Slice grid order

Hi all
Noob question. Just looking for some clarification on unexpected behaviour in slice mode.

Say if I have a audio file with 2 slices in it and I have trigs that trigger slice 1 and slice 2 at different points in the sequence, what I noticed seems to happen is if I move the start time of s1 past s2 then s2 will be triggered by s1. Is this a bug or or do slices want to be in sequence?

Having trouble following your description… :thinking:

Do both of your trigs have the slices locked to them? Meaning you held a trig down and selected slice 1, and held the other one down and selected slice 2?

To me it sounds like you put a trig down for slice 1 without locking it, and a locked trig for slice 2.
If that’s the case the slice 2 trig will always play slice 2 because it is locked, but your other trig that you want to play slice 1 will play whatever the current slice(start) parameter is set at…
If this is it you just need to lock slice 1 on the other trig…

Thanks for the reply yep, Trig 1 was not locked and trig 2 was locked. I’ll try locking both!:smile:

1 Like

While locking trig number 1 explains some of that behaviour,
I have noticed fairly often using the flex machines slicing that even if all trigs are locked and am moving around the slices around or switching viewing from slice for example 2-3 or switching a page then it will playback inexplicable different all of a sudden. Not really sure what is causing this but wondering if anyone knows the cause and strategies to avoid this?

Not sure to understand your problem.
In Audio Editor, slice numbers depends on their time position, not the order of creation.

If you move slice 2 after slice 3, it will become slice 3, and slice 3 will become slice 2.

I’ve never noticed any weird behavior with slices once plocked, if you don’t use lfo or crossfader on start.

1 Like

Maybee that’s what happening if I change the # value of slices by changing their position chronologically, perhaps it doesn’t make the change until you change a screen.

?

Often I noticed the slice change all of a sudden when I change a screen. So maybee the re order isn’t instant. Make sense?

Just checked. Yes indeed, but also if you change slice selection with arrows. So you’re right, number changes don’t take effect immediately if you change slice order.

1 Like