Cakewalk and Reaper which are both pretty damn good.

4 Likes

Windows laptop + ableton live (or a free daw first)

1 Like

Just wanted to add that Bitwig Studio is excellent. I know most people will recommend Live because that has kinda become the default DAW for electronic musicians, but if you’re getting started, Bitwig might make more sense.

Maybe it would help to ask yourself what you want from your DAW. Are you going to work with or trigger loops a lot? Will you mostly be recording linearly? Do you mostly want something to provide backing while you play your keys? Are you planning to do a lot of sound design? Do you want to set up extensive modulation and/or automation? Is it for live use, to record tracks, or just for jamming at home as a hobby?

Ableton intro is a good buy if on a budget. 16 track daw that’s great for starting out.

Lots of daws offer trials so maybe try one for a month at a time then buy the one that suits most.

http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-controller

Really like this DAW, and yes, I play live. I tried bitwig and it fulfills my needs. It’s excellent for live use and also recording.
My question was what to choose from 2 alternatives: 1) ipad with, let’s say, Cubasis or 2) used laptop with bitwig or any other DAW and I needed ipad and laptop models that will be the best bang for the buck, but people keep on suggesting completely different things. Maybe it’s my fault and I should have been more precise.