Tips for parts and pattern sequencing with OT?

Ok

So I am digging into building patterns and sequences with the OT banks, parts and so forth to build a live set. It is tons of fun. I love scenes too in fact was experimenting last night and found some wacky effects.

What things helped you to build a live sequence of patterns and so forth with parts, scenes and banks? I know the arranger is helpful so will look into that.

One thing I found key to setting up octa for a live set was understanding that there are 16 patterns per bank but only 4 parts per bank. This essentially mean that for those 16 patterns you only have 4 sets of flex and static samples - if it were a drum machine you would only have 4 kits available to those 16 patters.

I write four songs per bank and use the spare patterns for variations within the songs - not the only approach but works for me. Hope that makes sense!

4 Likes

I don’t especially have fun with Parts and avoid them. I’d rather use sample locks if needed.
For me for the moment it’s one song per bank.

Some people assign Part 1 to pattern 1-4, Part 2 to pattern 5-9, etc…
Maybe I should do this too, as I don’t use a lot of patterns for a song in general.

Would be better to have 16 Parts per bank indeed.

4 Likes

Interesting - I love how these boxes inspire and facilitate peeps to work in their own way - limitatiosn an all! Yeah thats how I work 1-4, 5-9. This seems to be the easiest approach to keep the a4 an rytm patterns an kits in order but so many ways to do things!
Yeah 16 parts per bank was what I would have expected!

3 Likes

Several press on FN+PART to access 5-16 parts.
Done.

2 Likes

If you don’t like using the 4 parts, why do want 16? :smile:

Yeah I understand myself. :smile:
This limitation annoys me with pattern changes with other gear, and this accentuate the fact I don’t especially like to use them. Not free to use them as you wish with that limitation.

1 Like

Oddly as a looper I often use pattern1/part1, pattern2/part2, pattern3/part3, pattern4/part4, and ignore the rest of the patterns in a bank… As a looper parts are more important than patterns as I can just change the sampled material instead of using another pattern…

Not always though and I definitely make use of the same part across multiple patterns… But when I do I then use pattern5/part1, pattern6/part2, pattern7/part3, pattern8/part4… Etc…
My setup as a live looper sampler is totally different than other folks setups I read on the forum here…

16 parts per bank would certainly be awesome but only if they were freely assignable and you could still use one part for multiple patterns… 256 parts per project would be insane!

3 Likes

Everybody would ask much more sample slots in that case ! :smile:

2 Likes

That’s what 16 per bank would get us, I don’t know if it would help or confuse people more! :rofl:

1 Like

pretty much like the DT. its the one thing that keeps me on my DT more than the OT.

How come not many people want to progress a few patterns with the same “kit” or “part” ?
That’s so integral and useful to me I would stay on an old OS if they changed it… Maybe/probably since I’m all improv jams and not a studio track maker, but even if I was doing studio cuts I’d still want a few patterns per kit/part…
More feely assignable parts I’d love for certain…

1 Like

One song per bank is my recent thinking too.

Do you use arrangements in this type of scenario? I just learned that a single project can have more than one arrangement and am looking forward to trying that out in my workflow.

I really enjoy learning how to tweak parts, banks, and patterns. Been mixing it up with scenes too and love the fader so much fun to take samples, mangle them, plock them, apply scene locks to each track and experiment with wacky effects. Now I want to learn how to use the arranger and practice with the audio editor with slice editing.

The beauty of the OT is you can take a few boring samples and spice them up to infinity. I am now convinced this can replace my laptop and Ableton as a workstation in tiny box.

1 Like

At first, not using parts helped a lot.
I tried the Merlin Guide rule, Part 1 = Pattern 1-4, and so on, I gave up on that real quick after compiling projects with the ol copy/paste routine.
These days I treat Banks like a song, use parts only if absolutely necessary.

With Scenes I kind of built a thing I always use.
For example, Scenes 1-5 & 13-16 always do the same thing, the ones in between do pretty much the same thing across projects, but with slight tweaks/tuning.
This helps my muscle memory, and sort of creates my own OT style.

I love the Arranger for performing.
I make a lot of tracks that segway between hard lined programming, and freestyle jamming.
The Arranger is perfect for that, tapping in and out of it, programming loops, etc.

2 Likes

I use to have one song per bank. I use parts for easy variations in the song (barely use the 8 tracks). That permit improvisations within a song, importing new samples, or neighbourg for adding fx.
Some times, 2 songs in one bank, if they use the same samples (that happen frequently), and there the parts are very helpfull (resampling, parameters modifications).
I use the arranger for my live. The songs always begin and finish in arranger. That makes my transition easiest. Tempo, program changes to other gear with midi, all is automated here. So I never stress on those importants paths. And at any times it procure a kind of reset pattern that can preserve from few difficulties during live. A kind of life buoy.

1 Like

Not enough ! Still experimenting musical things, no live in preparation so I’m quite lazy with this.

But I recommend it, the most interesting for me is locating songs and memorize their tempo. That’s a good start. Sometimes I use Reminders for external gear settings. Start with the right scenes is very interesting too.

I don’t even know why I say this stuff because nobody on here seems to use the OT like I do, maybe that’s why I do say it… I make all my patterns out of recorder buffers and make a lot of flex slice tracks for them and have different fx and use scenes in crazy ways to mix the flex trick tracks and the fx and things, and warp their parameters…

I only do live sampling/looping so my patterns and parts can work differently according to the audio I feed into them… I memorize what they do and just mix and match as I go when performing, all manual change… Sometimes I don’t know exactly what it’s going to sound like but I know how the flexes and fx are set up so I have a basic idea… It’s fun to be sort of surprised with the results as I’m jamming and keeps me entertained and excited…

I do have a couple prepared samples loaded on a few patterns, like an Alan Watts speech… So I jump to that one when I want Alan Watts over my jam and then have pickup machines on most other patterns on the same track so I can switch to other patterns and since there’s no trigs on pickups and I don’t have starts silent activated for same track number on all patterns, I can keep the speech going over different patterns and continue to just choose them based on the sounds of the moment…

I do have to be careful about midi tracks because they’ll be in a certain key, but my flex pitch shifts will always work because they’re relative and not fixed… More stuff too, but that’s the basic idea, mix and match patterns that warp live incoming audio, while being surprised a little myself by the results which then affects how and what I’ll play over it or into it next… Also continually warping the audio and then removing the original loops so the jam just keeps evolving…

3 Likes

Great thoughts @Open_Mike - but I have a question about the above. Don’t the recorder buffers go away when the machine is turned off? I have lost work this way. Or maybe you’re implying that you record everything live from-scratch every time? If so, that’s intense; what other gear are you pairing with the OT in a live scenario?

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts, this helps.