Rytm Sample quality

I really want to love the Rytm but I can’t get a nice sound with samples, they always seem to lose punch and sound dull compared to the same sample in the Octatrack, maybe it’s because it’s mono. I’m not that enamoured with the analog engines either, kind of regretting sellling my MD to fund it.
Any tips for getting a cleaner sound with samples? It all just sounds a bit dull and muddy.
Gone back to using the OT for drums now but really don’t want to sell the Rytm. It’s a mark 1 and I bought it just before the MK2 came out so I’d lose a lot of money if I sold it!
Please give me some way of loving it lol
Thanks

1 Like

Hey Eric,
I just compared the OT output A/B to the same sample on the AR… obviously, they sound a nuance different (baaaarely noticable), but in no way dull or muddy.
Check if you have the filters on the samples.
Cheers.

1 Like
  • drive in the amp-section
  • filter-typ: peak or HP for drum-body with resonance, LP12/24 with resonance for more sharpness in the highs
  • play with the filter-envelope
  • play with one-shot-half-LFO on: amp, drive

should help a bit,
in my opinion the filter is never fully open, so you loose information

2 Likes

except one runs at 44.1kHz and the other at 48kHz !

most folk are awed by the life of the sound of samples through the AR and there are many filter modes which don’t get in the way when set neutrally

2 Likes

@avantronica
don’t you like mud

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m talking about, seems like it’s always filtering away the tops!

ok, rabbit ear.
nyquist theoreme sais samplerate/2 is the audible Fmax (I knew oneday I can use this knowledge…) . So when I was a newborn, I could have heard the difference. But with 20 Years of Techno on the clock, it’s ok to hear a difference at all i suppose :metal:

cheers :wink:

1 Like

Maybe I need the samples converted properly first. I’ve been using sds drop and rely on the Rytm to covert them.

try a highpass then.

1 Like

i’m referencing the fact that a higher pitched sound from the AR may sound less impressive (if the sample was 44.1 and taken from the OT, especially if an actual-stereo sample lost its right channel too)

My method was upping a 44.1kHz mono sweep 20-20, noise and some cymbals.
what do you mean with higher pitched sample? @avantronica maybe I’m not getitng it due to english not being my mother’s language.

i’m maybe more likely to add noise and use a low-pass, so maybe i’m not one for bothering about these finer points - the AR feels/sounds good and inspires, that’s all i care about - gotta keep it below the perpetual tinnitus drone to make it audible for me anyway :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, I have an OT and Rytm and I love the way the Rytm samples sound…
Maybe start by clearing the filter page and making sure there’s no negative envelope to make sure all the highs are coming through, and yeah, maybe boost resonance…

Maybe it’s those particular samples? If they lost somemstero info maybe? :thinking:

1 Like

For maximum sample ”transparency”:

• dont go above 100 on the samp level, in fact keep all amp stages below 100 to be sure you’re not introducing extra nonlinearity
  • keep bitcrush and overdive at zero
  • compressor and master distortion should be off
  • use peaking filter with 0 reso
  • use a high-quality sample converter like SOX to author your samples to the rytm native sample format in order to prevent the builtin format conversion from kicking in
6 Likes

the sample rate of the AR is 48k, so a 44.1k sample will play a few % faster than it did (therefore higher)

edit: AR does do rate conversion, whilst I clearly don’t use it, I evidently once knew it did

that’s right, different kind of noise as underlying sound makes it more interresting
but i like it also sometimes (not always) when the high frequencies are cut of like on a DJ-mixer but with a bit resonance

sounds boring to me

but with the s-amp level you are right

anyway, it’s similar with the OT: the gain-staging problem

now I got you. Ok, so the AR does not do a rate conversion?
Good to know so I have to batch-convert first. My plan for the next month was to fill my AR witrh some samples. Nearly only used the synths by now.
Why isn’t this adressed in the manual?

1 Like

Well I’m gonna have a go with some of the tips from you guys, I’m going to look into a sample converter first and have a serious play with the filters etc. I really want to get my love back for this box!

because it’s common knowledge that a different sample rate will sound different, basically !