Renovating my home studio, looking for ideas

I’m in the process of renovating my house which means that I can remake my studio exactly how I want it.

I can either A. dedicate a 3m x 3.7m room for my studio needs or B. move everything to a large side of the living room (5.25m), or C. use a cozy corner in the living room (4.8m x 2m). I still haven’t decided which is the best option. Pros and cons of either?

Here’s a recent pic of my gear in my current studio (which is in the 3m x 3.7m room I was talking about)

I plan on adding more desktop synths so I’m going to need a big desk. I was thinking an L-shaped desk, large side for PC/synths etc and smaller side for turntables and mixer. If, however, I use the large side of the living room everything needs to be in a straight desk.

I’m looking for desk/dimensions/lightning/decorative/material/color ideas, anything you can think of could help me a lot. With the gear I have, plus a few more desktop synths (no keyboards), which kind of desk would suit me better? I’ll probably have something custom made by a carpenter.

Those of you who went through the same process, do you have any tips to share before I get started?

Edit: I decided that I want my studio in the living room, currently in the process of designing the L-shaped desk and choosing the main side that I’ll be sitting.

Still looking for ideas :slight_smile:

Personally I’d stick with the dedicated room, much better IMHO.

In my room I opted for all white walls/ceiling and RGB lights to introduce colour to change the mood, pretty happy with it.

4 Likes

Check out Zaor studio furniture for some ideas Zaor studio furniture

1 Like

These Zaor Miza Desk is very interesting for me. Should be a big space for gear :wink:

There are so many opportunitys Zaor Desk, selfmade DIY Desk or Ikea modular desk.

1 Like

I would recommend some possibility to make music while standing - i dont know you job - but mine is IT - sitting all day - and having the ability to stand while turning knobs is refreshing. (Chair is still good too.) But the option to stand is quiete good and can lead to dancing. Maybe combine it with a dj mixer - a simple setup just for fun besides the “offical” studio part.

3 Likes

Those look nice but I think I’ll have a custom desk made by a carpenter. Output desk is nice too but it’s a little small for my needs.

1 Like

I prefer sitting :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:

1 Like

Dedicated room is much more wife compatible.

3 Likes

And kids

2 Likes

Plus you need sometimes an offtime from musicmaking, and it helps to not see Gear then.

I vote also for the Ikea DIY table. You get a Lot of table for extremely low Money. Plus it Looks great and its easy to add cupboards beneath it.

This is Ikea Linnmon table blade for 38€ 200cm x 60cm. And i attached 6 x Olov legs (12€ per piece)to it. Those can be extended from 60cm height, up to 110cm height. So great to fit the height to your Body size which is recommendes for stressfree working.
Beneath mine i put two 80x100cm tall Malm cupboards (89€), as you can See great for storing patch cables and all kinds of other things (FX Pedals, Elektron Manuals…) that you need while making Music. Great studio furniture for under 300€.

1 Like

It is indeed, I live alone though!

Yeah Ikea has plenty of options, ideally I’d want a desk with like triple the depth of that and maybe some levels too.

I do like having a lot of space!

Triple of depth? Thats Like 200cm x 180cm…not very comfy to reach stuff on the table. Think about a bit ergonomics. You want to place your gear in that way that it is within armlengths reach. 80cm depths is still okay and gives you enough depths space for placing Synths and Speaker.

1 Like

Taken from the “Your setups” thread, I hope he doesn’t mind. I was thinking something like this:

2 Likes

I wouldnt want that. Only If i had very Long Arms. If you sit in Front of that, you cant reach that mixing desk or the FX Pedals in the Back. Even to work with the Elektrons would give ne irritations and Back pains. The Sub 37 is a big synth and placed Well, but everything behind is literally Out of reach, and would make you to Bend way over the Sub37 to reach e.g. the Octatrack. This is a pure posing Picture, not a real workplace.

Here is a real workplace:

1 Like

But If you prefer the big one…try it out.

4 Likes

Very nice Keyboard section :slight_smile:

Not mine.

Yep L-shaped desk is the best, problem is that the side can only have my turntables and mixer so everything else have to fit on the main desk.