Screen upgrade?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Red eye

now that I can get into

3 Likes

cool! So that’s the guy to contact re power consumption etc…
guess it’s the same type of LCD tho?

1 Like

I’m waiting on a response from the seller re: display type

1 Like

Wait untill the mk2’s are out and hope the new OLEDs fit in the mk1…

2 Likes

I got display from that ebay seller…

You can find some pictures here:

it is not OLED screen, it is just negative LCD… colour of background is dark blue, not black…

Hey @void, did you make any progress with this?
Definitely interested in an OLED for my A4/RYTM.

What about this one?

Very limited technical info on the website though. Will ask them if they have a product data sheet.

Edit: sorry @avantronica, hadn’t noticed you’d posted the same link.

2 Likes

Has anyone successfully installed one of these in a RYTM/A4?

I requested a data sheet, but they never sent me one.
Otherwise I have been completely unable to find another 122x32 OLED screen.
128x32 OLED - no problem, but not 122x32.

It depends on the controller, power requirements, and footprint of the display. It should be possible if these variables match.

1 Like

I think this screen from reveltronics actually isnt 122 pixels wide. I think its the same screen as this - http://www.china-lcdmodules.com/128x32-oled-display.html and this https://www.displaymodule.com/products/dm-oled22-612

Why do you think that?

the LCD screens for the same computer are 122x32
is there a reason you think it isn’t as advertised?

A while back, I found the brand of display module that’s used in the Analog Four. (link below) It matches the one in the excellent teardown by Pete Brown (aka psychlist). It’s probably safe to assume it’s the same display in the Rytm. Maybe the specs might help the search for a matching OLED? I was never able to find one. The size is one thing, matching interface protocol might be a challenge? Out of my league here, but it seems so do-able. There are a lot of folks doing OLED upgrades for other old synths…

Here’s the original display module used in the A4, and likely the Rytm. Maybe someone with some deeper tech knowledge could comment on swap-ability with OLEDs…?

http://www.winstar.com.tw/products/graphic-lcd-display-module/122x32-graphic.html

Winstar 122x32 Graphic LCD Display Module

Model No. WG12232A

►Available for internal oscillation (A Type), External oscillation (C Type) 2KHz
►Built-in controller Avant (SBN1661G) or equivalent
►1/32 duty cycle
►Negative voltage optional for +3V power supply
►Chinese version: WG12232L
►Interface: 6800

4 Likes

finally got around to looking at the technical drawings and it wouldn’t be a drop-in replacement (if possible at all). different screen dimensions, footprint, header position…

2 Likes

Yeah. I’d definitely spotted the header position issues - centred on the reveltronics screen, but offset on the A4 teardown (presumably the same for the RYTM?).

1 Like

A higher resolution screen so we can have detailed fonts and graphics (and less abbreviations) like the screen in Push2 would be awesome … but this would require more than just swapping the display.

Header offset is not a big deal, you just have to use a ribbon cable instead of pins. The mounting holes are in different positions, so you’d need to make some sort of adapter plate in order to use the existing standoff holes.

Hi Guys, I’m from REVELTRONICS and going to help you. The LCD 122x32 and OLED 122x32 we are using for UTCOMP-3 are two different displays with different connections. OLED for UTCOMP has adapter on the bottom so it fits with 1 to 1 with LCD connections and it has +5V to 3.3V signal converters on the board (so it tollerates 5V supply and signals as LCD). Unfortunatelly, OLED uses different procedures for display control in firmware, because it has different driver on the board (SSD1305 vs. SED1520) so it will NOT work as direct replacement in your devices (our device detect connected display type so it can control both). As I know there is no still direct OLED replacement on the market for LCD 122x32…

12 Likes

Thanks for the info. Dissapointing, but it’s great to get feedback from an expert.