Rack screws to deep damages printboard (PCB)

My printboard (PCB) suffered severe damage since I’ve place the Analog Four in a rack. The holes where you screw in the screws are so close to the the PCB that they’ve touched the PCB.
As you problebly can understand I’m very sad with this situation: the analog isn’t working anymore and I’ve lost my reportoire.

I’m really surprised that the holes are manufactured so close to the PCB, while there is space left a few inches further. Further, in the manual is not a single warning that a disaster like this can happen. By warning for example that a screw should not be longer than size x, or it will damage the PCB.

So watch out with those screws.

I feel for you, that’s a tragedy.
There are plenty of warnings on the forum about this (like this one), although i agree that Elektron should advise users in the manual as you suggest

To be fair, the holes have to be where they are as the official rack ears have been established for a long time … further, due to the components, the offset spacing of the board is also set

Mechanically, a screw will only be usefully loaded on a few of the threads, so it was not ever a good plan to trust that a long screw would just work out - i used cocktail sticks to establish how long the screws could be when i made stands

On the plus side, i would suggest that the repair required would be possibly achievable for a competent electronics engineer with a steady hand and a decent magnifying glass

Those tracks can possibly be intercepted and bridged away from the carnage, that way, you may still have access to the contents, obviously proceed with care and if you’re going to replace the board then that could still be an option if you have no computer backup

grim way for you to learn about this though, gutted for you :nej: and thanks for sharing the warning, hope it plays out not too painful

2 Likes

Hello,

Lucky for me some electronics engineer has fix the printboard for me. :grinning:
I’m so glad he did it within a day because I can’t life without the machine.
Thanks for your reaction and you’re right, there’s nothing wrong with the data.:slight_smile:
It was a good lesson for me to first check the inside before you screw!

2 Likes