Sending chords via midi in DAW to poly mode MnM?

Hi folks

I recently got my MnM and MD hooked up to play nice with my DAW, but apparently the MnM doesn’t like MIDI when in poly mode. I can send it via the first six channels that correspond with the first six tracks, and that’s fine, but once in poly mode I don’t know what to do. The manual doesn’t have any info on this either! I’ve gone through all 16 midi outputs in the DAW and nothing does it. Any ideas?

Also for some reason midi notes are sending pattern change information to my MD. Any clues as to how to turn this off?

In poly mode whichever midi track corresponds to track you are using for polymode is the midi channel you need to be sending on.

1 Like

I’ll try it with track five again (the one I had in poly mode) and midi channel five, but I’m pretty sure I went through every single channel and got nothing.

Sending it on the “auto” channel should work. If you’re still not getting anything from it then keep sending on auto channel and take it out of poly mode, and test it with different tracks active. If that doesn’t work there’s a midi issue somewhere, maybe in the MM settings? Any conflict between the midi channels on the MM and MD?

The issue you’re having with notes triggering stuff on the MD can be resolved in the global settings > CONTROL > MAP EDITOR.

1 Like

yah, i often stick to using the auto channel especially if you’re using polymode and you only have one track to use.

if not that route, you’ll need to go into the midi control settings and set the channels for your tracks (base and how many tracks you want to control).

If auto channel doesn’t work from the DAW, try playing from a standalone midi keyboard if you have one. If that works, the issue is with the DAW, if it doesn’t then the issue is with the MM settings somewhere.

Hmm I’m totally new to sending MIDI to my external devices from my DAW. I’ve never done it before. I’m using Studio One and have a MIDI instrument track loaded up and didn’t see a way to set it to “auto channel”. I had to pick from channels 1 to 16. But I’ll check again when I’m home and have it loaded up.

The auto channel is a midi channel that the mnm will respond to no matter what track you are on. It’s changed through the midi settings on the monomachine. Once you set the midi auto channel in the monomacine then change the daw setting to send to that channel.

1 Like