Tales of Upgrades & Gear Lust

My gear lust usually subsides between the months of November and May.

But seriously, sitting at a desk half the day for work, is no good…“oh, let me see what’s happening on Elektronauts. Oh, Roland released some new Boutique. Oh, when are they coming out? Oh…:”

6 Likes

And the nauts are talking about meditation in a gear lust thread and I didn’t even instigate it, it’s the dawn of a new era… :innocent:

9 Likes

I fully support the idea of meditation. I cannot recommend many books on the subject but I will say “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall would be on my short list. Being chained to a desk as a tech professional, like many here, I was concerned that I needed to make changes and be proactive about my health as I was heading towards 40 years of age. I read this book as I was working up to being able to complete my first 5k run without feeling like hell afterward. 3 months later I ran my first half marathon and haven’t stopped since. I never ran as a youth but now at 42 years of age I can confidently say that I am in better physical shape now than I was when I was 25.

What I never realized, prior to this stage in life, is that running becomes very meditative and spiritual once you get past that whole notion of focusing on how much the activity can suck. I also realized late in life that I am blessed with an unusual ability to recover very quickly. Like the book says, I was born to do this and I only wish I had discovered this earlier in life. I was reminded of something meaningful to me personally on that first half marathon: sometimes it’s worth doing difficult things that force you out of your element; in the process you might find yourself surprised at how well you did in the endeavor. Anyway, this led me to make another difficult decision and make a career change that now has me working for myself.

OK, back to the gear talk now…

11 Likes

/Book GAS/

6 Likes

this…there’s never a dull moment, and so, I’m forced to carve time out. Whether it’s waking up at the crack of dawn or staying up later than usual, I find time to make stuff.

It’s so easy to move into the latest and greatest or constantly tweak your setup, but actually sitting down and making work that you’re proud of is very hard work.

11 Likes

Heres a repost from the last time this topic came up:

Psychology is the key, as always. If you truly are interested in living “the examined life” you may find some very healthy and helpful ways of dealing with it. Sadly this seems to be a minority concern in the overall scheme of society - and by extension, its economics.

When it comes to growing up and out of particular phases, situations and so on, the natural order is rarely outmatched. You can certainly water a plant, give it great fertilizer, place it in the absolute best environment available and so forth, but you cant necessarily tell it to produce a crop overnight. Of course, creating all the best possibile surrounding conditions is far better than just ignoring it and letting it whither away to nothing. And yet doing anything productive in this capacity will certainly require a fair amount of action, attention and concern that is basically against the mainstream current - and thats where all the “interesting times” begin to happen. So, good luck.

4 Likes

Amen.

3 Likes

Bills Hicks: It’s just a ride.

3 Likes

AdamJay,

As a therapist, I’m well versed in mindfulness, it is an ongoing topic in my field. As with most things, there are aspects I like, and some not so much. As a Christian, I’m a follower of Jesus, and consider some Buddhist views beneficial and practical, but ultimately he was a man like us, whereas Jesus is God. My prayer is meditational Jesus is my source of peace, purpose and life. Without Him, I’m hopelessly trying to play a guitar with no strings, or a Rytm with no samples…:slight_smile:

I fully support you and your religious beliefs and wish you all the best, but we may want to leave religion as a personal choice and not go to far into such topics as comparing Jesus to Buddha, I think that’ll be a bit too much for this forum… Some of us can’t even compare synths without creating a stir… :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Open_Mike,

Are you a monitor?

No, and I hope I didn’t offend you, that definitely was not my intention…

No, I wasn’t offended. I totally get your point. I was responding to AdamJay’s suggestions and questions. Sometimes it’s kind of interesting where those conversations can go. A few years ago on a Line 6 thread it went crazy in that direction. Ironically, I tended to challenge the Christian views for not respecting the non-Christian views!

Anyways, peace :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree that it’s difficult to suggest a good book on meditation without simultaneously suggesting a “brand” of meditation. I’ve noticed a trend in the U.S. to try to say, as @AdamJay did, “mindfulness meditation” as a way of bypassing those challenges, seeing it as a general tool that doesn’t necessarily have as many strings attached. That seems really wise to me, so I agree with the above, and encourage some open-minded exploration, probably even some trial and error. Some would say that improvising on Elektron equipment can be a form of meditation or a practice of being mindful, present, in the moment, or awake…and I’d say that some of the same tools that lead to that kind of experiential learning are quite relevant to both.

So with the caveats aside, but really meaning it when I say your conscience (or however you would like to frame it) can be your guide, I’m going to mention two books that are deeply tied to specific practices but that I’ve found useful. I’ve been practicing, and sometimes wrestling with, mindfulness for decades, including a Master’s in Fine Arts degree from the only fully-accredited Buddhist university in the U.S., where meditation was required in order to graduate.

So thought one is a founder of that school, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. He was a reincarnated tulku, but also someone who, for better or worse, was a little nutty and helped to bring Buddhism to America, and maybe even vice versa. His Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior is probably the best-known work, but Cutting through Spiritual Materialism is up there too.

The second thought might be just as controversial because it’s Transcendental Meditation, but the musician, director, and painter David Lynch wrote an unusual kind of self-help book or guide to creativity called Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity. Maybe it’s best to flip through them at a library or bookstore? Neither one strikes me as altogether heavy-handed or preachy, but both are deeply connected with specific practices and even dogmas.

So I guess I’m hemming and hawing because I feel a little weird suggesting what some might even call religious texts here on a synthy discussion board that, at least sometimes, inspires passionate debate–but in context I think there are some generally applicable aspects of creativity that make me willing to say that, based on what’s coming up here in this thread, those two might prove to beneficial, or they might not. Then, to offer something a little different but that I can endorse more fully, Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity isn’t about meditation as much as developing a solitary practice of creativity, but it’s something that has helped lots of people become more attuned to being creative. She can seem a little preachy, but the truth’s that she helped write the movie Taxi Driver, wrote for Rolling Stone, and worked on a hit 80s tv show about crime and drugs in Miami. So her brand is probably trying to get people to buy more of her books, but I doubt anyone could take The Artist’s Way seriously and then conclude that one wasn’t worth the price of admission.

And I will check out the books @konputa and @AdamJay recommended, because those sound great, where the science of meditation and the need for proactive health changes are both things I’m really into right now. All best wishes on all of this!

7 Likes

sometimes i get wet dreams over mfb tanzbär kicks

I just cannot read these words without hearing this song in the back of my head.

1 Like

I just want to say I love that the forum is talking about meditation and spirituality/religion, and clarify that my only point above was that it might cross a line if we start saying one is better than another, but by no means do I want to discourage any conversation… And this of course is just my own opinion anyway… :peace:

9 Likes

I think it is worth also mentioning that mindfulness and meditation are not necessarily about spirituality and religion, since they are practices which anyone regardless of their beliefs can benefit from.

17 Likes

im planning on the a4 mk2 upgrade, for me the individual outs bring something new that I’ve been wishing the mk1 had. I pre-ordered but that doesn’t mean I won’t change my mind (I make lots of bad decisions). Pretty often I would run some of my euro oscillators into the A4, use the filters and get close to happiness, but then I’d wish I could apply some of the OT FX to just one of the voices, etc. A lot of people have said they would rather get 2 A4 MK1s but im trying to keep the footprint as small as possible and I’m already rolling an OT+ Heat. The enhanced distortion is also appealing to me, in my head its probably much different than IRL but interesting nonetheless. CV/Expression inputs might be cool, I’d want to run some euro modulation in but I guess that would depend on the voltage specs (I’ve never used CV/Expression in on any synths so I don’t know how that works).

1 Like

I remember the week Push 2 first came out. I just bought the original Push, 4 months the Push 2 came out. Went to my local shop to sell it and got the new Push 2. I now don’t have it anymore cause I sold it off. Here I am now with my 3 Elektron boxes, bought months before the new MK2 comes out!!!

1 Like