Thoughts about music making n OT

Naww man. To me it very much sounds like you’ve already made up your mind.

Good day

2 Likes

I’ve never understood the idea that certain instruments lead the user to create a certain type of music.

Besides, if we are gonna pigeon hole elektron, everyone knows all their boxes are good for is techno. :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

YI get what you mean - the likes of the MPC (or a guitar) seem to connect more directly with the producer/musician to inject soul.

OT can be more about ‘programming’ and ultimately it is a sequencer amongst its other features.

In a way, that the Digitakt lacks arrangement mode makes it a more likely hands-on performance instrument as you have little option but to engage with it to navigate through an entire piece - to the audience this might appear more like a real musical endeavor where the performer’s live actions actually matter, rather than a heavily pre-programmed ‘just hit play’ performance.

Personally I prefer music with interesting flaws, groove and mojo than micro perfect robot formulaicism. But that is true regardless of the instrument used. There is a lot of awfully boring music produced on every instrument - but somebody somewhere might love it.
Don’t get me started on dubstep, trap, edm :joy:

2 Likes

Tsutek- It doesnt matter what it sounds to you like. I am dying to hear serious music made on ot. Haven’t yet.

Jefones- of course instruments influence the performer

Try the thread High profile OT users?

you might find some of the affirmation you seek there

2 Likes

Thanks mokomo

What do you consider “serious music”. If I recall correctly both Trent Reznor and Alessandro Cortini have used the OT on albums and film scores. That seems pretty serious to me.

1 Like

Would love to hear that. But using sometimg for an effect is still an effect. Was it a main instrument in the composition?

Guys im sorry I shouldn’t have said all of this. At the end its all fun and games. Not sure why i got so serious and abnoxious…
Keep rockin. Ignore this thread…

3 Likes

I think the thread is ok. I just don’t like the fanboy stamp when somebody has a different opinion. That’s a knockout argument

3 Likes

Two things I did recently on the OT. There is some glitch included but I regard them as serious and musical. I’m no dilla though :wink:

3 Likes

I did this track mainly with OT (together with a complete stranger)

http://soundcloud.com/lying-dalai/alpesid

The guy had sent me long Pink Floyd-like guitar soli, and I didn’t know what to do with them. OT helped me quickly turn them into these funky basslines.
The noises in the background come from scratching a door.

OT is so powerful at transforming sound into anything else that you might quickly turn it into glitches and such, but you might very well avoid such territory if it’s not your thing…
But it took me more than a year to really master it.

3 Likes

Forum = A place to discuss ideas and views about a particular topic.
Bigot = A person intolerant towards differing views of others.

Happy octatracking folks!

4 Likes

The original poster has admitted to either being uninformed, a troll, or both. Can we lock this please mods?

2 Likes

ok

1 Like

I don’t think there is another instrument out there that quite matches the OT in terms of “in the eyes of the beholder” - the right person will rock the shit out of it.

Some strange comments though. When I sit down at my upright piano, 99% of the time I just play Van Halen’s Jump. Does that mean the piano should be viewed unfavourably or less seriously? Of course not. People can and will totally own the OT and when they do it’s a sight to behold.

4 Likes

OP, you could always post your own beats and people can advise you where you’re going wrong. Have you got some finished beats from OT? Being unable to do something doesn’t mean it’s impossible, the forums are pretty helpful, if you’re struggling to get satisfactory results. there’s no point going online and declaring your tools useless. If a man can’t build a chair should he go online and declare screwdrivers to be too rigid? And then say nobody could possibly build a chair while people post examples of chairs?

2 Likes

The Octatrack is capable of doing SO MUCH, though. It’s more than just a sampler. It’s also an excellent tool for sound design, a dynamic FX Processor, and can act as a DJ Rig.

Aside from its lack of Velocity- it SHOULD be the tool for hip hop IMO

1 Like

I agree. Velocity sensitive pads are lacking. It’s not the tool for fingerdrummers. I also see that people coming from a mpc miss that the slices can be triggered with a midi controller.
But still. For sample based hip hop like Dilla.
You need to be able to sample - check
An option to chop the sample - check
Unquantized recording/ micro timing - check

Appolo Brown, seriously an awesome producer, does his beats on windows xp with audacity.
OT can do that. No excuses