Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

I‘m not expecting any additional revolutionary stuff, hopefully we just get what was promissed in well working condition. Ok, more filter types and maybe one or two more effects would be great!
After yesterday i‘m sure there‘s no operating power left for new feauteres!
If RAM is full by too many samples you get audio dropouts and delaying knob movements … if i would add OB now i‘m sure nothing‘s in sync or you simply can‘t work …

This. OB is a true “killer feature” - whether you use it or not is up to you. But it’s not debatable. If it works as advertised, OB would represent a massive achievement in hardware/software connectivity. For those of us who run hybrid setups, with big MIDI rigs, reading about OB and it’s promised capabilities likely blew your minds. I was this close to buying an MPC Live. I had my mind made up essentially - but then I read about OB and what it would bring to the DT. So I got in line and pre-ordered a DT. That was almost a year ago. Could I always jump ship and and get the Live? Sure. But whatever. They say it’s coming out. So I’ll continue to assume it is until the day they say it’s not. Which wouldn’t surprise me.

The funny thing is, when I ordered, I thought OB was pretty much done, an imminent release. It wasn’t until I discovered this forum that I realized…hmmm maybe this is vaporware. And that’s what bugs me about the whole thing - the lack of transparency for they typical user, who doesn’t bother geeking out on forums.

4 Likes

Yes. And then everyone yells at Elektron “why do you waste time making soundpacks when you should work on Overbridge!”

4 Likes

Or simply not having +drive left for …

This exactly. So many people spend so much of their creative energy in frustration because they thought they had the puzzle piece to finish their setup, until they find out they don’t…yet. As days go by, anxiety and frustration escalates.

2 Likes

Just give me Overbridge for the Octatrack (which I know will never happen) and in the box sequencing so my Trinity could be happy together!! :smile:

I can imagine an upcoming deja vu in fall:

Sorry guys, we had to delay OB further, because, you know, there is this new shiny little OB-enabled box we were secretly working on which needs to be pushed out …

And tell you what: it will sell like sliced bread regardless all its bugs and regardless the bad history.

One thing worth noting too, is that a year of promised overbridge has caused a huge influx of users, who normally wouldn’t bother but come for updates and as a result of their frustration, and ours, it has contributed to negativity on this board.

2 Likes

as far as I know this board has been a human rampage since the beginning of mankind typing in words.
l y all

1 Like

The wonder bread factory in the town I grew up in closed down in recent years due to the fact that sliced bread wasn’t selling like it used to…

I think the main thing is that all registered users receive the Toblerones we were promised.

7 Likes

It’s not vaporware, have been using it with mk1s for a while now.

3 Likes

That’s also not the OB we’re looking for. For all we know they still haven’t even started OB for the Digi’s and MKII boxes. The version we’re not waiting for could very well be vaporware for all we know.

It will be based on the same platform, just optimised / extended for the new boxes.

Ha
Spot on!
That is the language of funny.

I realize I’m treading thin ice here but just to provide some balance in the positive direction, @Ess has been pretty vocal about it definitely being in the works and has offered, to my mind at least, a good bit of explanation of what has played part in the setbacks.

Of course you never know in the long run what a company will decide to do, but I think it’s fairly safe to assume that it at least IS coming at some point, unless something catastrophic were to happen on a “higher up management” level or if they run into some serious programming barriers and conclude that it just isn’t feasible and have to make “that” announcement.

Not trying to be an Elektron apologist/fanboy either, when I got my Digitakt I was very excited about OB and pretty disappointed by the setbacks, but let’s not paint too much of a negative picture either!

3 Likes

Cuts from Simon’s posts from yesterday regarding OB:

3 Likes

Hindsight…

I bought my digitakt last December SECOND HAND…i asked the owner why he was selling…?

“I dont need it”…he said…Abelton does everything i need…he said…

I asked if he thought that it would have been better with overbridge…he lost eye contact. Looked off to the horizon and said “na” i said its comming in the next few weeks you know before the end of the year…he looked me straight in the eye. Raised one eyebrow and the corner of his mouth shrugged up then down like the shoulders of someone who had resigned themselves to an unwanted fait. “That will be awesome” he forced. No longer able to hide his annoyances at my questioning i heard the kiss of his teeth…“you want it or not”?

Ha…he was over it…in hindsight he had reached saturation point of annoyance and was moving on. I seen him in the Supermarket in the new year. We shook hands and he asked how it was going…i told him that overbridge was now comming in Feb. He looked me in the eye raised one eyebrow and said “that will be awesome”…:rofl:

The cool thing for me is that if this continues i will be able to buy 10 digitakts for the price of 5…as you all dump them on the market second hand for a fraction of the cost new…i dont care about overbridge… what a time…!

6 Likes

For me it’s not about the software control, it’s the audio interface. Yes, the VST/AU/Standalone software will make my life easier, but because I have a hybrid setup, as many do, it’s way simpler to stream the individual tracks and then treat them in the same way I would treat other tracks in the mix. Make everything sound like a properly mixed cohesive unit.

1 Like

mmw the complaining wont be over once OB is out. It’ll probably go up a notch. People will disappointed it doesn’t do x or y or that x feature didn’t drop etc etc. I’m curious as to whether the DT OB will contain any sample management or recall / backup functionality, or if this is something specific to an update to the transfer app. either way im always curious as to whether both will drop at the same time, as ‘backup’ is not something that’s been intrinsic to the OB suite previously. Will 2.0 be different? I’m pretty keen to find out and look forward to it when it’s released

2 Likes