Replacing A4 with AK for using in a Band?

I have a new band for half a year and I was using only my A4 as instrument with a midi keyboard.
It’s works good, but I always thought for this scenario the AK might be a better solution.
Since the AK seems to be so cheap right now I consider replacing the A4.
I loved the A4 for its size for making tracks on the couch etc, but I have the Digi machines for that purpose as well.
The A4 is ultra portable in a bagpack, but then there is the midi keybard as well, so I have to take two things.
How portable do you feel the AK is? For gigs etc.
The joystick seems like a killer performance feature in a band scenario… Any other advantages?

Thanks.

Do it do it! The joystick is really good for sure, as is the aftertouch. Plus fewer cables, quicker setup, one unit is easier to put on a stand, it’s built incredibly well etc.

Portability is slightly tricky - a lack of availability of an official carry bag, means buying a third party one - and they can be bulky. There’s a massive thread somewhere on here though.

I bought a UDG to carry it in - it’s certainly big and bulky, buuuut, also fits laptop, loads of cables, headphones etc etc, whilst being super padded and hyper protective, with comfy backpack straps.

I gig once if not twice a week with my AK / Sub Phatty setup. It’s pretty killer! Trying to add a midi expression pedal this weekend for further ease of use (I wish I had more hands!) … Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

It might be easier to transport a midi keyboard and an A4 than the AK.

Also, if your Midi keyboard(most likely the largest of the two items) gets damaged it’s easily replaceable and you can still make music with the A4. I believe all of the extra functionality of the AK is accessible through midi

1 Like

Also, don’t replace it- add to it. There are A LOT of really sad A4 sellers over here in the states. I’ve been seeing auctions for A4 mk1s go for $400-500 USD. There’s not a good reason to sell an A4 right now, it seems

1 Like

I replaced my A4 with an AK a few months back for much the same reasons. Only one piece to lug around and somewhat easier and more instantaneous to load sounds with the sound selection wheel. One of the key factors in my decision was also that I used the Octatrack as my setup’s brain/midi clock and it took my only midi input so I could not plug a midi keyboard there anymore. (I could’ve gotten round that with a midi merger, but for the price of a merger I’d rather just swap for AK.)

AK is great. I can take my clock through the midi in and I’ll still be able to play keys. The joystick and aftertouch are just amazing for expressiveness and it’s really good at controlling other gear too. If I had had the money I would’ve kept both, but having to choose between them I went for AK and would do it again.

3 Likes

That’s a valid point. The midi keyboard is cheap and very light.

1 Like

I have to take the midi clock from my band mate. But the midi in of my a4 is reserved for the keyboard. USB would be an option or a midi mercher.
Ak still seems a nicer solution here.
Is it that heavy?

I also have the fantasize that the AK could be more fun in the studio. I like the small format of the A4, but I always get my best melodies when I work on a keyboard. Don’t know if it makes much difference, but it looks more like a complete instrument.
Having both would also be nice, but i have too many elektrons already :wink:

1 Like

Ah missed that.
5,4 kg

Not long ago I started to play in band and had the same scenario – A4 + midi keyboard. I found that this is not useful as you have to connect everything together everytime you play on stage, ask two-level stand and something to place A4 on it. All the time I was thinking to replace A4 with AK. But I love A4mk1 form factor for groovebox staff and buying another synth with the same sound engine even with keyboard is not the best idea. I desided to buy Deepmind 12 for stage. And I can say that having keyboard in the synth is completly different thing compared to synth module + midi keybord + multiple audio and power cables. It is much more comfortable to play on stage with one instrument. The feeling is completely different and time for connecting is very short. Now I have 1 synth, 1 power cable + 1 audio cable in the soft case. So my advice is to replace A4 with AK. AK should be better option for lives than Deepmind as AK has multitimbrality and you able to change patches instantly by changing tracks.

2 Likes

Yeah the deepmind is not an option. I need the versatility of the A4/K.
Multitimbral, gorgeous sequencer, and the option to take care of a drum beat

I can’t use the a4 as a poly, i feel wasteful of the four tracks, so i would stay with the box. When I get back to it (soon, been busy with other gear) i plan on using it as a 3 track drum machine and bass. Also routinely use it as a 4 track ambient machine. So much other gear can do chords plus no sustain pedal on the ak. 3 octaves. Lastly i don’t like the display viewing angle. Too small and far, bothers my back. I like sitting with th a4 on my lap and it fits on many synths without requiring a second level on the stand, i currently have mine on a pedalboard with a Moogerfoofer. I’d say pick up cheap synth to play live alongside the a4. Or a controller for your phone/ipad

1 Like

I did swap MK1 for Keys 2 years ago and nerev regret. Its super cool to use use it live, it has amazing HOLD button for improvising drone intro/outro stuff(it also works with ext midi), though i never use it in poly mode i have Virus C connected to it and i always switch between AK and MIDI Ext.

…and yeeees - J O Y S T I C K=)))))))

2 Likes

For me it works quite well as poly. Sure when I use it on its own, I also try to get as most as possible out of the four tracks. But in the band, I can’t overload a song with 4 A4 tracks. I have to find my space in between the other instruments. I really like the A4 for pads. I also like it for Rhodes type poly sound (in the style of Radiohead’s everything in its right place).
I also like it for bass, though this job is mostly reserved for my band mate’s sub 37. And I like that I can play with pre-recorded sequences and add Fx sequences, Arps and casually analog drum beats to support the drummer :slight_smile:
I thought about minilogues, deepminds etc. but none of those give all these options at once as the A4/AK are able to offer.
The multitimbrality is also great. A nord lead would give me that, but then I’d need an external sequencer when I want to use drums or some fx sound sequence stuff. And… The performance mode is pretty awesome, if you know before what parameters you want to tweak for a song. Very immediate in a live situation.
So for me - A4 or AK.
Ipad is cool, but I don’t want to tweak synth parameters on a touch screen when playing live

2 Likes

Yeah, i think maybe i wasn’t clear. I don’t mean replacing the a4 with the ipad. I meant keeping the a4 as a supportive inst (with sequenced pads or drums or arps or whatever) and since you were alrrady thinking of getting a controller, using one for the ipad for rhodes sounds or strings etc, which don’t require parameter adjustments (although knobs on controllers handle these things well and you don’t have to use the glass).

I use a ju-06 live/jamming which is another 4 note poly with no sustain pedal, but just for pads and melodies and flourishes. Just a little spice.

1 Like

Yes i can imagine it does. I love the TAL Juno emulation for that stuff. I thought about the SH01A cause it’s also 4 note poly and it’s hard to get hands on the Ju06.
But I tried the SH01A and tought ok, nice, but nothing I can’t get with the A4 as well

never owned the A4 but the AK is awesome and is priced very reasonably second-hand these days. highly recommended. it definitely simplifies your rig and shortens your setup time. plus then you have more time to make fun of the drummer for endlessly adjusting the angle, height and distance of everything.

1 Like

Haha. Yeah i have to get used to this freedom. I used to be the guitarist who deperately tried to find out where the nasty noise from his pedalboard is coming from prior to the gig

Don’t play live much, but I did the swap a year ago and don’t regret it one bit. I had A4s before but felt it was an incomplete instrument. I don’t feel that with the Keys.

It’s small and light enough. I do recommend investing in the famous Underbridge though. For safety and looks.

1 Like