Renovating my home studio, looking for ideas

Well it’s the living room so it has to be something pretty :slight_smile:

Nothing you can really do about sound going through walls unless you literally build a false wall in front of the real one. Just make sure the speakers are decoupled via foam or whatever and try not to crank it up too loud.

3 Likes

So, instead of building a very long desk and having everything in a straight line, I’m thinking that I can probably build a smaller desk and utilize space a bit more efficiently, like having two rows of gear. That would minimize movement too.

I could either use stands, like these for example:

Or make a desk like this:

Any other ideas? I know L-shaped is ideal but I can’t make it happen in the living room so it’ll have to be a straight line.

I will get my L-shaped desk in the living room after all, it is possible and there are even 2 variations.

This is where the desk is supposed to be (red circle). I have my back on the window and I’m facing towards the kitchen:

The desk is not complete in the image but it will cover all the distance from beam to beam which is 2.3 meters. This will be my main desk with the PC in the center and synths and stuff around it. On the other side and facing the wall, I’ll have my DJ setup which I’m thinking should be around 1.5 meters.

This will be my view:

Or I could swap my main desk and DJ setup and have the main desk by the brickwall and DJ setup facing the kitchen. I prefer it the other way though.

Does this make sense? Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, recommendations?

3 Likes

You build your entire apartment with a 3D modelling software? That’s absolutely awesome!

Like that “open concept” between the rooms. Personally i would place the main setup on the L shaped table and place the DJ stuff in front of the brick walls. So you can enjoy locking in the kitchen while doing most of your work. Definitely would test sit to feel what is more enjoyable.

I planning to build my own studio space right now and this thread is a good inspiration!

1 Like

Hi,
Wait before embarking on expensive work
Start by framing your posters with a real fixed point on the wall
Contact an antique dealer who could find you an office or storage type commonplace or industrial
Maybe after that you’ll want to get into plaster and make rounded shapes in the wall like luke skywalker’s chillout on tatouine

tumblr_ojesxid9Bo1sypuuko1_400

I’m not the one doing the 3D work but the guy who is handling the renovation :slight_smile:

I proposed the “open concept” and he designed it, basically right now I have 2 walls around the kitchen which are going down and another one in the living room. It’s going to be a nice open area, hopefully.

I also prefer my main desk to be facing the kitchen, only negative I find is that I will have the sun on my back giving me monitor glare. Easy fix with curtains. Also, I’ll have to do some serious cable management because getting into the house and seeing a cable mess won’t be nice. On the plus side, my monitors won’t be next to a wall so sound should be much better.

1 Like

Superb to be continue !
And to finish a speaker installation with electric finishing on the beams and distributed in these 2 rooms !

What do you mean by that?

speakers hanging on the wall(beam)
Do you have your listening equipment?
What it is?

Very nice box handmade JuanSOLO !
I will take inspiration for the construction of the Elektron one ! ! !!

I made mine too !

100_0737%20-%20Copie

1 Like

Oh I see.

I’m using a pair of JBL LSR 305’s at the moment.

1 Like

Ok
It’s enough in monitoring and
Good value for money !

1 Like

Nilspils73 Studio: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nilspils/albums/72157623603944730

Join the Jaspers gang, I’m very happy with my Jaspers 3R-120S. There’s even addons for computer screens. Mine’s got wheels and the stand can be totally adjusted as your needs change, a desk can’t do that.
`

5 Likes

Still Looks bulky to me. What size is this in cm?

Here is my Ikea-driven 60cm * 200cm Setup with a similar modular approach. Every gear is exchangeable. The different levels are done by Ikea Bräda and Adam Hall laptop stands. Not in the Picture seen is a 19" Thomann Rack with 8u for the Power supply and the RME Fireface UC. I lifted Bräda with Lego bricks so that cables and wallwarts can disappear under them. Also not Seen is the big Ikea PAX cupboard with more Elektron Gear hidden, Like Digitakt and Ikea ISBERGET Tablet stand for it. Mixing is completely through the RME done ITB.

2 Likes

The ideal workspace will ofcourse differ, depending on your choice gear and workflow. I do heavy note and step editing on the Electribes, building into depth, like you do on a desk makes me stretch out my arms to much and fiddle around as my gear changes/needs for sampling/cable replugging, i did not like that. ymmv
I’ve got a thing for these adjustable rack solutions, i just think they’re neat :wink:

Size: 128 x 130cm
Inner size: 120cm
Adjustable depth: 50cm

2 Likes

Interessant! The depth is good, arm Length so to say. Where did you put the Monitors?

Oh yeah, these are lovely stands. I could add one in the future, if things get out of hand :wink:

I love having multiple levels.

I see that your desk depth is 60cm and it seems plenty, I was thinking around 90-100cm for mine…