Sporadic static noise when recording Elektron gear over USB

I have this problem where I get sporadic static noise on my recordings that I do over USB to my Macbook laptop (not using Overbridge; only the stereo audio output). I can’t hear it through my speakers that are connected through the main outputs, only on the USB recording in my DAW afterwards.

You can here examples of it at 3:30 here:

…and at 2:25 here:

In both those cases, audio was captured from the Analog Heat +FX, but I also experienced it while recording this video, using only the Digitone (I didn’t include that take, so you can’t hear it in the video below, but you can see the setup I’m using):

First time I heard it was when I had a cat in my lap (in the first video), so I thought it was an extreme case of static electricity, but as you can see, I’m experiencing it while using other setups as well where nothing really changes in my environment. It seems totally random too me.

In all of these cases, I’ve had some kind of light show going on. Could that be a factor? Any other tips or ideas?

have you tried recording without using the USB? home electricity properly grounded? checked your clothes too?

Well, I don’t hear the static from my speakers, so I’m pretty sure there would be no problem if I recorded the output using audio cables instead (which is less convenient for me, so I’m trying to avoid it).

I’m no electrician, so I barely understand what I need to do with regard to the power situation. And what should I check regarding my clothes? :upside_down_face: