Step Preview?

Imagine you have this complex drum sequence, with 2:6 followed by 4:5. But you’d like to change the sample start, decrease the delay a bit and rough it up with a bit more bitrate.

How to listen to those specific steps without listening the whole track each time you change a parameter ? How to preview a given step ?

5 Likes

i’m erasing the TC for the rehearsal, i still have to listen to the whole pattern, but only once :slight_smile:

but i’m also interested in any “direct preview” solutions, so looking forward to hearing other ways…

The principle of playing the same note via an external keyboard set to the DT Auto midi channel may also work with DT step auditioning

1 Like

I asked for STEP + YES many moons ago to be able to hear the locked step’s sound. This button combo is not used and it totally makes sense for me.

59 Likes

Yes and it’s consistent with the FUNC+YES preview in the sound manager.

I’d love this in the Digitone as well.

10 Likes

This is a really good idea

2 Likes

I’ve sent this idea months ago to the Elektron Think Tank.

3 Likes

I would love this in every other unit as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too

yes this would be very useful

1 Like

It really is quite bizarre that step preview isn’t already implemented.

3 Likes

Just want to add my voice saying I’d love to see the Step+Yes to preview added. Would be a huge timesaver and make the best part of elektron machines (plocks) much easier to dial in.

3 Likes

Hey all!

I am usually getting around the missing slice feature by adjusting the parameter locked start point of the sample yet I found no way how to preview the trigger but start the sequence and let the sequencer play through the pad. This is even more complicated with a longer samples where lack of the zoom feature on the SRC screen makes finding the right spot very tricky…
Is there any way how to preview the parameter one single locked trigger without having to listen the whole pattern and waiting for the trigger to trigger, so I can make any adjustments?

Thanks!

Hey Maara, this is a function a lot of people have requested, but sadly has not been implemented (yet). The most logical workaround i know of is p-locking every step you allready set, so you can always adjust the entire track for the specific step youre working on. If all the steps are similar and you want to adjust just a single step, p-lock all the ‘normal’ trigs and adjust the whole track

If you have an external midi device you can try holding down the trig and sending the appropriate midi note. Works on analogs, might change your velocity on that step though…

1 Like

+1 for the Step+YES = Preview step

I make hiphop beats on the DT and use P-Lock for sample start to “chop” my samples.

The way i get around this, if i really dont want to listen to the entire sequence, is in :o: i FUNC+> or < to move the step to the start of the loop.
This works for me because the change in the sample is often towards the end of the second or the fourth bar, so it isnt for to far to move for me.

8 Likes

Hadn’t thought of that, at least it’s bit faster than listening to the whole thing. But still an unnecessary hassle, step preview needs to be added!

1 Like

Same here.
I thought I’d missed it in the manual. Essential function. Can’t believe it’s not possible.

4 Likes

What I’ve done is just work with the first trig on the first page, and then copy and paste it when it’s right. Not optimal, but it works.

3 Likes

+1 to this too, wasn’t something I ever considered until it was mentioned - but sounds like a great feature.

2 Likes