Random trigs : probability hacks on old trinity

you’d need an external midi input but CC3 on relevant channel is MUTE On/Off for :elmm:

there’s a few approaches to achieve random, conditional and weighted probability triggering the mutes from ableton/max etc

No… as I was trying to explain, the DEPTH value (on MM at least) does not control the actual LFO value, it is the amount by which the LFO value affects the target parameter. So when a RAND LFO affects the depth, it is setting it to continuous, random values, not switching it between the min and max limits of the square wave shape.

What we need is a random way of trigging either max or min values, and I think a random LFO on the rate of a square LFO set to HOLD would probably do it, as it would change the rate at which the square LFO is cycling in the background, while not causing on-off effects on the amp vol between trigs.

2 Likes

cheers for the tips … tried this on the machinedrum, works nicely.

lfo square wave on hihat volume parameter, used the bassdrum’s lfo, set to random, to target the hihat’s lfo speed.

awesome!

2 Likes

Nice! Good to hear. Looking forward to experimenting later. I want to find a way to adjust the relative probability… :sketchy:

1 Like

Hi Hat’s lfo:

Param = vol

Shape 1 is set to square
(and the Shape Mix is all the way left, using Shape 1 for the lfo data)

Update is Hold

Speed is 103

Depth is 119

Bassdrum’s LFO is routed to the Hi Hat track
Param is LFOSpeed, Shape 1 is Random and the Shape Mix is all the way left.

Update is Hold

Speed is 41

Depth is 127

Voila, probability trigs achieved on Machinedrum yay :slight_smile:

cheers for the awesome thread.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I suck at this kind of deep math/theory and unable to follow the thought through to its conclusion without being hands on, but wondering if midi loopback might also have an option for this kind of workaround on OT if you have spare midi tracks?

1 Like

i just thought about that as well but then you would need to really make sure that things don’t go wrong at some point (MIDI loop probability :open_mouth: :slight_smile: ) especially in a liveset…

Ah, that was where I’d seen it! Thanks.

Ok I see it now… Indeed it does work. :thup:
Can’t see how to achieve a x% right now, but I’ll think about it :slight_smile:

isn’t it magnificent? omg cheers for the inspiration fabulous peoples :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cheers for the share. this was the key to achieving probability trigs on the machinedrum. i like the way you think.

4 Likes

Let’s give back to Caesar what’s Caesar’s :thup:
Thank you @finalform and @previewlounge !!
:smiley:

1 Like

The same solution is actually mentioned by one or two people in the second thread @Open_Mike quoted so hat tip to him - I’d seen that thread and either not clocked that particular tip or not remembered it. Could have saved myself some thinking…

I will still try to come up with a way of adjusting the overall probability though.

1 Like

My secondary function is an Elektronauts reference librarian, [Function] + [me thinking] while in Elektronauts surfing mode. When I see interesting things I bookmark them, and I have a good memory. I haven’t even tried the probability hack yet but look forward to it. :nosey:
Thanks should go to the folks in that thread…
But hey while we’re at it why not thank all the Elektronauts for being alive!
Give yourself a pat on the back today whoever you are, you deserve it :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

very much grateful for O.M.'s fantastic contribution to this newfound “probability ability” for the original trinity…
(or possibly more appropriately, ‘rediscovered’ probability ability) :slight_smile:

as regards overall probability …

i wonder if a third lfo targeting depth of the second lfo would have some kind of reliable percentile influence?

1 Like

No, assuming the random lfo averages out to 0 over time, changing the depth wouldn’t do much except make it more or less random. I.e. If you modulated the random lfo down to 0 depth, the occurrences of note on/off would just become tied to the square wave’s rate.

What I’m wondering about is if you could do the ol’ static LFO trick to keep the square wave permanently ‘high’ by default, and then increase how often it gets modulated from that position.

I’ve only done that static LFO trick on MD though. I’m not sure if you can do the same lfo blend method on MM.

Maybe there’s a way to use the interlace control (which alternates the lfo value with zero), but as I think that’s just a rate control rather than a mix, it wouldn’t be continuously variable. You might be able to get one different state out of it though, i.e. a state where an on note could be changed to an off note half the time. So you might end up with a 50% probability and a 25% probability. Or something.

1 Like

how about this for an idea: utilise a triangle wave at 4 times the speed of the others, inserted between or before the two other LFO’s?

the oT has 3 LFO’s per track. merely using two of the LFO’s will make it possible to achieve probability trigs using this technique as made possible on the Machinedrum, only it is easier on the OT, no reassigning of LFO required.

anyway here is the technique:

Hi Hat’s lfo:
Param = vol
Shape 1 is set to square (and the Shape Mix is all the way left, using Shape 1 for the lfo data)
Update is Hold
Speed is 103
Depth is 119
Bassdrum’s LFO is routed to the Hi Hat track Param is LFOSpeed, Shape 1 is Random and the Shape Mix is all the way left.
Update is Hold
Speed is 41
Depth is 127

add some trigs to the hihat track and press play.

sometimes all trigs will play, sometimes only a few.

2 Likes

not familiar with OT or MnM…
but here’s one such trick for MD(UW) from memory:

it has this thing where you can use the inputs to trigger 2 internal tracks.
so patch out 2 tracks from the individual outputs, e.g. using some sample which has several clicks in it, and patch them back into the inputs.
Now you can use these samples to trigger 2 internal tracks…
gotta tweak the input trigger sensitivity…
then p-lock/LFO the click sample…
it gives you microtiming if the clicks in the sample land between steps (tuning!), and since the triggering is not really super perfect at all, a bit of modulation/filter/whatever on the click sample track easily gives you some randomness…

3 Likes