Tales of Upgrades & Gear Lust

No matter what gear I buy the thing that keeps me able to keep making music is Maschine Studio + Komplete… I need to be able to juggle between ideas/projects and go back and forth with no hassle at all because I can’t stay focused on one thing for long. I love physically playing my external gear but when it comes to making tracks I just can’t get down to business.

Mike,

My response was to the “cross a line” aspect. We can agree to disagree, no big deal.

“I’m not sure what to think in this moment as it seems you would like me to discuss what I said”

No, I don’t have a desire for you to discuss anything further related unless you have something new.

Cheers

Honestly I’m OK with whatever and am not trying to agree or disagree with anybody…
I just thought the subject matter was a little heavy for the forum that’s all, but that’s just my opinion…
I feel like I’m caught in a loop, please don’t worry about anything I’ve said…
I fully support all Elektronauts in all of their endeavors and stand for peace, love, and community…
Feel free to disregard anything I’ve said and discuss whatever you would like…
I wish you the best!

3 Likes

No worries Mike :relaxed:

1 Like

I am getting soon an ISLA Instruments Kordbot, really hoping it will help me getting the most out of my Prophet. Orderd that over a year ago via Kickstarter. http://www.islainstruments.com

I was happy not buy into the MPC Live Hype, allthough it may be a cool machine, but i already had a NI Machine, and it would overlap a lot.

From the spiritual side, yes we come with nothing and we go with nothing, everything you have can be a burden, even knowlege is a burden, maybe you can make more informed decisions, but you have to think more, which takes away enjoyment. I already have a music instrument insurance which gets more expensive with more items, so thats also a factor to keep in mind.

Maybe its better to learn chords instead of relying on a KordBot, but its the digital age, and driving a car is more fun than riding a horse if the distance is long.

At the end its not the tool, its what you do with it.

I haven’t read the book, but I DID start running this week- I might still be in poser status since this was just my third time running- but I am TOTALLY getting how you can feel better now than ever before. I’ve pretty much felt doomed for about 7-8 years, recently turning thirty didn’t help that. But after running today, and trying to convince myself that I actually love it- I’ve been given a better feeling now than alcohol or kratom ever provided me.

It was totally your testimony that finally came to fruition for me. Thanks!

4 Likes

3 Likes

Pretty much- thank GOD I wasn’t bald(not that there’s anything wrong with that- but the transition surely wouldn’t have helped me reclaim that sense of zest)

That is fantastic! Good for you, Ryan. I challenge you to keep at it for 3 or 4 months while progressively adding a few miles to your weekly average. Do that and then sign up for a half marathon race. Work up to running 25-40 miles per week for a year and then consider transitioning to zero drop ultra-minimalist shoes, followed by a modified-keto/keto diet and prepare to have your mind blown. :ecstatic:

1 Like

Duuuuuude! I’d be SO FIT! Like, no belly hanging over my belt buckle while I sit! Which I’m equivicating to living a guilt-free life! I reckon once I get to that point my anxiety-induced procrastination would HAVE to be mostly eliminated, right? To be a guilt-free, happy machine of production? Sounds like the apex!

I’ll TAKE your challenge, good sir!

1 Like

So I recently sold the OT for the second time around. It’s a fantastic bit of kit, but I felt like I don’t have time to plumb its depths. Plus I wanted to have that little bit of financial security. I promised myself I wouldn’t be buying anymore gear for the foreseeable future.

Took less than a week for me to crack and get myself an MPC live…

1 Like

That thing is a standalone/controller hybrid perfect for in the studio or on the go. Immediate power and a music making powerhouse- that just seems like a good financial decision to me-especially if it was on sale or you had a good deal on it

1 Like

So the Live interests me a bit as well. I like the form factor but I’m not sure it would give a ton more functionality over combining the Octatrack and MV-8000. Thoughts?

Yah, the battery power & hybrid capability were big drawcards for me. For it to be quick and easy I don’t want to be stuffing about with setting up power or audio interfaces. Just plug in headphones and go. Based on my initial explorations, the workflow feels perfect.

Also had a spare 128GB SSD packed away - installed nice & easy and I have more space than I know what to do with!

Had to buy full price - no special deals going on over here.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t really know anything about the MV.

Personally I’m a minimalist, so the idea of replacing 2 boxes (plus cables) with one that’s battery powered would be extremely appealing to me. Plus the idea of DAW integration was a big drawcard - have yet to see how it’ll go, but I’m imagining good things. I definitely prefer the mixing/effects environment even if I’m missing plocks.

1 Like

@Ryan - good lad with the running. Been something I’ve tried umpteen times but I just hate it haha. I got into swimming though. Just a mile or so twice a week. Didn’t stop me being overweight but I did start feeling great. I used to joke that swimming washed my troubles away. Lame joke but true. I have a mate who does distance running who spoke of getting into the zone and that’s what I get when swimming…

Broken wrist then getting a puppy has knocked all of that on the head though so now just warming the dog up to long walks when he’s old enough. Looking forward to that though.

Getting outside and mobile helps with wellbeing a great deal. Clears the head which I find is essential when wanting to do music.

3 Likes

Had to give up my little dog just over a year ago (she went to live with a family member) and have already put on weight since, despite no other lifestyle changes.

It’s almost surprising just how much having a dog and walking it regularly keeps the weight down and your spirits up. Enjoy those walks!

1 Like

I’d enjoy the walks more if the little shit did his business on them rather than wait until he got home haha! He’s only 14 weeks old though. I’m sure he’ll “get it” soon!

Sorry to hear about your dog though. Hope she’s happy where she is.

I’m just going through a phase during which I’ve lost a lot of stuff, and boy does it feel liberating. Thankfully, this is by choice and not because I’m forced to. Still it’s mind boggling how much money was sitting there in my basement.

6 Likes

LOL toilet training. Been a while since I’ve done that - don’t miss it one bit.

Had to let mine go after my partner and I split up. She had serious separation anxiety issues (she was a rescue), so leaving her home alone all day would’ve been bloody awful for her. She loves her new home though - Nanna even lets her sleep in the bed!

3 Likes