Setup question

So after swearing I’d never get anything beyond my Op-1, I find myself adding a Minilogue, a couple of effects pedals, a small mixer and a digitakt on order.
If I get a Kenton USB host, can I sync by running Midi out from DT to Kenton, midi out from Kenton to Minilogue and USB from Kenton to OP-1?

The Kenton DIN in goes to the USB out
The USB in goes to the Kenton DIN out
so it depends on what the OP1 does as to whether you’ll have clock/transport going to its out (see also here)

Normally you would use a Thru, so if the OP1 was master you could pass the clock from DT to Korg via Thru, but then you may lose the ability to use the DT to seq things by MIDI (if you are only syncing then it may be okay)

something else as suggested above may offer more flexibility

other threads to continue your research here and here

you should be able to drive DT from OP1(inc a suitable host) and take DT DIN out to Korg (if you enable DT clock/transport in/out) this will enable you to have clock and sequencing without using a Thru port to connect the three devices

best to do a bit of research/planning before you spend any more

2 Likes

Thanks! After reading it sounds like the Kenton might not work. Was hoping for something simple but looks like I will have to go with the more expensive iconnect.

or a number of much cheaper options linked somewhere in the search results i included

there are more and more bespoke USB midi host options popping up, so search the web

e.g. raspberry Pi can be put in to action if budget is tight (see other discussions on here / elsewhere)

or for patching/scripting fun i picked up an axoloti which can do hosting and provides MIDI din i/o along with a soft modular arrangement with stereo in out

if the Kenton config i suggested does not work out you’d best be sure that another option does exactly what you need from it - i don’t know the iconnect, but you ought to check it does the soft thru you need and that it operates in a midi patch bay style

it sounds like it could be good and it gets recommendations, but is it doing what you need (beyond it doing more than you need in other regards)

wouldn’t a simple midi thru box and a cheap usb host do the trick

DT > MIDI Thru

MIDI Thru 1 > USB host DIN In
&
USB HOST to OP1

MIDI Thru 2 > Korg

you can get 2x2 MIDI merges and 1x2 Thru boxes to solve all sorts of midi plumbing scenarios, no need to get fancy solutions if the problem is simple

so Kenton and a Thru box is still one option, but you can pick up a proper USB MIDI host for as fraction of the Kenton cost, somebody linked to a new one on here recently (not the one from cerebel or mode machines) and i don’t think it was even this one, there are lots, the last one i recall someone posting was less than a third of Kenton

Do the research, plan ahead too !

edit: even maker type solutions like this may be worth researching, one linked there is about 1/4 price - there will be solutions listed at operator one too

1 Like