Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

Had an estate agent in valuing my flat this week. My minilogue was out on the dinner table waiting to be photographed as I am about to sell it. Turns out the guy is into his music production so we got to chatting and once we ended up in my study he saw my Digitakt and commented “I don’t really know much about Elektron products, but I hear the integration between Ableton, Overbridge and the Digitakt is great”. I corrected his understanding of the situation. Just another story of Elektron overselling/hyping OB.

I don’t care anymore though, as Transfer 1.1 gives me what I wanted. It was a sensible move by Elektron to get that done, although and as ever, the communication around that could have been a lot better. It does make me worry about OB though. Elektron are behaving in manner that makes me think they are really struggling with it.

2 Likes

What makes the experience with delays and issues so unpleasant is not so much that issues and delays happen. It is made much worse by a defensive approach, often mirrored here in the forum, by self-acclaimed Elektron supporters and people with pseudo-sherriff-attitude, who

• try to deny everything possible about Overbridge: if it is even needed, if it has been part of advertised buy, if Elekron’s delay communication has been a slap into their customers’ faces and not the greates way of communicating etc.
  • just try to deny the urgent necessity of backups, until at least basic sample backup funtionality thankfully has been delivered now. Why talk before, as if this were not really needed? I mean, even seriously having to discuss this absolute must in such a forum has been weird to the max from my view
  • try to deny that some basic functionality like sending midi note data through midi out is kind of an expected standard in nowadays drum boxes. One can say: sorry, we don’t have it for some reasons. But talk as if all is well as it is?
    and so on.

I think the atmosphere looking at Elektron and in this forum could be a lot better and concentrate more on solutions instead of problems, if these constant efforts of denial and playing down legitimate user interests would make place for a more open discussion welcoming criticism, as long as it does not become insulting.

Introducing Overbridge has been essential to get a much broader user base beyond those, who just want a hardware live tool. It should surprise nobody, that this broader user base will not want to seriously discuss basics, which they need and want in their workflow, and expect from a working Overbridge solution. You can ignore them, if you want to drive them away after a short Elektron experience. But if they are taken serious, tone and content of dealing with them has to change significantly IMO!

2 Likes

This thread has become an exercise in language. How many different ways can an individual restate the same thing?
1k replies, is there really anything left to say until we get another update?

7 Likes

Still, you obviously keep on reading here.
Would it comfort you, if it were closed?

Wasn’t directed at you but I figured you would have a defensive reply. Why do I keep reading? Cause I can. Just like you can continue complaining.

It’s all fine with me: go on :slight_smile:

Had this been the case, many users wouldn’t have given the DT a second look - would have bought something else first - myself included. I’m also reminded of the old adage - “A bird in hand is worth two in the bush”

yeah, I’d probably own a Push 2 tbh.

I for one wouldn’t have even considered the DT. I would’ve gone for a used OT Mki instead. The only reason I purchased DT was because OB was to be released in February so I figured I’d only have to wait a month for it. Then it never came. I like the DT and all, but I definitely could’ve gotten something better for the money had I known OB was essentially vaporware as far as we know now. Even if they just gave a picture of what the new OB looked like, or a small teaser trailer, it would validate it much more. Can’t help but regret not getting the OT though. I definitely felt duped.

3 Likes

The thing is- it might actually be both

4 Likes

they might well have sold more OTs though. I do think there’s still a huge market for DT anyway, It’s the first thing from elektron in the more affordable price range and there’s always new people getting into production looking to buy their first box. I think they’d still have crushed the market with all the people who want a new elektron box but couldn’t justify spending a grand on one. Personally I reckon they did more damage to company rep than it was worth, they kind of shafted a lot of new customers. Of course I can’t really say what would have happened if it were another way, it’s just my opinion

Agreed, but hindsight is 20/20 - Elektron believed in their heart-of-hearts that OB would be ready by end of 2017. I think this is true. They just bit off more than they could chew.

sorry for all the cliche phrases lmao

3 Likes

Haha well as they say a watched kettle never boils and there’s no use crying over spilt milk so fuck it

3 Likes

The thing that keeps bringing me back here is the fact that everyone keeps talking about it! Whenever I see that little blue “new posts” icon, I get all excited, like… could this be the day??? Oh, nope… maybe tomorrow… It’s like Groundhog’s Day… or Edge of Tomorrow…

2 Likes

7 Likes

I can save you the trouble of checking back-

They’ll open a new topic and you’ll see it on ever social media site

(The back of my mind pops that thought up too :smiley: )

2 Likes

See, it just happened again!

1 Like

As mentioned, wait for the News announcement and in the meantime, you can turn that blue icon off:

5 Likes

Hehe, I just meant it as a joke :smiley: Besides, I like the blue icons. It’s like playing Whack-a-Mole.

1 Like

Samezies