Recording midi output of existing DT patterns in Ableton

I’m trying to use digitakt as a sequencer for my ableton VSTs

After reading this discussion

and trying every combo of config I could imagine, I was finally
able to record the midi output of what I was playing(live) or recording in DT in an Ableton track.
Great!

But for patterns that already existed in DT, I couldn’t get any of their midi output recorded into Ableton. When I played an existing pattern in DT, could never receive it in Ableton.

Should I be able to do that?

yep, but not vice versa, DT can only record to one track at a time.

edit - maybe not over USB, have never tried. I use MIDI cables! And it works.

Thanks man909 for letting me know that it can be done. So I’ve been experimenting with everything I can think of.
I’ve tried so many combinations of config, I’m dizzy. I still can’t get an existing DT pattern to be received in an Ableton midi track.
Perhaps someone can look at my setup and suggest something I need to do.

Any comments much appreciated!

A screen cap of my Ableton setup is attached.

My DT Midi setup is:

Midi Config/Sync: All boxes unchecked
Midi Config/Port Config:
– Out Port Func = MIDI
– Input From = USB
– Output To = USB
– Output Chan = Auto Ch
— (everything else is default and unchecked)
Midi Config/Channels:
– Track K Channel K (for all tracks)
– Auto Channel 14
– Prog Chg In ch Auto
– Prog Chg Out Ch Auto

For the Pattern Midi Track settings 9 -16 settings :
– Track 9 = (1,1,1) e.g. chan = 1

47%20AM

I have “Sync” turned on but not sure that matters. My midi tracks are setup the same as yours. I am actually using the DT off USB or MIDI, works both ways.

you may want to try

Midi Config/Sync: All boxes unchecked
Midi Config/Port Config:
– Out Port Func = MIDI
– Input From = USB+MIDI
– Output To = USB+MIDI

Thank you for the feedback!!
I think I’ve tried every combo that is possible! I must be missing something simple. All the other midi controllers I hooked up were effortless and work.

Can I ask you a couple things?

In the midi tracks (9-16), did you only set the channel on one track?,…e.g. Midi A ( track 9)? (I set the channel to 1 on track 9)
Or did you also set other midi params on that track as well as on others?

You know man909, I think I misunderstood your first response:
:…yep, but not vice versa, DT can only record to one track at a time.”

Are you saying when you send midi to Ableton, you can only record one sound (instrument) at a time?

If so, I’ve been trying to do something that will not work! record on existing multi sound midi pattern in Ableton.

I’ll stop with the questions now!
and Thanks!

no, i mean that DT sequencer can only record one track at a time. Ableton can do many at a time.

i turn all the channel tracks OFF for both MIDI and audio. i dont have any need for them except in special circumstances. i assign the channel i want the midi track to control in the SRC page.

what you are trying to do is possible.

If the DT is triggering your synth, then why wouldnt it be triggering ableton? sounds like there is an issue with the midi input on your DAW.

It’s late and maybe i’m just out of gas.
but i’m still not able to figure this out. maybe i’ll have a fresh approach in the AM, but just for clarification,
Let me try expressing this in a different way.

If I set up 8 tracks with different VSTs in Ableton, and set midi track 9-16 to have SRC channels 1-8,
I can record sequences for each VST one at a time into Ableton. Great!

But if I take a factory preset pattern, say A01, I can’t get the midi sequence for the DT-internal sounds to be sent to and recorded in Ableton. in any way at all!
I have tried every midi config i’ve read about in the manual and still can’t get this to work. But if you think this should be possible, i’ll keep digging.

Thanks for all the help!

If i understand your question correct you would like to record midi from track 1-8. Track 1-8 ie the tracks holding your internal sounds, dosn’t send sequencer midi data. So you cant record midi from them only audio (and cc messages i belive).
Perhaps possible to copy sequences from audio track 1-8 to midi midi track 9-16 and record them, haven’t tried.

The Digitakt sequencer can record to multiple tracks (both audio and midi) at the same time.

Digitakt audio channels don’t output midi notes when the sequencer is running. But you can copy the trigs from an audio track to a midi track to be able to get the midi notes out to external gear or into your DAW.

1 Like

I stand corrected! I’ve never even bothered to try, just thought that’s the way it was. I assume you set up the channel tracks appropriately, hit record and send 16 channels of MIDI data and it will record to all 16?

to the op, oh sorry, thought you meant the MIDI tracks 9-16. Tracks 1-8 are a no go.

Fantastic!!,…now I finally understand!!
I don’t think I explained the situation very well originally man909 because I was in the midst of trying to learn how it all works.

But now all of your combined comments explain everything very clearly and explicitly!. Thank you so much everyone!