Upgrading an OT mk1 to mk2?

The OT mk2 looks so gorgeous ! I really love its design !! Since both mk1 and mk2 uses the same OS, and seems to have a similar hardware (?), will there be a way to upgrade a mk1 into a mk2 ? That would make me happy :wink:

1 Like

sure, sell your mk1 and buy a mk2.

16 Likes

Start here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe Elektron will sell faceplate upgrades to current OT users, thus providing 50% of the upgrade right there :smiley:

3 Likes

Why would they do that?

1 Like

Quoting myself here:

“After changing the faceplate, the UI board, the main board for the new inputs and the psu board for the new 12v power supply there’s literally nothing left except the empty bottom shell.”

There’s hardly any point in trying that. The 12V from the new psu I’m sure are also essential for the extra headroom.

2 Likes

The short answer is no
The longer answer is nope

Aspects of this have been discussed in other threads, but in the real world there is no real prospect of any meaningful path for this to happen … i’d be baffled if Elektron went down an upgrade route, it has zero prospect imho because there’s no conceivable reason to acquire that old hardware by subsidising the process

The most pragmatic route and safest, is to sell one and buy the other when the differential works for you

5 Likes

With a few holes where the new buttons go

The faceplate has the full UI board attached to it, plus the display, the digital converter for the UI and so on. If they sell the whole piece it won’t be cheap. It might also require different voltages from the new PSU board.

This forum never ceases to amaze me

7 Likes

Analogue keys and four share the same OS but keys has additional buttons and joystick.

4 Likes

Why on earth would you do this. The new octa is for new buyers.

3 Likes

THIS guy! :smiley:

5 Likes

iirc ableton donated all the 1st gen push controllers from that deal. so, yeah, unlikely in this case

I’ve already decided to upgrade to a mk II trinity as soon as they are available. I wasn’t previously sold on the A4/AK but after trying an A4 for the first time yesterday, it’s a keeper like the OT & AR.

If the mk II models will have a longer lifespan (due to improved screen/controls/buttons), the investment looks sound to me. These are the kind of boxes I want to grow old(er) with.

Obvs YMMV

1 Like

That’ll cost extra

1 Like

Man, to spend extra money on gear that you’ve already got…sounds like love.

Go to her(or “them”. “her” sounds better after years of rom-com drama scenes, but “them” sounds more accurate)

3 Likes

you are the one who asked the stupid question lol!

I don’t know what your referring to. But you must be mistaking me with someone else. My brilliance doesn’t allow me to do anything that could be considered stupid at any time.

Even when I sleep, it is an awe inspiring testament to the raw essence of pure intellect. My snoring is a potential muse for works of great literature that would be remembered for decades upon decades

13 Likes

Ryan5h
Maybe Elektron will sell faceplate upgrades to current OT users, thus providing 50% of the upgrade right there :smiley:

I know you were likely being sarcastic, but still pretty stupid