Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

I just had a crazy notion

How would y’all feel if they released OB next week, but opt to charge for it again :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you TRYING to make me angry?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In all honesty I would probably do it, grumbling all the way, but I’d still do it…

1 Like

That would go down well :loopy:

1 Like

Shut up!.. :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Your gonna instigate a riot… :grin:

1 Like

@thelightshineth @psyclone001 @Open_Mike

Okay, but how surprised would you be?

And how would you feel if the paid Overbridge license was non-transferable? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Honestly I wouldn’t care and it wouldn’t affect my music whatsoever because I don’t use overbridge…
I already enjoy my OT and AR immensely and my relationship with them doesn’t change due to anything regarding Elektron’s current strategy or business plans or anything… My enjoying them is purely based on what they have done for me and continue to do already, nothing’s going to change that…
I’d just have a terrible time reading and being part of the forum… :wink:

3 Likes

I would like to see it, as I don’t own the affected units, and the shitstorm that would result would be extremely amusing

1 Like

I have working overbridge on my AR and it works pretty well and stable… The idea of overbridge was one of the determining factors in me getting an AR. I was using Apple Mainstage at the time and the integration sounded great. Good fortune had an OT come my way without really knowing what I was getting into. Upon learning the OT and AR I came to realize with the OT I don’t even need a computer.

Still I was pretty excited about Overbridge. My experience has gone like this however. Get excited about Overbridge, load it up in Logic, mess with it a bunch and it’s cool, but then I only make it a week or two and start thinking “why am I messing about with the computer still?” For what I’m up to it just over complicates things and requires more gear and connections. My musical needs can all be accomplished with the instruments and hardware I own, and it’s easier and more focused to utilize them directly…

A few more times in the last few years I’ll get the Overbrigde itch and think it sounds exciting again. Same thing happens and I only make it a week or two. I’ve done this several times now so I’ve recognized that for me personally it’s interesting and somewhat exciting, but for my particular situation it just seems it’s a fun distraction. I ocassionally incorporate my computer still for soft synths and fx, but I don’t bother with OB because it’s easier for me to use the hardware.

For me I’m glad OB exists because it tipped me to use Elektrons, which lead me to realize I don’t need it. If it never existed I might not have gone this way so I strangely appreciate it…

5 Likes

My insistence for OB comes from a song I made back in early-2015- for an EP I later released(4 tracks made from Elektrons and one track mostly composed in Maschine and arranged in Logic)- and that track, I accidentally stumbled into “the zone”. I was compelled to dive deeper into cleaning up the sound more than ever before.

I exported every individual track(individual drums and everything) and spent a good while finding out what each thing was and where it went. And then I was drawn towards improvement- on an emotional level. I controlled the EQ with a greater purpose than I had ever done before. Changed certain aspects of the layout whimsically. And it was all very fulfilling, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Granted, I haven’t really felt like that since then. But I want to return to that mindset and methodology permanently at some point. It would be so much better than, after recording, finding little errors and trying to do EQ surgery on the audio file recorded from that instrument.

To each their own.

On the subject of mainstage- I don’t suppose that could be a means of using Apple’s instruments in other DAWs, could it? I’m loving Logics Mellotron instrument currently, and I’d love to be able to use it in Bitwig…

2 Likes

About Mainstage, it comes with all of logics plugins, softsynths, effects, midi fx, and even has a few things that logic doesn’t have like a dedicated looper plugin. It’s logic built for live use and it’s an extraordinary program that allows you to make very custom software/midi rigs with your own screens you can build and add custom controls. You make “patches” out of logic plugins and there’s a great way of organizing them in a tier structure. Every patch you make is loaded in ram and you can seemlessly switch between basically what looks like a bunch of logic mixers and even have custom midi control of each patch that switches instaneously. You even get control over how long the previous patches tales last and all sorts of stuff, it’s super flexible. It’s kind of a not so well known highly advanced and capable super program for dirt cheap…
I think it’s 29.99 and I would be shocked to find anything near as good or powerful for that price, or even multiple times that price, I think it’s by far the best software deal in existence…

Buuuuttttt, to answer your question at first I was going to say no, your locked into using them in MainStage, but on second though I realize I don’t know. It comes with all the plugins as audio units and what I don’t know is if other DAWs can use audio units instead of vst… :thinking:

The price is stupid, they could charge hundreds for alchemy alone, and there’s worlds more stuff you get and lots of things you get to do with the stuff… :slight_smile:

Alchemy comes as an AU?

I have LPX and Alchemy, and while Ableton Live uses AudioUnit plugins, there is no .component file for any of the Logic plugins…

I don’t think they come as AU… but I could be wrong! (And if I am, MainStage would be a MUCH better buy than Logic for me personally!)

2 Likes

Oh right maybe it’s referred to as a “software instrument” and the audio units are for effects… It’s been awhile for me…
I have been under the impression you can’t use the logic/Mainstage stuff in other programs but I just realized I’m not really sure if that’s still the case…

So from what your saying maybe audio units do work in other programs, but probably not the “software instruments”…

AU as a plugin format can be used in Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Logic, Reaper, Adobe Audition, etc etc. It’s like the Apple native plugin format. I find they are more stable than VST, and when I have the option, I use AU in Live or Audition instead of VST. Maybe 3rd party plugins (fx or instruments) that you buy have option in the installer to install VST/AU/RTAS/AAX (depending on the age, it might have RTAS or AAX for ProTools). As long as you have Ableton pointing to where your AU folder is (in addition to VST), it will work with them.

This includes FX plugins (compressors, delay, etc etc).

1 Like

I get the intention behind why you can’t use a DAWs software instruments as plugins- I get it.

It just seems petty to me all the same.

I prefer the Bitwig workflow- but I like the Logic Mellotron, I really like Abletons Tension.

And maybe others that have eluded me currently.

Korg, with their Gadget for Desktop, are the only forward thinking company in regards to this topic.

Again, it’s petty

You could always experiment with rewire, although MainStage has to be master…
Or you could hack it with soundflower or something…
Might be too annoying of a setup though, maybe not for some people for $30…

1 Like

Yeah- I’m aware of that- I just don’t trust it. What if some notification pops up when I’m using sound flower?

I think I’ll just get a full fledged mellotron plug in down the line. And for tension, I’ll just use NI Prism(probably a more broad scope than Tension anyway)

I’m still saying- it’s petty :smiley:

Like, alchemy- I don’t think you can get it legally outside of Logic anymore

No you can’t. I remember getting that e-mail saying I had a couple of months to back up my stuff from Camel Audio. And of course I forgot :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing today about Overbridge ? :grin:

8 Likes

The little blue dot said otherwise. Thanks.

Main stage is also where Apple hid the Redmatica Auto-Sampler they bought (which is an awesome tool).

1 Like